Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 12:23 AM

6,386 posts, read 4,849,980 times

Advertisements

Kirkland (Costco) Sleep Aid. 2 tablets every night for maybe 20 years. Works great!
I couldn't handle Ambien.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 02:00 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,594,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post

Kirkland (Costco) Sleep Aid. 2 tablets every night for maybe 20 years. Works great!

I couldn't handle Ambien.
thanks for mentioning it. Here is info on it. Kirkland Sleep Aid can be purchased at Amazon.com and elsewhere too.

Kirkland Signature Sleep Aid Tablets active ingredient is Doxylamine Succinate 25mg, an antihistamine, that maybe used as a sleep aid by adults and children 12 years and older

Doxylamine succinate is one of the most sedating antihistamines available over-the-counter (stronger than diphenhydramine). A single dose causes rapid and marked drowsiness in the vast majority of individuals. Doxylamine succinate is eliminated somewhat more slowly from the body than diphenhydramine hydrochloride.

"The bottom line. People sometimes use antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine and doxylamine succinate, to combat insomnia. These over-the-counter medications are OK for occasional use in most people. However, they may increase the risk for dementia and Alzheimer's disease if taken long-term." May 7, 2021

Antihistamines for Sleep: Is It Safe? - Healthline
https://www.healthline.com/health/he...mine-for-sleep

Last edited by matisse12; 06-22-2021 at 02:21 PM..

Old 06-22-2021, 07:33 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,755,132 times
Sometime I want to try medical marijuana but how do you know what kind to buy? Do the places that sell it interview you like a doctor to figure out what you need? Then also, can you get to choose something that you can bake? Smoking is smelly and unhealthy so it cancels out the good that medical mj might do.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:46 PM

2,525 posts, read 2,082,036 times
Marijuana comes in 2 types.

Sativa is for daytime use.

Indica is for night time use.

I use indica, either for smoking or making brownies.

There was awhile there, a long time ago when I tried using Benadryl..that was the worst. It gave me horrible dreams.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:28 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,594,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
Marijuana comes in 2 types.

Sativa is for daytime use.

Indica is for night time use.

I use indica, either for smoking or making brownies.

There was awhile there, a long time ago when I tried using Benadryl..that was the worst. It gave me horrible dreams.
Do you prefer smoking MJ rather than MJ gummies? If so, why? Have you tried MJ gummies?

Old 06-23-2021, 12:12 PM

1,762 posts, read 762,562 times
ZzzQuil and Olly's Melatonin Gummies can help.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:33 PM

2,525 posts, read 2,082,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Do you prefer smoking MJ rather than MJ gummies? If so, why? Have you tried MJ gummies?
I've always smoked.

While out to dinner w/my gfriends the other night we got to talking about the gummies.
One of my gfriends husband has cancer so he's been buying them for the pain and I guess to help him sleep.

She gets them delivered to her door. A jar full ...100mg. I'm thinking they're prob 5mg each...in a jar of 20.
She's bn taking them herself now too. To keep her calm.

I know the gummies are quite popular, I've just never done many edibles. I guess because I dont know how I'm going to feel. Smoking it...I'm an old pro...lol

Hope that helps!

ETA: i also get my weed delivered.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:39 PM

3,125 posts, read 2,080,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Anyone over age 65 should be very careful with Benadryl. It causes memory loss in older people. Probably fine for younger people though.

Some people (like me, for instance) have had chronic insomnia for years and years. Nothing works. I know it started a long time ago when a dr put me on an antidepressant called elavil that didn't do anything for me except make me very tired and I slept day and night. After I got off that medicine, I could never sleep naturally again. I tried going back on and weaning myself off but that didn't work either. A few years ago I read that elavil depletes the neurotransmitter called gaba. So that is the problem right there and there is no way to fix it.

Some of us have a physical issue like a lack of a certain chemical, in this case, the neurotransmitter. In most cases the missing link is serotonin and that's why drs prescribe Trazadone. But the people who are lacking in gaba mostly get ignored and, of course, Trazadone doesn't work for them. If you could just take a gaba pill, it would be great but there's no such thing (that really works.) Benzos, however, boost gaba temporarily. That's why Klonopin works for some people when nothing else does. It's a last resort when there's nothing else you can do, but we all need to sleep so I am very thankful that my dr will prescribe it for me. If people can find something simple and safer, like a tea or some extra magnesium or calcium, or if they have bad sleep habits like using their bedroom for work, that's better than a prescription. Calms Forte is a combination over the counter sleep aid that works for a lot of people.
Have you tried B complex to eliminate the possibility of deficiencies as the cause? Elavil depletes B6 and even a mild deficiency down-regulates gaba. B vitamins are key for the production of neurotransmitters and maintaining adequate levels of neurochemicals. B12 appears to enhance gaba, regulate circadian rhythm, increase production of melatonin, and more. B2 and others play a role as well. Many seniors are deficient in B vitamins even when they get the RDAs from diet due to certain health conditions and/or medications.

Old 06-25-2021, 11:19 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,620,373 times
Physical work during the day, especially anything that makes me sweat. Nothing makes me sleep like a baby more than hard work, gardening, yard work, anything outside in the fresh air.
In the winter I'm prone to insomnia, so I know there's a direct correlation here. Interesting that I can sleep more soundly on longer days, yet am up before the dawn in winter if I don't exercise.

Old 06-25-2021, 11:52 AM

6,886 posts, read 7,911,685 times
Holy cow, I struggled with sleep issues for years, I thought it was due to anxiety.

I was taking massive doses of melatonin but didn't want to become dependent on anything. Thanks to the pandemic I could sleep whenever I wanted so I finally caught up.

I started taking magnesium for my joint health and I have been sleeping much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know it would help with sleep issues. I sleep about 9 hours per night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health