Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 06:39 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,806,216 times

Advertisements

I started taking Restoril twice a week and developed a sleeping pattern. Now I rarely have to take anything. I think that's the key is to go to bed the same time, eat dinner the same time and created a pattern so your body gets on a regular schedule. At least that's what the doctor told me and it worked, with the help of drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 09:29 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,200,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I suffer from insomnia . I have suffered from it since I was about 14 years old. i usually cant fall asleep before 4 am. I usually sleep til noon if I dont have to be anywhere.

I tried warm milk but that didnt work.

Counting sheep, but that didnt work

I even tried wearing a mask but I kept waking up thinking I had gone blind.

What can I do??

I feel your pain. It is something I have battled since childhood as well. Doc prescribed Lunesta for me-you know the commercial w/the butterfly-well it is supposed to work like with the quickness and here I am 3 months later waiting for it to work. But seriously, here are a couple of things that work for me when I really must have sleep: tryptophan(sp) from eating tuna will put me out like a coma;but I don't always desire tuna. So sometimes I take Benadryl and it helps me sleep. My husband is prescribed Flexeril and on occasion I will take one; only when I really Realllllly need a good nights sleep because one of those pills will keep me feeling the effects for over 24 hours.
Another thing I do is use one of those noise machines. I prefer the sound of rain witha little thunder thrown in; but my machine has several noise selections. It helps me in particular because I suffer from ringing in my ears as well as the insomnia. We do what we have to do.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:08 PM

942 posts, read 1,399,375 times
I would say this probably has something to do with your internal clock, you stated you fall asleep around 4am and sleep until noon, there is a meaning to that, and I would say your doctor needs to investigate if that is just your bodys natural sleep time, or you are doing something in your life that has thrown your internal clock off and it needs reajustment. I have always had sleep problems, but mine have been associated with medical problems, diabetes, rise and low in blood sugars, and thyroid disease, threw my sleep patterns off, I have them both controlled, and I have always exercised my entire life, I sleep ok now, not 8 or 9 hours its more like 6 hours for me, and I feel fine. If you are not exercising I do highly recommend you begin a program, just as stated before not too late, i would say have it done 3 hours before you want to go to bed,even sooner if you can, and oh yes the weather channel, perfect for getting that sleepy feeling.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:20 PM

800 posts, read 4,306,227 times
I hear ya I'm dealing with this now myself.

One thing that helps me is lavender essential oil. You have to get the real, 100 percent real deal though. You can put a couple drops on a cotton ball and inhale it. Of course, I'm not diagnosing or prescribing here. It does help, but the key is in remembering to do it every night.

I've learned too for myself that I had to let go of the notion that I need to sleep a certain number of hours all in a row. I know they say 7-8 hours is optimum, but my needs vary according to the seasons, my activity level, and stress level. I think there's a way to modulate your own circadian rhythms too, but not sure what it's called LOL--maybe I need to Google that too! LOL

Old 04-02-2007, 08:47 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,918,080 times
Default My combo

I take one Lunesta and two hours on City Data. I usually fall asleep at the keyboard and have no clue what I posted until I reread it the next day.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:21 AM

607 posts, read 3,562,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
I take one Lunesta and two hours on City Data. I usually fall asleep at the keyboard and have no clue what I posted until I reread it the next day.
It must be all good stuff with that rep.

I've found that the best thing for insomnia is melatonin. The great thing is that melatonin is actually a hormone that is produced in the brain. The problem is that substances like caffeine and sugars kill melatonin, as do exposures to pesticides, alcohol. smoking and food additives.

The brain makes melatonin from the amino acid L tryptophan, you know, that stuff in turkey. It's in a lot of other foods too like chicken and fish, eggs, beef and pork. The melatonin, if not damaged by outside "poisons" , starts working as soon as the lights are out (darkness is needed for melatonin to work). Melatonin does not counteract ANY prescription meds. (check though with your pharmacist or doc). You can buy it at the local drugstore from 1 mg all the way up to 5 or 6 mg. Start at one mg and move up accordingly. some people have reported anxiety from melatonin. If you take niacin at the same time as the melatonin, this will be alleviated.

Don't take it if you are on call with the fire dept. but you WILL be able to get up and go to the bathroom.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:05 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,677,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
***or anything else containing alcohol!!
Yes, but drink only keeps you asleep till it wears off, then you wake up. I, at least, can't get back to sleep easily after that.

Yeah, I know you're kidding. My Mom used to make fun of that stuff, saying "it even comes with a little SHOT GLASS."

Chamomile tea seems to work for me. Also, keep the coffee for the morning, two cups max.

I've heard some really funny stuff about Ambien. Side effects, and so forth. Pharmaceutical companies, IMHO, are a little too hot to get their latest potions to market, in recent years.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:53 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,812,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
It must be all good stuff with that rep.

I've found that the best thing for insomnia is melatonin. The great thing is that melatonin is actually a hormone that is produced in the brain. The problem is that substances like caffeine and sugars kill melatonin, as do exposures to pesticides, alcohol. smoking and food additives.

The brain makes melatonin from the amino acid L tryptophan, you know, that stuff in turkey. It's in a lot of other foods too like chicken and fish, eggs, beef and pork. The melatonin, if not damaged by outside "poisons" , starts working as soon as the lights are out (darkness is needed for melatonin to work). Melatonin does not counteract ANY prescription meds. (check though with your pharmacist or doc). You can buy it at the local drugstore from 1 mg all the way up to 5 or 6 mg. Start at one mg and move up accordingly. some people have reported anxiety from melatonin. If you take niacin at the same time as the melatonin, this will be alleviated.

Don't take it if you are on call with the fire dept. but you WILL be able to get up and go to the bathroom.
I got some melatonin from the health food store. I take it and it does help me fall asleep. I am able to get up a little earlier, but not much. My insomnia doesn't really interfere with my daily life since I work later in the day. But I would like to get up earlier. I'm not a morning person. But I want to get more done in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health