Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 08:19 AM

1,690 posts, read 611,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
The first newspapers, in the U.S. and elsewhere (colonial days and earlier), were published and sold for the purpose of spreading the opinions of the publisher. They often threw in news articles to get people to buy them and read them - a practice that continues to this day.

Just as, today, most TV shows are aired for the purpose of getting people to watch the commercials.

The news didn't "stop being the news". Because it never started.
Agree. The “news” has always been a form of propaganda for the owner and/or editor. What has changed is the quality of journalists. They at least would investigate leads and be a little more balanced in their reporting. Any balance that was there is gone. I think that really started during the Clinton presidency and has accelerated as internet and social media have taken off. This combined with decades of Russian influence in our schools and media establishment has brought to where we are now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 01:09 PM

13,722 posts, read 7,992,868 times
When did the news stop being the news

Not sure but I recall during the 2000 election - the NY Times, Washington Post, CNN being considered the gold standard when posting a source.

I first started posting on message boards (not here) during the 2000 election. It was the Wild West. Two, three posts and the flame wars often started. Bush vs. Gore. Remember the days after the election leading up to Bush being declared the winner? Oh, that was a wild time.

Today on C/D we’re much more civil or maybe not. Maybe the civility is a result of the board is closely moderated. Take away the moderators… and watch the knives come out.

Last edited by john3232; 02-28-2024 at 02:34 PM..

Old 02-28-2024, 02:00 PM

10,754 posts, read 4,344,063 times
I was going to say when they treated Obama like a dumb little child needing his mommy.
But I agree Clinton-Lewinsky was the turning point.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:29 AM

600 posts, read 1,028,034 times
I believe everything changed after the 2000 election.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:56 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginwaterland View Post
Agree. The “news” has always been a form of propaganda for the owner and/or editor.
There was only a very small window that the "news" was actually good and unbiased. From 1949 to 1987 the fairness doctrine existed and news had to be unbiased.

Remember Hearst and Pulitzer caused the Spanish-American War because they published biased sensationalist "news".

Old 03-04-2024, 09:03 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginwaterland View Post
Agree. The “news” has always been a form of propaganda for the owner and/or editor. What has changed is the quality of journalists. They at least would investigate leads and be a little more balanced in their reporting. Any balance that was there is gone. I think that really started during the Clinton presidency and has accelerated as internet and social media have taken off. This combined with decades of Russian influence in our schools and media establishment has brought to where we are now.
What hasn`t changed is the danger associated with being a journalist. 45 of them were killed in 2023 for doing their jobs. Russian influence? You bet. The former FBI agent who told the whoppers about the Bidens does indeed work for Putin and the MAGAS. Smirnov was caught "Red handed", so to speak.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarador...h=3bb36fc9e871

Old 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,559,995 times
When Fox News was created.

Old 03-04-2024, 01:02 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
It seems like these days, it's all driven by clicks for views (i.e. profit from advertisers) or pushing an agenda with all these "opinion" pieces. Even the non-opinion articles are leading you to a conclusion that they want you to have.
Nobody straight up reports news without any bias these days.
When I read about a crazy person who shoots his entire family, where is the bias? Did the evil media just report the mass murder for clicks? Do they have an agenda? It`s really hard to keep these events a secret. That`s a non-opinion straight up news story but what kind of conclusion are we supposed to have? Some would say they only report mass murders because they`re anti-gun.

Old 03-04-2024, 01:50 PM

31,033 posts, read 22,070,533 times
The politics of the owners of the news media are reflected in what they cover and the politicats of their sources. If the owners/creators are hard core Progressives their content will be exactly that.

Old 03-04-2024, 04:28 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
The politics of the owners of the news media are reflected in what they cover and the politicats of their sources. If the owners/creators are hard core Progressives their content will be exactly that.
Same with posters.
I notice this, every time the peanut gallery comes to a thread like this, to trash Trump supporters and display their Trump Derangement Syndrome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media