Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2023, 07:51 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times

Advertisements

From my middle school years on, I had to deal with my father's schizophrenia. It got worse and worse as he got beyond age 50, so much that my mother could not tolerate it any more and they divorced. He refused any treatment or medications, and generally avoided going to a doctor, including medical doctors. Luckily as a federal government employee, he had worked enough years so when they forced him to retire and leave the job, he got enough of a pension to live on. Otherwise he likely would have ended up homeless like all of the ones you see on the streets of San Francisco (where we lived). He lived to age 75, I am surprised he lived that long due to not caring very well for his general health.

It was really tough in my school years to deal with all of that. I just wanted to live in a "semi-normal" household like all of my friends at school. It was a burden for decades after my school years too. Not easy to describe your family situation to someone you are interested in a relationship with, to disclose the mental illness in your own family. Schizophrenia is genetically hereditary, and I was afraid it might affect me at a later age. Or, if I got married and had children, the children would be at risk. It hasn't affected me yet at age 68, but I never married or had children so perhaps that's how I eventually dealt with it. I don't think about this much topic much anymore, and time has erased a lot of the bad memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 06:25 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,148,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
From my middle school years on, I had to deal with my father's schizophrenia. It got worse and worse as he got beyond age 50, so much that my mother could not tolerate it any more and they divorced. He refused any treatment or medications, and generally avoided going to a doctor, including medical doctors. Luckily as a federal government employee, he had worked enough years so when they forced him to retire and leave the job, he got enough of a pension to live on. Otherwise he likely would have ended up homeless like all of the ones you see on the streets of San Francisco (where we lived). He lived to age 75, I am surprised he lived that long due to not caring very well for his general health.

It was really tough in my school years to deal with all of that. I just wanted to live in a "semi-normal" household like all of my friends at school. It was a burden for decades after my school years too. Not easy to describe your family situation to someone you are interested in a relationship with, to disclose the mental illness in your own family. Schizophrenia is genetically hereditary, and I was afraid it might affect me at a later age. Or, if I got married and had children, the children would be at risk. It hasn't affected me yet at age 68, but I never married or had children so perhaps that's how I eventually dealt with it. I don't think about this much topic much anymore, and time has erased a lot of the bad memories.
Thank you for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health