Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Consider PTSD a Real Disability?
yes 108 89.26%
no 4 3.31%
No. It's just another way to milk the government 3 2.48%
other 2 1.65%
not sure 4 3.31%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 08:38 PM

876 posts, read 814,294 times

Advertisements

PTSD isn't listed as a cause of death in suicide statistics. It almost killed me and I wasn't in the military. Many people go through the extreme stress of combat and come out scarred, but able to transition to a calmer life.

Some people like me were susceptible to the effects of extreme psychological stress due to pre-existing mental illness-such as Borderline Personality Disorder.

There were three concurrent things that led to a meltdown. 1) Job loss 2) Mortgage default 3) Series of romantic misadventures. A lot of people could weather all three with no problem. But after several months of anxiety, insomnia, and nothing going well, my nervous system just gave out. When I tried to close my eyes and go to sleep, I experienced the sound of my own primal screams that came out of me involuntarily. A pillow helped to stifle the screams; I was afraid the neighbors would call 911. This happened as many 50 times a night until I finally fell asleep for maybe a couple hours for a week Also, I went into convulsions (they used to call it shell shock) where your body just shakes uncontrollably. For two weeks I just waited to die pretty much and rode it out. (no health insurance at the time). I lost days and weeks of memory. I couldn't leave my apartment for days at a time, and was a recluse for about 6 months. What saved me financially was cashing out my 401ks, which some people don't have.

So, yes, I can say PTSD is real. Someone who has gone through it can of course go back to being as or more productive than they were, but it is a life-changer either way. I consider myself fortunate to have survived it without going on disability.

Last edited by A1eutian; 12-06-2018 at 09:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 11:54 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,157,537 times
A lot of victims of violent crime suffer PTSD and don't really understand their symptoms for a long time.

I was violently assaulted in the mid-2000s (a violent rape) and because I was knocked out for part of the assault I thankfully don't remember some of it.

I started having flashback nightmares and would have a panic attack after waking up.

I'm still recovering. But I am still alive. Those people tried to kill me but they failed.

Old 03-17-2023, 06:07 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,758,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
PTSD is scary real. My husband has had it since Viet Nam. There's no cure for him, it's always going to be there. It causes so much bad stuff...in his case, he's an alcoholic (dry since 2002), has fear of closed spaces, nightmares, his employment history was just job to job to job. Relationships not so easy. He's in treatment now, with medication. He was a kid when he got to Viet Nam. They kept him there a long time, year after year after year. If you slept you died there, he once said. So insomnia is one of his problems. It sucks.
There is a cure for the vast majority of people who undergo MDMA assisted psychotherapy. It’s in the investigative phase now but will be approved by 2024 so says my therapist.
If you want more info on it go to MAPS.ORG

Old 03-19-2023, 07:25 PM

112 posts, read 120,293 times
I definitely know that PTSD is real. In 2018, I was held down by someone who was religiously delusional, and he thought he was saving me from Satan on the floor. He held me captive for a terrifying 6 hours, and I thought he was going to eventually kill me because he thought I was carrying the next Jesus and we were going to usher in a new prophet of god.

I wake up in cold sweats every few weeks just from this one event. I can't go by a church, or talk to a religious person without feeling triggered and having a panic attack.

Old 03-19-2023, 10:31 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,758,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
A lot of victims of violent crime suffer PTSD and don't really understand their symptoms for a long time.

I was violently assaulted in the mid-2000s (a violent rape) and because I was knocked out for part of the assault I thankfully don't remember some of it.

I started having flashback nightmares and would have a panic attack after waking up.

I'm still recovering. But I am still alive. Those people tried to kill me but they failed.

I’m so sorry that this happened to you. My brother and I were sexually assaulted by an older cousin, so I identify with you.
Regarding your statement about PTSD sufferers who don’t understand their symptoms I agree.
In my case my past therapists misdiagnosed my illness.
I finally found a trauma informed therapist after over 30 years of off and on, mostly on, therapy. He diagnosed me right away.
This was just 6 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health