Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 08:49 AM

14 posts, read 12,648 times

Advertisements

My father abandoned me at the age of 19 while I was in a maritime college and I went to the reletives for help but they seemed disturbed by my presence(they told me to get a job and never to disturb them again). I lived with my mother who was unemployed for a couple of months and I didn't know what I should do. I started having a lot of depression and my mother told me that we should stay calm and everything will be fixed but that didn't happened. I stayed 3/4 of a year hungry,sick,suicidal and all I did was watch how my life got ruined by my parents. What should I do? Should I give up college?
After a while I tried joining an accounting college but some of the courses were pretty rough and I couldn't understand something about stock market,management of quality,econometrics so I had to quit this college.
If my own parents don't want to support me does that mean I have to get a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2023, 09:02 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,120,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pviorel View Post
Yes.

You are an adult now. You need to support yourself.

Old 05-19-2023, 09:06 AM

927 posts, read 758,493 times
How old are you? If you're young enough you can join American Cor or whatever it is and they give you housing, its fun, like a dorm. Most peoples families are bad to them, in my experience. Realize they are depressed and suppressed and they don't know it and rather like it that way. I would relocate.

Old 05-19-2023, 02:26 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Yes.

You are an adult now. You need to support yourself.
Read this again OP! You are an adult and must face hard decisions just like any other adult. It is not your parents' job to take care of you forever. At some point you may need to take care of them!

Consider that learning how to navigate the world and support yourself will do more for your self esteem than sitting around expecting someone else to run your life for you. So, you were forced to quit college. You are not the first and won't be the last. You are not a "ruined" college student, you've just suffered a setback. You can overcome it if you truly want to. There's no reason you can't go back and continue a college education some day in future. In fact, by becoming independent, working and supporting yourself you have a good chance to find out what aspects of living really matter the most to you. This might include a career that requires a college degree or it might not. There's no crime in not earning a college degree.

Having awful parents is unfortunate...many people do, but at some point you have to stop blaming all your troubles on them. Many people overcome their parents and go on to lead fulfilling successful lives. OTOH, there are people who had great parents but never succeeded at anything for themselves. Parents can only do so much to "launch" their kids.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-19-2023 at 02:43 PM..

Old 05-20-2023, 07:20 AM

423 posts, read 266,651 times
This sounds like you are upset that your father cut you off financially, and your mom can’t afford to support you. Once you are an adult, they are under no obligation to do so. I know it can feel difficult, but you will need to get a job, probably get a roommate, etc.

Old 05-20-2023, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A New Day View Post
This sounds like you are upset that your father cut you off financially, and your mom can’t afford to support you. Once you are an adult, they are under no obligation to do so. I know it can feel difficult, but you will need to get a job, probably get a roommate, etc.

If I can't live with my parents then where would I live? In a homeless shelter or a psychiatric center for the mentally ill?
I was hospitalized by my own mother in a psychiatric hospital because I wanted to kill myself and that is the reason why I'm not a very normal guy!

Old 05-20-2023, 01:55 PM

It wasn't clear whether your mother would allow you to continue living with her if you weren't enrolled in college or not. If you get a job and contribute to the household expenses would she let you stay on? Have you asked? I would.

As for getting on with life, you have more options than you think but YOU have to make an effort to discover what they are. Are you under a physician's care for mental health issues now? If so, its possible they could help direct you toward employment that would suit you and/or a place to live: something between an institutional setting and a homeless shelter. So, the accounting attempt wasn't successful. The world hasn't ended because that didn't turn out to be a great fit for you. Besides, not all gainful satisfying employment requires a college degree!

Old 05-20-2023, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
It wasn't clear whether your mother would allow you to continue living with her if you weren't enrolled in college or not. If you get a job and contribute to the household expenses would she let you stay on? Have you asked? I would.

As for getting on with life, you have more options than you think but YOU have to make an effort to discover what they are. Are you under a physician's care for mental health issues now? If so, its possible they could help direct you toward employment that would suit you and/or a place to live: something between an institutional setting and a homeless shelter. So, the accounting attempt wasn't successful. The world hasn't ended because that didn't turn out to be a great fit for you. Besides, not all gainful satisfying employment requires a college degree!

I'm under a psychiatric treatment from my shrink and based on my hospitalization I received a handicap paper that suggest that I need someone to take care of me because I can't take care of myself.
I have a psychiatric attendant who takes care of me which is my own mother.
I have money from this paper but they aren't enught to pay my debts.

Old 05-20-2023, 02:38 PM

20,100 posts, read 9,008,929 times
Quote:
My father abandoned me at the age of 19 while I was in a maritime college and I went to the reletives for help but they seemed disturbed by my presence(they told me to get a job and never to disturb them again). I lived with my mother who was unemployed for a couple of months and I didn't know what I should do. I started having a lot of depression and my mother told me that we should stay calm and everything will be fixed but that didn't happened. I stayed 3/4 of a year hungry,sick,suicidal and all I did was watch how my life got ruined by my parents. What should I do? Should I give up college?
After a while I tried joining an accounting college but some of the courses were pretty rough and I couldn't understand something about stock market,management of quality,econometrics so I had to quit this college.
no, plenty of people live on the street, don't feel pressured to get a job.

Old 05-20-2023, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I'm under a psychiatric treatment from my shrink and based on my hospitalization I received a handicap paper that suggest that I need someone to take care of me because I can't take care of myself.
I have a psychiatric attendant who takes care of me which is my own mother.
I have money from this paper but they aren't enught to pay my debts.
Then your situation is way beyond C-D members' pay grade! You need to discuss all this with your mental health care provider. This is what they're for! Don't expect total strangers on the web to tell you what you should do. They only have an incomplete picture what all your issues actually are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health