Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2023, 12:06 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,997,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Back in the 90s, this was happening to me regularly. Usually, I would sleep and then feel as if I was being held down. I could not get up. I had to struggle with all of my might to get up but I was being held down. Eventually, I would get up and fearing what I would see, I would close my eyes and feel the wall until I got to the light switch. Every time I tried to l turn the light in, I would open my eyes and it would still be dark. The light never worked when this happened. I would just crawl back into bed and fall back to sleep. The morning after, I would try the light and it always turned on. I always questioned why the light never turned on at night while this terrifying experience was occurring.

I wasn’t dreaming because I even wrote down what happened right after it happened. A lot of times, I would curse out whatever it was. I would yell, “when I get up I am going to kick the sh*t out of you.” Didn’t matter. I would force myself up and not be able to turn the light on.
Another related thing to sleep paralysis is sleep walking. It is sort of the opposite of sleep paralysis. I did this once in life. Got trapped in a room. Tried the door, tried to open it but couldn't get it open so I went back to bed(thinking it was the wrong door) turned in a different direction tried again. On the third time thinking I was near the bed I sat down, and bang fell to the floor(I was far from the bed), woke up saw that I was facing the closet door(actually next to it) and that was why I couldn't get out. People can do complex things while sleep walking and I would have sworn that I was near my bed the third time(I felt it before I sat).

I have also had dreams where I thought I was awake getting ready to go for the morning and then some element goes wrong(like turn on the water to wash hand and can't feel it.) and I realized I was dreaming. Did the same thing about 3 times and when I finally woke up it was confusing and scary because I wasn't quite sure if I was woke. This is called a false awaking.

Sleep paralysis and sleep walking can be caused by lack of sleep or stress.

Last edited by chirack; 05-21-2023 at 12:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2023, 10:23 PM

3,182 posts, read 1,277,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Another related thing to sleep paralysis is sleep walking. It is sort of the opposite of sleep paralysis. I did this once in life. Got trapped in a room. Tried the door, tried to open it but couldn't get it open so I went back to bed(thinking it was the wrong door) turned in a different direction tried again. On the third time thinking I was near the bed I sat down, and bang fell to the floor(I was far from the bed), woke up saw that I was facing the closet door(actually next to it) and that was why I couldn't get out. People can do complex things while sleep walking and I would have sworn that I was near my bed the third time(I felt it before I sat).

I have also had dreams where I thought I was awake getting ready to go for the morning and then some element goes wrong(like turn on the water to wash hand and can't feel it.) and I realized I was dreaming. Did the same thing about 3 times and when I finally woke up it was confusing and scary because I wasn't quite sure if I was woke. This is called a false awaking.

I don't have sleep walking but I had sleep paralysis like 5 times in a single night, all of which had occured before falling to sleep. Later I went off bed, and made my sleep go away. Then I turned back to lying on bed. That way, it didn't repeat any longer.

Yesterday I had sleep paralysis twice

Old 05-24-2023, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
I don't have sleep walking but I had sleep paralysis like 5 times in a single night, all of which had occured before falling to sleep. Later I went off bed, and made my sleep go away. Then I turned back to lying on bed. That way, it didn't repeat any longer.

Yesterday I had sleep paralysis twice
Ouch that is nasty. I have had it more twice a day about a few times in my life and that is scarry. I occasionally had bought of it but only when not getting proper rest or a little stressed.

Moving probably helped. I have found getting enough rest helps a lot but don't go to bed if you are not a little tired first. If I have it when I go into sleep, I tend to get up or sit up for a bit after the first incident. The only time I ever had it back to back like that was when I made the mistake of staying in bed after the first incident(unlike you, I was waking up when this occurred). After the first one I should have gotten up but didn't and I dozed off. Then came the second and, I woke up for a very short period of time(Almost too short for me to do anything about it). Then into the third, when I woke up and ran out of bed.

I can get them both heading into sleep or heading out of it. Heading into sleep is the most scary because I have occasionally dozed off by accidentally and had it occur. I would talk to a doctor if you are getting it that often, but if I were you I would avoid caffeine or anything that can keep you up for a few hours before going to sleep. Another problem I can have if I don't get enough sleep is restless leg or an uncontrolled jump/shake when I just fall to sleep that wakes me up and makes it hard to get to sleep. Sleep paralysis tends to happen either when I don't get enough sleep or get too much of it or my sleep is very irregular.

Last edited by chirack; 05-24-2023 at 01:45 PM..

Old 05-24-2023, 03:57 PM

200 posts, read 109,661 times
Quote:
I started shaking as if I'd be possessed at first. I decided to be brave and didn't try to end it at first. Shaking kept getting stronger.

Then what comes next?

Something bit me from my back (I was lying on my side). I felt the bite just real. Then this is when I started panicing and decided to end it. I opened my eyes right after it.

When I opened my eyes, I saw the tale of a small dinosaur moving, whose tale was coming from my back.

I opened my eyes during sleep paralysis. I was unable to move with my eyes open.

Opening the eyes during sleep paralysis causes visual hallucination.
You opened your eyes mentally, but not actually. Your body was asleep and had its eyes closed in reality. In this state you cannot move physically, but you can move mentally. I used to think that I was actually opening my eyes because I could clearly see my room, but it turned out that I only thought I had opened them, but in fact my eyes remained closed.

I think it's no hallucination, but a kind of lucid dream. The body is asleep, but the consciousness is awake.

Old 05-24-2023, 04:14 PM

200 posts, read 109,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post

I once fell asleep in my bed and woke up in bed of my sister. And I didn't remember how I got there.

My grandmother's house is very dark at night, and I ask her to keep the lights on until I fall asleep. But once I fell asleep, the lights were turned off, and I started screaming at the whole house. Everyone woke up, the lights were turned on, and I mumbled something, rolled over on the other side, and continued sleeping. In the morning I didn't remember anything.

Several times I asked my dad to wake me up very early, about 4 or 5 in the morning, but I woke up at 9 or 10, as usual. I asked Dad why he didn't wake me up, and he claimed that he woke me up, but I said that I had changed my mind and that I would go back to sleep. But it was definitely not me. It's like my body has a separate consciousness from mine.

Once I was falling off my bike headfirst into the asphalt. I was so lost. I was flying headfirst into the asphalt and thinking, only not my head or my neck! All of a sudden I stopped 1 inch from the asphalt. I didn't understand what had happened. It turned out I had fallen on my hands. It was like my body had caught itself, but my consciousness was not directing my movements at all.

Old 05-25-2023, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitori View Post
You opened your eyes mentally, but not actually. Your body was asleep and had its eyes closed in reality. In this state you cannot move physically, but you can move mentally. I used to think that I was actually opening my eyes because I could clearly see my room, but it turned out that I only thought I had opened them, but in fact my eyes remained closed.

I think it's no hallucination, but a kind of lucid dream. The body is asleep, but the consciousness is awake.
People can open their eyes during sleep paralysis. It is hallucination. Google it.

The body is paralysed. I can open my eyes and visually hallucinate but I cannot move since I am paralysed.

Please learn about sleep paralysis hallucination on internet before you claim the opposite.

Sleep Paralysis Hallucination is not a dream. It is hallucination as it is called so.

Last edited by The Grandeur; 05-25-2023 at 04:47 AM..

Old 05-25-2023, 11:32 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,400,840 times
I've had it a few times, and usually I am struggling to run from some threat, but can't move.

Scared fhe daylights out of me before I learned what it actually is.

Old 05-25-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
I've had it a few times, and usually I am struggling to run from some threat, but can't move.

Scared fhe daylights out of me before I learned what it actually is.
I have it in every few days.

Old 05-25-2023, 11:51 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Quote:
I have it in every few days.
That must feel awful.

Old 05-25-2023, 03:24 PM

Quote:
People can open their eyes during sleep paralysis. It is hallucination. Google it.

The body is paralyzed. I can open my eyes and visually hallucinate but I cannot move since I am paralyzed.

Please learn about sleep paralysis hallucination on internet before you claim the opposite.

Sleep Paralysis Hallucination is not a dream. It is hallucination as it is called so.
It is a bit more complicated than that. Some people have been known to fall asleep eyes open(I knew someone like this). Some people can open their eyes during sleep paralysis. I on the other hand can't open my eyes. Mine remain closed until I snap out of it. Everything I am seeing is generated by my brain not my eyes.

My hearing, sense of touch and sense of movement however is sometimes working. I have heard people say stuff or react to me being in that state but been unable to do any thing about it. a few times, I have scared people by not reacting and my brain generated an image of those people performing those actions. However those images are imperfect such as being blurry when there is no reason for them to be(I had my glasses on) or in one case the person on the opposite side of me when I woke up as where they were in the dream.). In a few cases I have scared doctor and or nurse taking care of me.

In Sleep Paralysis you are kind of stuck in a halfway point between being awake and conscious and being asleep. So yeah is is an Hallucination in a sense. The lucid dream is one that you can control and remember, I have only had that experience once in my life, interesting and fun but who wants to think when you are supposed to be asleep? In sleep Paralysis you have little control over what you are seeing(or dreaming) best you can do is not to let your mind wonder(else your brain might generate something). The difference between dreams and Hallucination is that dreams happen when you asleep....in the case of Sleep Paralysis you are not quite woke and not totally knocked out.

Most normal dreams I can not control and it is rather like watching a movie or if I am "thinking" I am totally swept up in whatever is going on and really don't have my ability to reason. Sleep paralysis I do have my ability to reason and plan I just can't move at all. In false awakening I actually think I have gotten up and are moving around until something dispels that illusion. (I.e. Dream not matching reality or reality intrudes in(Clock going off)).

Last edited by chirack; 05-25-2023 at 03:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health