Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 05:22 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,341,111 times

Advertisements

Why do people isolate when they have problems? What are some of your thoughts about it? Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 05:45 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,028,038 times
I think it's very natural to isolate when having problems. First, there is the thought that it takes too much work to put on a smile or "be on." Then there is the thought that people don't want to burden other people with their problems. Then there is the fear that if you do tell people they might reject you and that will make everything even worse. So these are a few of the reasons I think people withdraw and isolate.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:46 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,669,059 times
its like not shaving and bathing. if nobody says anything about it, u get used to it.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:47 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,814,160 times
Oh my God, where to begin? I isolate myself because I am divorced and lost all my friends in the divorce. I'm also unemployed and depressed. Who wants to be around a divorced, unemployed, depressed person? Nobody really cares because they all have their own problems. So why not isolate? Nobody cares.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:35 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,028,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Oh my God, where to begin? I isolate myself because I am divorced and lost all my friends in the divorce. I'm also unemployed and depressed. Who wants to be around a divorced, unemployed, depressed person? Nobody really cares because they all have their own problems. So why not isolate? Nobody cares.
Gosh, I almost could have written this word for word myself.

I didn't lose all my friends in the divorce though, but I pretty much have lost all my friends or just ended the friendships.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:46 PM

37,194 posts, read 42,388,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I found the opposite to be true, but of course I had to care about their problems too. I isolated, and still do somewhat, when my marriage fell apart too. I knew I was going a little crazy and getting depressed so I reached out to the two people I know that my H had nothing to do with and practically forced them to be my friend. They did help, but you are right, they had their own problems and we just sort of bounced things off each other. We bonded over our problems..lol. I never really knew they had such issues and probably never would have if I hadn't been the one to break first and admit my life was pretty bad. The good thing now is we get together to have fun and get our minds off the crap and don't talk about the problems as much

I'm a natural loner though, I need way more down time and alone time than the average person does. I always have.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:46 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,334,764 times
I isolate. I'm a naturally reclusive person who requires a significant amount of solitude. When I am dealing with something, I "turn inward." That's how I describe it. I turn inward and focus on it to the exclusion of all else and deal with it. I tend to not leave my home (except for work or to run necessary errands) and I don't do anything social with my friends. I don't email or FB or engage. I just turn inward for a time and then rejoin the land of the living once I've gotten to a better place. (I do tend to warn my friends and family, though, instead of just suddenly going dark and silent. I tell them that I'm about to turn inward to work through something, but if I find that I need their help, I'll reach out and ask for it.)

Old 11-19-2011, 09:54 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,341,111 times
It seems like there is a stigma attached to someone who has "repeated problems." Maybe this isn't true but it sure feels this way...My husband battled cancer and died last year. This year my son has been in and out of hospitals and had repeated surgeries for a brain tumor that grew back fast...Anyway he's not "out of the woods" yet but we both try to stay hopeful and positive...I don't know anyone else who has been through "so much" all in a row. And this seems to set me apart from other people...I just "go it alone" most of the time because I don't want to seem like a "party pooper!" (Even though I don't talk about my son non-stop.)...Sometimes I feel like a "leper" among my friends and family because my life has taken such a different course. I'm not looking for pity! And I don't want to be viewed as a "downer" either...Anyway I don't call people very often. I just "do my own thing" and try to stay hopeful and strong for myself and my son...Last week one of my friends "lost" her sister to cancer. I tried to be "there" for her. I can definitely relate to her "loss."....I called my cousin last night to wish her "happy birthday" and "happy Thanksgiving" etc. Every now and then my cousin apologized for talking about all of her "happy times" and plans for the holidays. (Due to my situation with my son.) I don't want to make anyone feel guilty for being happy or having fun! Maybe this is why I don't call people very often! And why I don't receive too many calls...Nobody knows what to say to me! And I understand this now.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:55 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,712,406 times
Because no one gives a sh1t. People have their own problems, nobody wants to hear about mine. Only attention wh00res command that other people care about their problems. It isn't the healthiest thing in the world, but I just sit in my apartment, open a bottle of red, and look forward to the next day. This is your fate once you are over 40 and are unhappy. People have lives now, they have family and friends. For those who don't, tough luck.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:32 PM

233 posts, read 754,695 times
Hmm...

I always took that natural inclination to isolate myself as a sign that I needed to deal with a particular rhythm that was not sitting well with me. Sometimes you feel and have to do. Sometimes things happen and you have to stop and feel. Then I come back stronger and wiser to that experience and circumstances leading up to, and also the feeling being within it. Then finally how to resolve it.

That is the end and I come out of the isolation as a stronger individual. This process can last any amount of time but working intelligently forward for matters of efficiency becomes a matter of focus and concentration.

GCG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health