Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 11:48 AM

26,433 posts, read 46,657,478 times

Advertisements

I strongly dislike the intense sun angle found in the southern 2/3 of the US, along with any heat and humidity. So yes, I prefer four seasons by default. People that complain about lack of sun tend to not take any Vitamin D supplements and stay indoors too often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 12:00 PM

50 posts, read 64,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
If this is your theory, rather than asking a few random individuals on a forum (not a very big sample size!), why not look at a world map and consider which countries' citizens are stereotypically reserved, grumpy or dour, and which are generally thought to be open, warm and cheerful. Then correlate that to the region's weather.

I think the results will not surprise anyone.
Do any simple search and you’ll see that countless studies clearly show the happiest people are living in the northern European countries (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, etc). Places definitely without weather and sun like Florida or southern California or southern Spain

Old 09-09-2021, 12:10 PM

14,358 posts, read 11,752,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carminesnow View Post
Do any simple search and you’ll see that countless studies clearly show the happiest people are living in the northern European countries (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, etc). Places definitely without weather and sun like Florida or southern California or southern Spain
OK, then there is your answer.

If you really believe that the "warmest, most open and cheerful" people are in northern Europe.

Personally, the place I have been where people best meet that definition is Central America. If northern Europeans are the happiest in the world, they tend to hide it quite well.

But we probably have different definitions of "happy."

Old 09-10-2021, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
OK, then there is your answer.

If you really believe that the "warmest, most open and cheerful" people are in northern Europe.

Personally, the place I have been where people best meet that definition is Central America. If northern Europeans are the happiest in the world, they tend to hide it quite well.

But we probably have different definitions of "happy."
Just simply going by several studies I've found. Maybe they're all wrong

Old 09-11-2021, 04:32 PM

23,369 posts, read 18,968,084 times
Quote:
Or maybe the assumptions they made aren't translatable to all situations. Every researcher ends up making some assumptions in order to design/control/direct their project. It can be easy to skew the results in favor of your hypothesis especially if you're only doing it to inform some media piece (very very "soft", less-than-rigorous intent). Gotta take a close look at the motivation of those who are doing the research.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-11-2021 at 04:42 PM..

Old 09-12-2021, 03:34 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,672,416 times
Quote:
I've seen many similar studies from different sources, so tend to think they are truthful. But the reason I see cited has mostly to due with life satisfaction/lack of worry, more than weather.

I'm really thankful to live in a benign temp at this age. But I admit it CAN be boring. We don't even get rain, just invisible drizzle at night. So it is the same all year, just more cloud cover half the year. 75 to 85 all year.

But it is beneficial to DH who suffers Reynaud syndrome so needs a warm clime. Makes dressing/clothes easier to deal with too---same outfit all the time, lol.

I do miss the excitement of weather changes, but life is a trade-off, after all. I also grew in SoCal so never got used to driving in inclement weather and I sure don't want to deal with it in retirement.

Old 09-13-2021, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Or maybe the assumptions they made aren't translatable to all situations. Every researcher ends up making some assumptions in order to design/control/direct their project. It can be easy to skew the results in favor of your hypothesis especially if you're only doing it to inform some media piece (very very "soft", less-than-rigorous intent). Gotta take a close look at the motivation of those who are doing the research.
what would be their motivation??

Old 09-13-2021, 08:36 AM

3,086 posts, read 1,555,299 times
I can't stand hot weather. Ideal temps are in the 50s. But, I'll take snow anyday over August heat! Thats why I live in N.E.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:10 PM

23,369 posts, read 18,968,084 times
Quote:
what would be their motivation??
To promote the place as a good site for new business and to attract the associated revenue from relocated workers.

Old 09-14-2021, 01:50 AM

164 posts, read 127,656 times
Hi,

I would prefer to live in a place with 4 seasons because it is better to enjoy all seasons rather than one season at all times.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health