Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 09:58 PM

3,171 posts, read 1,272,041 times

Advertisements

I started shaking as if I'd be possessed at first. I decided to be brave and didn't try to end it at first. Shaking kept getting stronger.

Then what comes next?

Something bit me from my back (I was lying on my side). I felt the bite just real. Then this is when I started panicing and decided to end it. I opened my eyes right after it.

When I opened my eyes, I saw the tale of a small dinosaur moving, whose tale was coming from my back.

I opened my eyes during sleep paralysis. I was unable to move with my eyes open.

Opening the eyes during sleep paralysis causes visual hallucination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2023, 12:58 AM

61,662 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Were you drunk or high before you went to bed?

Old 05-20-2023, 03:21 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
Ive only had this happen once and it was the most terrifying thing Ive ever experienced.. although not the same as our poster. I could swear I was wife awake when it happened.. it was fists pushing me up into and almost sitting position in bed.. and it was like small electric shocks going all through my body.. I couldnt move.. but could hear the radio and a man talking on it... When the fists let me back down on the bed..I lay ridid for about ten mins before getting out of bed and running from the room... Ive never felt so scared.. and hope this never ever happens again...

Old 05-20-2023, 03:22 AM

7,247 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Your description certainly sounds like sleep paralysis. It's usually not serious, being that episodes are often of such short duration and you're already in a safe place (bed)...The main medical problem, being that it's a clinical diagnosis-- no specific tests to "prove" it-- is to make sure it's not someting else.

Here's a good article https://www.healthline.com/health/sl...leep-paralysis on all the other things it could be-- some dangerous, some not, some treatable, some not. The two sections on potassium problems came to my mind as I read your post.

Old 05-20-2023, 04:00 AM

3,171 posts, read 1,272,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Were you drunk or high before you went to bed?
Sober.

Old 05-20-2023, 06:51 AM

5,575 posts, read 6,501,669 times
Wow. This is new to me, I was not aware of something like this.

My experience has been, on occasion, hearing my name said loudly, waking me from sleep. Or, typical bad dream that wakes me up. Both seem so real it is hard to believe they were not.

I have only experienced one anxiety attack in real life, years ago, and didn't know what it was at the time. I now know, and I can still remember it.

The brain is our body's computer. It is a complex organ. I hope nothing like this happens again to either poster above who experienced a scary event like they described.

Old 05-20-2023, 03:54 PM

61,662 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Never experienced anything like that, but it sounds terrifying.

Old 05-20-2023, 08:20 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
It IS terrifying.

Don't mock the messenger, pls.
I have read on other Forums under Astral Projection ..they have discussed that during sleep the person
has had an OBE, Out of Body Exp....and when the 'spirit' ? is coming back into the body from it's little jaunts, lol,
if you wake up you are, like, half way in another 'place'...an astral space. Freaking scary!
That is the best way I can describe what people have said...and seem to agree upon.

This would get many more readers and possible inputs in the *Unexplained, Paranormal area*....I would think...
this person isn't 'mental'.

Old 05-20-2023, 08:42 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,355,019 times
Back in the 90s, this was happening to me regularly. Usually, I would sleep and then feel as if I was being held down. I could not get up. I had to struggle with all of my might to get up but I was being held down. Eventually, I would get up and fearing what I would see, I would close my eyes and feel the wall until I got to the light switch. Every time I tried to l turn the light in, I would open my eyes and it would still be dark. The light never worked when this happened. I would just crawl back into bed and fall back to sleep. The morning after, I would try the light and it always turned on. I always questioned why the light never turned on at night while this terrifying experience was occurring.

I wasn’t dreaming because I even wrote down what happened right after it happened. A lot of times, I would curse out whatever it was. I would yell, “when I get up I am going to kick the sh*t out of you.” Didn’t matter. I would force myself up and not be able to turn the light on.

Fast forward years later when I met someone who is into all of this stuff. He told me that I was having out of body experiences. He said that the reason why I couldn’t turn the switch on was because I was out of my body. I don’t know how much I believe all of that stuff but something was going on. He said I was so lucky to be able to get out of my body when so many, like himself, found it near impossible. That’s my weird story. I think it has happened since but not recently. I was terrified to go to sleep during that time though.

Old 05-20-2023, 09:30 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,995,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
I started shaking as if I'd be possessed at first. I decided to be brave and didn't try to end it at first. Shaking kept getting stronger.

Then what comes next?

Something bit me from my back (I was lying on my side). I felt the bite just real. Then this is when I started panicing and decided to end it. I opened my eyes right after it.

When I opened my eyes, I saw the tale of a small dinosaur moving, whose tale was coming from my back.

I opened my eyes during sleep paralysis. I was unable to move with my eyes open.

Opening the eyes during sleep paralysis causes visual hallucination.
Yeah this kind of stuff happens. I have it from time to time. I usually have at least 1-3 times a year when this happens. Lucky, I don't have those sorts of hallucinations.

While I have seen things that are not there, they tend to be things related to what I was doing when I fell asleep. In my case it is mostly just can't move a muscle and my brain trying to fool me into thinking nothing has happened. i.e. It is usually the place where I am is the same but with some elements wrong. One thing I do have to make sure of before falling asleep is that I am in a comfortable position. In my case my eyes are usually closed but I found that the best method for getting out of it is to try to move your eyes or a small muscle like a finger. Does not always work, but sometime it can break it and you then can move.

As a kid I once left a coat on the floor feel asleep and in my mind the coat was a bear sitting on the floor. Never did that again. The worse reoccurring ones are the one where I hear the a really, painfully, loud static sound like a Star Trek transporter. I also had one where it felt like I was being shocked repeatedly...thought I was having a seizure but nope not. A very scary one is the one where you simply can not breathe and you have to basically sit there not panicking so as not to use up all your Oxygen. And, often after I wake up I can feel this tingly prickly feeling all over my body for up to an hour latter.

Anyway I have had so many that they often are just annoying rather than terrifying. I even had them back to back(NOT fun...I ran out the bed on the third one).

In my case I am usually able to think and be rational but I just can not move. I have had them on the train at times and once had to wonder what would the conductor do if I stayed sleep cause I sure couldn't wake myself. The lucky thing about being on a train is that an unexpected movement of the train can be enough to wake you up. I don't believe in out of body but I used to have one where I would float over the bed and lose control...once I learned to enjoy it, it never happened again. Also had the one where I was falling.

I find that not getting enough sleep sometimes triggers it as well as staying too long in bed. I have experienced them all my life but they seem to be fading a bit with time. In the 80 or early 90ies I had once mentioned it to a doctor but back then main stream medicine didn't have much to say on it. I was so happy when years latter I finally read about what was going on; what I could do about it and that there was a drug should this problem get really out of hand(i.e. 1-6 times a year isn't a problem but 3 times a week and I would take meds for it.)

Anyway what is happening is that your brain normally releases hormones that cause you to be paralyzed when you sleep. It is though that this prevents you from acting out in your dreams and hurting yourself. The problem comes when either you wake up before the hormones have worn off or are not totally unconscious before the hormones kick in. And yes, if this happens enough you can actually be scared to go to bed.

Last edited by chirack; 05-20-2023 at 09:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health