Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Consider PTSD a Real Disability?
yes 108 89.26%
no 4 3.31%
No. It's just another way to milk the government 3 2.48%
other 2 1.65%
not sure 4 3.31%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 09:12 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes...I wondered what it was all about until I was in a car wreck where some idiot on his cell phone didn't see that everyone in front of him had stopped on the freeway (because of another idiot driver who decided he was in the wrong lane)...so he smashed into me at highway speed and caused a 7 car pile-up.

No one was seriously hurt, and I am not saying that I have PTSD or trying to downplay what it means to others who have it, but ever since then, when I have to come to a sudden stop on the road, my whole body goes cold, my heart seems to stop for a second...it's a crazy mild form and it has gotten better over time (not to mention I leave room for the idiot behind me to stop and I am always watching him)...but I get it now...a little idea of what it probably means to have the PTSD.
Yes you do have a mild form. It's like you are back in that moment when it is triggered and you have no choice. Your body actually reacts like you are in that moment. If it wasn't such a physical reaction that also affects your mind, it wouldn't be so bad but how do you solve a body response too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 04:34 PM

26,720 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Both of my father's feet were blown off by shrapnel in World War II...
That's a very poignant story.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:56 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,006 times
Yes and it nearly got me in trouble....
Several years ago I was working with a guy who was very bossy and loud. I've dealt with that and abuse as a kid and I vowed that I would never take such as an adult! One day this guy really pushed my buttons. I got my gun (I owned one at the time), went up to him with my gun in hand, and snarled at him in a low voice that if he ever disrespected me again, I'll blow his ******* head off! Normally, I'd never act that way, and I don't know who was more scared, him or me! Nothing else was ever said and the guy never disrespected me again. Very next day, I got rid of my gun - sold it to a gunsmith. Sometimes a person can scare even him/herself!

Old 06-13-2015, 10:34 PM

22 posts, read 35,579 times
I struggle with PTSD, amongst other things. I used to trigger all of the time, but have been managing my illness with medication and the support of a very loving husband. I would not go off my medication if someone paid me! I tried once, thinking that I was 'cured' after a serious relapse in symptoms and a very near divorce, I decided it was in my best interest to stay on my medication. My spouse and I are approaching our 25th anniversary this year. Thank God for his grace in finding me help or I would not be alive today.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:59 PM

491 posts, read 402,442 times
I know that there are many theories about the nature of PTSD, and many approaches to treatment. I was exposed to several significant stressors in my childhood (homelessness, etc). About ten years ago, a natural disaster occurred in my town and destroyed my home, while I was in it. I thought I was going to die. A few months after that, I was in a bad car accident at 70 mph (not driving) and again, really thought my life was in danger.

Shortly after that I began to have symptoms of PTSD (re-experiencing, etc.). I couldn't leave the rental home where I was staying, I was afraid something would happen to my dogs or the house would burn down. I couldn't drive, I was too afraid. I was just terrified to leave the house. Nightmares. I had to go on short-term disability for three months. My job at the time involved lots of traveling and there was just no way I could do it.

I'm much better now, I had several kinds of treatment, and still take medication. I still consider it a "disability" but not in the sense that I need a parking permit or anything. But it definitely prevents me from doing some of the things that I love to do. Scuba diving, hiking caves, anything that takes me underground. Even some public transit gives me pause.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:07 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,123,907 times
I was just diagnosed in February with it. I was in counseling and did enough research on the subject that I had questioned both therapists on whether or not I could have it and they both told me no. Although they were both in their 40's, they were of the belief that only Vets get it. I was in such a dark place for those three years and I just prayed to die every day. Something from my past reared it's ugly head and I was diagnosed with it.

I had to attend workshops before my counseling began and I actually attended the PTSD workshop twice. I asked the speaker if Workplace Bullying could have caused my prior three year of living in the darkest hole I've ever been in and she said most definitely yes.

I've had four major tragedies in my life prior to this incident and I've always been able to bounce back and come to terms and learn lessons from them. I wasn't able to do that this time and my life stopped.

I think my trauma from childhood was a blessing in disguise because I'm now being treated for both of the events that caused the PTSD. I'm being treated by someone that specializes in PTSD. The therapy is totally different and I am living again and no longer pray to die. I see an end to the three years of living in that dark place already and I've only had five counseling sessions.

I advise ANYONE who thinks they may have it to contact your local R@pe Center. Those people specialize in PTSD and open their own practices. They can refer you to one of their former therapists. If your therapist isn't helping you and educating you on the subject, then don't waste your money or your insurance's money and your life! I wasted three years on therapists that didn't keep themselves educated in their field. That was truly a lesson learned for me being so naive.

In my case, it was debilitating, but I see hope for my future now that I'm getting the proper treatment.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:29 PM

6,385 posts, read 6,272,804 times
People think PTSD is all about the "military." Most cases of PTSD are from sexual assaults such as rape or ongoing child molestation.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:36 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,427 times
I just picked up this book the other day:
Trauma Stewardship: An Everyday Guide to Caring for Self While Caring for Others: Laura Van Dernoot Lipsky, Connie Burk: 9781576759448: Amazon.com: Books
and I've read half of it so far. It's not specifically about PTSD, but as someone who has had to deal with PTSD in the past few years, I have found this book relevant to PTSD. It addresses the issues that arise when a person is emotionally and mentally taxed on a daily basis to the point that they develop burnout. PTSD can definitely cause burnout!

Old 06-18-2015, 09:40 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes...I wondered what it was all about until I was in a car wreck where some idiot on his cell phone didn't see that everyone in front of him had stopped on the freeway (because of another idiot driver who decided he was in the wrong lane)...so he smashed into me at highway speed and caused a 7 car pile-up.

No one was seriously hurt, and I am not saying that I have PTSD or trying to downplay what it means to others who have it, but ever since then, when I have to come to a sudden stop on the road, my whole body goes cold, my heart seems to stop for a second...it's a crazy mild form and it has gotten better over time (not to mention I leave room for the idiot behind me to stop and I am always watching him)...but I get it now...a little idea of what it probably means to have the PTSD.
I'm with you there. Sorry to hear about your experience. It's hard to get the courage to drive again, and it's emotionally and even physically stressful every single time you have to go in the car. An experience like that stays in your subconscious mind for the rest of your life, so even if you mentally tell yourself not to be afraid, your subconscious mind causes your body to tense up and makes you panic.

I was also in a car accident almost a year ago where I spun out across 3 lanes doing 70 on the freeway, because my tires were bald (I didn't know it, as I had just been to the dealership the week before, and they told me everything was fine for me to make a road trip) and I almost hit an oncoming truck, and ended up hitting the guard rail. I am still afraid when I drive on the highway that someone is going to do something crazy at any minute, or that my car is going to loose control for apparently no reason.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:47 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
I just picked up this book the other day:
Trauma Stewardship: An Everyday Guide to Caring for Self While Caring for Others: Laura Van Dernoot Lipsky, Connie Burk: 9781576759448: Amazon.com: Books
and I've read half of it so far. It's not specifically about PTSD, but as someone who has had to deal with PTSD in the past few years, I have found this book relevant to PTSD. It addresses the issues that arise when a person is emotionally and mentally taxed on a daily basis to the point that they develop burnout. PTSD can definitely cause burnout!
Thanks, I need that book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
I'm with you there. Sorry to hear about your experience. It's hard to get the courage to drive again, and it's emotionally and even physically stressful every single time you have to go in the car. An experience like that stays in your subconscious mind for the rest of your life, so even if you mentally tell yourself not to be afraid, your subconscious mind causes your body to tense up and makes you panic.

I was also in a car accident almost a year ago where I spun out across 3 lanes doing 70 on the freeway, because my tires were bald (I didn't know it, as I had just been to the dealership the week before, and they told me everything was fine for me to make a road trip) and I almost hit an oncoming truck, and ended up hitting the guard rail. I am still afraid when I drive on the highway that someone is going to do something crazy at any minute, or that my car is going to loose control for apparently no reason.
This applies to me also, but longer than a year ago. Also, I worked at a trucking company, so I know how tired truckers get, how angry some of them get, with people in cars, the things that fall off the trucks and cause accidents. Most of them are hard working, great people, but semis are dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health