Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2021, 05:16 PM

21 posts, read 12,849 times

Advertisements

Neither am I a party person. I enjoy my solitude and read books, enjoy making food for myself and focus on my own happiness.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2021, 09:58 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
as I age, yes I can enjoy the simpler but not mundane things in life.

Old 12-26-2021, 10:18 PM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I certainly do. I enjoy my friends, playing games, walking my dogs, reading, sitting outside, etc.

Old 12-27-2021, 01:45 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Every day should be Thanksgiving Day. The Buddhists talk about "mindfulness"-- being aware of what you have.
https://www.urbandharma.org/udharma3...lder/efp8.html

While western culture often places emphasis on materialism (Gross Natiuonal Product), some easterners have valued Gross National Happiness as the preferred metric. https://www.livehappy.com/resources/...nal-happiness/

Old 12-27-2021, 07:40 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Some people always need big events, always have to go somewhere (besides work/school/church), or a lot of people around to feel alive & happy, otherwise if they don't, life is too mundane for them. Perhaps when COVID started, that made you really notice that you can hang in there (or learn to) OR life's gotten worse for you.

Can you enjoy the simple things in life? What simple things make you happy?

I can & always have enjoyed simple things. I love:

- spending time w/ my Mom, especially the older she gets
- any time w/ my fiance' no mattr what we're doing together (cooking, eating, walking around, etc.)
- rainy days
- good TV/movie, especially if while eating good food
- going biking
- having a nice stroll somewhere lovely
- relaxing at home all day
- enjoying a nice smoothie
- good food
- spending time w/ my dog (back when I had one at the time): Playing, walking, watching him snore when he slept, etc.
- if I'm in the mood, making a nice dish/meal
- having a nice walk

(And in case you're wondering, no, I don't live in the type of location w/ a low population, has nothing much to do, has only 1 store or 1 street light in town where everyone knows everyone, etc. I've always lived in Southern California.)
Absolutely. IMO it's ongoing and forever appreciation of the little things around us, all you mention and more, that make life worth living.

Old 12-27-2021, 04:55 PM

398 posts, read 206,154 times
I like walking barefoot. It really works that mindfulness thing.

I pasted a link and some text to a webpage I just found search barefoot + mindfulness,

https://www.elephantjournal.com/2021...king-barefoot/

Many of us, including myself, struggle with overthinking every single aspect of our lives, which often causes headaches, anxiety, and insomnia—or other symptoms showing us that we are caught up in our heads.

Walking meditation is one of the easiest and accessible ways to combat anxiety. Especially when we struggle with traditional meditation, barefoot walking can be our gateway drug toward more mindfulness.

Watching every step that we take might feel weird in the beginning, but it’s worth trying. Once we establish a mindful way of walking, we immediately feel the positive effects of slowing down.

The sensation of stepping on a tiny, little rock might not always be convenient, but it literally shifts our awareness from our mind to our feet. While walking barefoot, we open ourselves to connecting to nature on a deeper level—and yes, sometimes it hurts a little.

Old 02-01-2022, 01:06 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Some people always need big events, always have to go somewhere (besides work/school/church), or a lot of people around to feel alive & happy, otherwise if they don't, life is too mundane for them. Perhaps when COVID started, that made you really notice that you can hang in there (or learn to) OR life's gotten worse for you.

IMO it’s necessary for mentally healthy ppl to have companionship, friends, family or a romantic partner. For some ppl who aren’t married or in a healthy relationship tho, they feel super alone since covid. It’s healthy for those ppl to acknowledge those feelings AND find ways to connect to other ppl or do things differently.

Quote:
Can you enjoy the simple things in life? What simple things make you happy?

Love, kindness & the ppl in my life….my husband, friends & family. It’s because of them I enjoy the little things AND the big things.

Old 02-01-2022, 02:27 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Having been raised by parents born in the 1920's I think their values extended to me. I've always enjoyed

1) gardening and being in nature
2) playing with my dogs
3) listening to music
4) hiking with my dogs
5) reading
6) cleaning/organizing my living space
7) watching quality tv (documentaries about nature, animals, world geography and geology, other cultures, etc.)
8) talking to a good friend
9) striking up conversations with interesting strangers (beach, park, dog park, grocery store, etc.)
10) sightseeing and travel by car
11) birdwatching
12) visiting botanic gardens

Old 02-07-2022, 10:56 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Fabulous, guys! Loved reading the comments.

Old 02-10-2022, 12:40 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I am a simple person, I like simple things.
I don't have to be entertained by anyone, I can entertain myself.
I don't have to be constantly be doing things, I like to actually do nothing.
I like doing nothing.
Putzing around the apartment, little things that are considered putzing
I don't have to have a goal for the day, I can just....whatever
I can ride a bike for hours upon hours and go exploring, simple things like that..

and this is all going to happen once I retire, and there is a light at the end of this tunnel.

I like to have quiet slow mornings before I start my day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health