Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 06:20 PM

2,169 posts, read 1,090,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The idea of that tube being 3.6 miles under water was just too creepy.
I feel the same. The Channel Tunnel (Chunnel) in Europe has had a few fires and equipment malfunctions, trapping people down in the tunnel for hours. No thank you! When I was traveling from England to France I took the ferry crossing instead. It was a beautiful ride and much more enjoyable than sitting on a train speeding through a dark tunnel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2024, 02:05 PM

3,190 posts, read 1,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justawanderer View Post
Hi, all. As the title mentions, I have a fear of driving over tall bridges.
I recommend psychotherapy and using the method: gradual exposure.

Old 02-15-2024, 03:21 PM

12,892 posts, read 9,139,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Bridges are by law constantly inspected and tested to ensure their structural integrity, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8PodEM4Y8g

Have driven over that bridge many times.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:49 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,317,801 times
Baby steps... Don't look out over the scenery. Imo, it is best to slow down to the recommended speed limit, stay in your lane and focus on following the cars ahead of you. Break it down into what you have to do for the time being and block the rest of it from your mind.

Old 02-25-2024, 12:34 PM

3,714 posts, read 4,874,396 times
Don't know if this will help or not but;

What is the difference between a standard, low bridge or a super high bridge like the one that crosses the Chesapeake bay? Then think, what is the difference between that and just a regular overpass? A drop of 150 or more ft to the water isn't going to be any worse then a drop of 25 ft to the concrete.

Also, look at how many vehicles have crossed these bridges and how long they've been around. How often do you hear of anything happening? It seems you here more of "jumpers" then wrecks.

I am 55 and have crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge many times in my life ( Its considered one of the so called most scary bridges) This year, for the first time ever I was delayed because of a major pileup in the fog. The fog was a super thick pea soup as it was enough to delay my wife's flight returning from FLL to BWI the night before.

**** happens but my point is after all these years that was the only incident that affected me to the point of having to go around the bay. Yes, there have been other accidents, some bad, but take any 5 mile stretch of a major highway and there are bound to be accidents over the years.

Perhaps, pick a tall bridge and go for a ride on a clear day later in the morning when there is no traffic. Cross it several times, over and over and get comfortable with it.

Old 02-25-2024, 01:40 PM

88,775 posts, read 85,174,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post

What is the difference between a standard, low bridge or a super high bridge like the one that crosses the Chesapeake bay? Then think, what is the difference between that and just a regular overpass? A drop of 150 or more ft to the water isn't going to be any worse then a drop of 25 ft to the concrete.

Also, look at how many vehicles have crossed these bridges and how long they've been around. How often do you hear of anything happening? It seems you here more of "jumpers" then wrecks.

I am 55 and have crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge many times in my life ( Its considered one of the so called most scary bridges) This year, for the first time ever I was delayed because of a major pileup in the fog. The fog was a super thick pea soup as it was enough to delay my wife's flight returning from FLL to BWI the night before.

**** happens but my point is after all these years that was the only incident that affected me to the point of having to go around the bay. Yes, there have been other accidents, some bad, but take any 5 mile stretch of a major highway and there are bound to be accidents over the years.

Perhaps, pick a tall bridge and go for a ride on a clear day later in the morning when there is no traffic. Cross it several times, over and over and get comfortable with it.
If you're going to do that, just make sure it's not a toll bridge.

Old 02-27-2024, 11:28 PM

5,338 posts, read 6,045,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post

No, just no. My heart is pounding just reading the bolded sentence. Do not think about it. One low dose Valium tablet should do the trick.

Old 03-02-2024, 11:33 PM

3,714 posts, read 4,874,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
No, just no. My heart is pounding just reading the bolded sentence. Do not think about it. One low dose Valium tablet should do the trick.
I don't think about it. I actually like that bridge (Yes, I'm strange). Maybe it wasn't a good way of making a point, but I was just trying to compare tall to low as many are afraid of tall bridges, or long bridges. But what is the difference? So, if one comfortably crosses a highway overpass or a small creek multiple times in a day, just think that the longer and taller bridge is no different. As many as there are, how often do you hear of one falling? Or a vehicle going off (ignore the recent news please). And if you can't, imagine how many vehicles had just recently crossed that bridge without incident!

I liken it to air travel. I was scared of flying but would not let it affect me going places. I had a job on a charter fishing boat that we took to Venezuela for the winter a couple of seasons. Sinse the boat was there all winter and my visa required me to leave the country for a few days after 3 month's I had the boss get me a ticket to Miami and I rented a car to drive to MD. Made sense at the time as I did not need to be on a plane from Miami to Ocean City.

Yep, Bambi cured my fear of flying because while driving back to Miami, I plowed into her and totaled the rent a car! I always heard there was more of a chance of getting in a crash going to and from the airport in you car.

Old 03-09-2024, 01:38 PM

1,229 posts, read 641,385 times
I have had a phobia of heights all my life. I have never driven over a bridge and don't plan to. I have gone over bridges when someone else is driving and even though I'm anxious I concentrate on looking at the scenery which helps me until we are over the bridge.

I tried counseling, group therapy, etc. Nothing helped me.

Even reading this post starts my heart beating fast!

Old 03-10-2024, 02:04 PM

1,229 posts, read 641,385 times
Just to let the OP that the reason I posted what I did what to let OP that he/she is not alone. Some people do get helped but in my case the therapy didn't work for me. Probably a deep-seated fear.

It can't hurt to expose yourself slowly to driving over bridges. Maybe the more confident you feel the more you will get over your fear. Best to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health