Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 06:22 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
If I were single, I would just rent a nice apartment (depending on my budgets) and invest money wisely in stocks and mutual funds to let it grow. That way, I would not have to do any mowing the lawn, shovelling snow, maintaining the house, etc... Problems solved.
That doesn't work if corporations have taken over most of the apartment rentals in your city, and raise the rent by $100/month every year, until you're paying double the rent you were when you got in. A lot of people can't afford that, but it's going on in cities around the country, not just in high COL areas like Seattle, NYC and the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 06:28 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,244,048 times
Welcome to adulting.

Pay someone to help you. No one is going to help you for free.

Old 05-23-2021, 07:37 PM

3,072 posts, read 2,414,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
If I were single, I would just rent a nice apartment (depending on my budgets) and invest money wisely in stocks and mutual funds to let it grow. That way, I would not have to do any mowing the lawn, shovelling snow, maintaining the house, etc... Problems solved.
When I was still riding the bus to work in Denver, I heard other passengers say that their landlord was renovating their apartment building, they wouldn't be able to afford the rent after it was finished, and they didn't know where they were going to live. I'm writing this from my nice, paid-off house. I may be sweaty from mowing the lawn, but I don't owe anybody anything.

Old 05-23-2021, 07:50 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,570,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
When I was still riding the bus to work in Denver, I heard other passengers say that their landlord was renovating their apartment building, they wouldn't be able to afford the rent after it was finished, and they didn't know where they were going to live. I'm writing this from my nice, paid-off house. I may be sweaty from mowing the lawn, but I don't owe anybody anything.
My house isn't paid off, but even with adding in the cost of upkeep, I couldn't rent a place for what I'm paying in PITI. It's nice to have a (mostly) fixed cost when it comes to housing...and very glad that I bought this house when I did, too, given how prices keep rising in my neighborhood.

As I often tell myself when I get frustrated at where I'm at in terms of where I'd like the house to be, "Twenty, you wouldn't be in this house if the former homeowner had taken proper care of it" and "thank goodness he wasn't more ambitious with his lackluster DIY skills" as that man left a fair amount of deferred maintenance and should never have been permitted to handle either a caulk gun or a paintbrush! On the flip side, he *did* tear up the carpet to expose the hardwood flooring (that needs to be refinished) and left a few nice plants in the front yard for which I mentally thank him often.

O.P.--it's always going to be something with a house, but if my widowed mother can learn to the things that she's learned to do since my dad died (she emailed me today to tell me about repainting the front porch and doing several other outdoor tasks that my father once did), you can do the same. By the way...it took my parents about twenty years to get the house to state that it's now in with mom waiting until the end of those two decades to get the kitchen that she'd been planning the entire time. Thanks to my late father's green thumb and hard work and the continued efforts of my mom, the yard looks like a park. In other words, playing the long game might be the wisest way to go even if it doesn't take you twenty years to get the house fully up to speed.

Fun fact: the only person who I can paint with and not kill or get dictatorial is my mom, lol. I mostly prefer to paint solo. A "painting party" with everyone doing things a bit differently would drive me batty. Mileage varies, of course, so that idea might work well for you.

Once again, you've definitely got this, lady--even if you have moments of feeling frustrated and overwhelmed. I'm glad that you were able to glean some support and advice from those of us who have been (or are still there) where you're at with your house.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 05-23-2021 at 08:20 PM..

Old 05-23-2021, 08:47 PM

22,308 posts, read 19,277,553 times
if people want to see your new home, then say yes you'd love to see them and while they are there, they can help you with the _______________ pick a chore (weed whacking, install A/C unit, mow the lawn), and after that chore is done (working on it with their help) , you can enjoy snacks together.

Old 05-23-2021, 09:21 PM

6,594 posts, read 4,998,312 times
Have also been a single homeowner. Lawnmower gas is no problem. I bought a little can and fill it up at the gas station. I got a 2.5 gallon as the gas would go bad in the bigger one before I used it.

Weedwacker - I asked for a battery powered one for Christmas. It's not as strong as a gas one but I can actually start it. About 5 years ago I hired someone to do a deep trim on my sidewalk and I may need to do that again. Under $100 and my sidewalk no longer stuck out when I looked at it from down the street

^^^^ this was about the time I had an epiphany that it would be cheaper for me to hire someone to do certain things. I could sit at my desk and still work, and they'd get something I needed done in a few hours.

Case in point: I hired a guy to trim a few trees and patch my sidewalk. I can't remember what I paid him, no more than $300. But he was here for over 4 hours and cleaned up all the tree debris and did the sidewalk patching I had stressed over for years.

Last year I got a guy from one of my jobs to trim neighbors trees that overhang. He only wanted $20!!! I gave him $50. I helped him clean up and load the limbs into his truck.

I tried to hire a friends workers during a slow time to paint my garage but that hasn't panned out yet. I'm picking at it as I can. They'd probably have it scrapped and painted in 2 days.

I've asked a neighbor to help me put an AC in - it was a 15K and insanely heavy.

I've bought lawn supplies at tag sales and swap meets. Sign up for your local FB Buy Nothing group or tag sale page.

For the projects you are capable of doing, just do them in small steps. Nothing says you have to do an entire project in one sitting.

See if your local high school offers adult ed classes in home repair.

One of the things I figured out after I became single was that I work really well in small chunks. So I made a list of each room and other specific chores like trash. I assigned each task to a day, and no longer do I spend what I feel is a large amount of time on one day cleaning. And I feel I do a better job

Good luck!

Old 05-23-2021, 09:33 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if people want to see your new home, then say yes you'd love to see them and while they are there, they can help you with the _______________ pick a chore (weed whacking, install A/C unit, mow the lawn), and after that chore is done (working on it with their help) , you can enjoy snacks together.
Here you go, OP--the perfect solution! Either they'll suddenly come up with a reason why they don't have time to visit just yet, or they'll pitch in and help you with your to-do list.

Old 05-24-2021, 12:32 AM

23,890 posts, read 33,625,694 times
For the fridge, go to google, put in the brand, model number and what issue you're having. It will tell you the fix. You can order the part cheap online then go to you tube to find a video on how to replace the part.

I understand you want your friends to see a set up, done home but the reality is, that ain't happening and only happens for retired people with no job.

As was mentioned, make use of those friends wanting to come over. They'll understand that you're not unpacked, need to paint, etc. They'll usually gladly give you a hand, when they get their house, you repay the favor.

Gardening is best done early morning, then it gets too hot. You can go back out early evening when the sun goes down.

As was mentioned, see what your dad needs help with so he has time to help you faster.

The painting should be the last of your worries as it's not the most important thing. Paint your bedroom and maybe the living room until you settle in. You haven't been there that long.

Old 05-24-2021, 06:53 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,399,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi9 View Post

Anyone else feel this way? What should I do about it?
Yes, I still feel this way and I have lived in my home for 38 years! What should you do about it? Do what you can when you can---don't worry about it. As long as your pipes are good, roof is good, windows are secure, electricity is safe, you are in good shape.

I am actually updating my home now. Yes, it is overwhelming, so much updating.

One day at a time, one project at a time.

Old 05-24-2021, 07:02 AM

4,242 posts, read 949,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Once again, you've definitely got this, lady--even if you have moments of feeling frustrated and overwhelmed. I'm glad that you were able to glean some support and advice from those of us who have been (or are still there) where you're at with your house.
Formerly Known As Twenty, your posts are so supportive and packed with really useful info and tips. I'm sure that the OP appreciates them a lot.

Just wanted to say thanks for your positive spirit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health