Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 12:34 PM

2,525 posts, read 2,081,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Holy cow, I struggled with sleep issues for years, I thought it was due to anxiety.

I was taking massive doses of melatonin but didn't want to become dependent on anything. Thanks to the pandemic I could sleep whenever I wanted so I finally caught up.

I started taking magnesium for my joint health and I have been sleeping much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know it would help with sleep issues. I sleep about 9 hours per night.

What kind of magnesium are you taking?

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 02:58 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,593,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Holy cow, I struggled with sleep issues for years, I thought it was due to anxiety.

I was taking massive doses of melatonin but didn't want to become dependent on anything. Thanks to the pandemic I could sleep whenever I wanted so I finally caught up.

I started taking magnesium for my joint health and I have been sleeping much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know it would help with sleep issues. I sleep about 9 hours per night.
There are a number of different types of Magnesium - Magnesium Citrate, Magnesium Oxide, Magnesium Glycinate, etc.

Which one has helped your sleep?

I've been taking Magnesium Citrate for leg cramps in bed at night and it has helped.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:55 AM

20 posts, read 13,669 times
You can try meditation first. You'll not feel the need of medications after that.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:06 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,908,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
There are a number of different types of Magnesium - Magnesium Citrate, Magnesium Oxide, Magnesium Glycinate, etc.

Which one has helped your sleep?

I've been taking Magnesium Citrate for leg cramps in bed at night and it has helped.
I have no idea, I bought it at walmart.

Old 07-02-2021, 02:18 AM

164 posts, read 127,677 times
Hi,

Here are some tips to get better sleep without medicine:

1. Exercise during the day
2. Control your exposure to light
3. Don't drink alcohol at the night
4. Use the right mattress and pillows
5. Improve your bedroom environment
6. Sleep and wakeup at constant time
7. Take some deep breaths

Thanks

Old 07-09-2021, 09:26 AM

6,886 posts, read 7,908,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
What kind of magnesium are you taking?

Thx
Magnesium oxide from walmart (spring valley brand, I think)

Old 08-14-2021, 05:50 PM

18,483 posts, read 31,684,723 times
I always take 2 benedryls, (sometimes 3) but they have to be the goldish gel pills,

plus two .5 xanax,

and if it is a really bad night, I throw in an ambien.

I pop them, then read my book and then start to feel drowsy and then finally go to sleep. Bedtime is 12:30 -1, have to be up at 545, this works for me.

hopefully, one morning, I won't wake up....

Old 08-14-2021, 07:19 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,545,072 times
Atarax (hydroxyzine). It is a prescription antihistamine. My doctor prescribed it as a bit of a hammer to knock out several conditions at once: allergies, insomnia, changes in shifts at work, and bruxism (grinding teeth at night), which happens when I have trouble managing stress. It is pretty strong and should never be mixed with alcohol and certain other drugs. Older people (65+) need to be careful with it because there is a risk of falling if they wake up to use the bathroom, etc. because once you're asleep, it's a deep sleep. I don't take it every day. But when I do, it works very well.

Also, for me at least, I have to take it about an hour before I want to sleep. It has more of a gentle onset and a slower, relaxing kind of effect, vs something that you take and then 15 minutes later you can barely add 2 + 2 for being so loopy.

Old 08-27-2021, 09:52 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,541,893 times
Benadryl. Meditation’s nice but Benadryl puts me in the glide path to sleep, no matter what’s on my mind.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:00 PM

3,286 posts, read 1,766,089 times
After the accident which put me in a wheelchair I had some serious sleep issues and Melatonin was my friend. It's just a hormone produced in your body & doesn't cause sleepwalking or bad dreams (god knows the PTSD sure did.) Melatonin helped me fall asleep and stay asleep through the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health