Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:00 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,340,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Exactly! And this is what we are aiming at...reforming the constitution and making it a right to be innocent until proven otherwise.
I misunderstood this thread. A Constitutional change to the judicial system was signed in 2007. All states have until 2016 to change to open courtrooms and a "presumption of innocence" type trial. Four states already have this in operation. It looks like juries are still lacking.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/25/us/25prosecute.html

Quote:
In what experts say is nothing short of a revolution, Mexico is gradually abandoning its centuries-old Napoleonic system of closed-door, written inquisitions — largely a legacy of Spanish colonial rule — that had long been criticized as rife with corruption, opaque decisions, abuse of defendants and red tape that bogged down cases for years.

Instead, for the first time, defendants will be presumed innocent until proved guilty, instead of the other way around, as they are now. The police will use more forensics and meticulous fact-gathering. Plea bargains, mediation and probation, never tried before in Mexico, will become standard.

And, in what many consider one of the biggest leaps, courtroom doors will be thrown open to the public for oral trials before a trio of judges where victims and the accused can confront one another and evidence will be laid out in the open.

In the four states that have adopted the changes — Chihuahua, Oaxaca, Nuevo León and Baja California — there have already been a handful of such trials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 04:55 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
I misunderstood this thread. A Constitutional change to the judicial system was signed in 2007. All states have until 2016 to change to open courtrooms and a "presumption of innocence" type trial. Four states already have this in operation. It looks like juries are still lacking.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/25/us/25prosecute.html
That is only statewide and as you know it is not making any progress...four states. Even these states have had a lack of support. I'm sure you have read on the "juicios orales" and the challenges its facing like in the state of Chihuahua.

The motive behind "Presunto Culpable" is to make a nationwide Constitutional Reform, as it carries more weight than a state reform, is my thoughts. I have contacted Roberto and Layda for some clarification. However, with the release of the movie in a day, it will be very difficult to get a response any time soon.
I will let you know as soon as I can.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:03 AM

Yesterday was the premier of the movie "Presunto Culpable" or "Presumed Guilty" at which many starts were present and walked the red carpet.

One in particular was Margarita Zavala, first lady.

Asiste Margarita Zavala a premier de 'Presunto culpable'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZHNDJfa3l8
From the Martha Debayle program.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:38 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,009 times
Default Order to Suspend Presumed Innocent

Quote:
Yesterday was the premier of the movie "Presunto Culpable" or "Presumed Guilty" at which many starts were present and walked the red carpet.

One in particular was Margarita Zavala, first lady.

Asiste Margarita Zavala a premier de 'Presunto culpable'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZHNDJfa3l8
From the Martha Debayle program.
Just reported this morning on Yahoo.. Not a great translation but on Yahoo.Mexico it's in Spanish (obviously).

Ordenan suspender "Presunto Culpable" - Yahoo! México Noticias (http://mx.news.yahoo.com/s/03032011/90/n-mexico-ordenan-suspender-presunto-culpable.html - broken link)

Old 03-03-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Just reported this morning on Yahoo.. Not a great translation but on Yahoo.Mexico it's in Spanish (obviously).

Ordenan suspender "Presunto Culpable" - Yahoo! México Noticias (http://mx.news.yahoo.com/s/03032011/90/n-mexico-ordenan-suspender-presunto-culpable.html - broken link)
It doesn't make any difference. That person will have to get an order in every Mexican state. Federal judges do not have the power over individual states like they do in the U.S.

The TV people can appeal and have the order overturned just like in the U.S.

I do like the judge's name "White Wolf" or is that the translation?

Old 03-04-2011, 03:04 AM

Thanks Sarah for posting the info.

Yes, it was ordered by a judge to stop the movie from showing it in the theaters. Good thing is that President Calderon is not on the judge's side. It is believed that it will take about four days to overturn the decision. I will keep you all posted on what is going on.

Apparently, one of the persons that appears on the documentary wants judicial protection now that his identity is public. This is they guy that accused Tono of murdering the cousin. However, he was filmed with his consent and the producers should be defended under freedom of speech. AND... In the Mexican Constitution it is permitted by law to have a public audience.

Roberto has stated that he will continue showing the movie until he receives a written order from the judge. Supporters for the movie have already started to protest. I have no doubt that the fight to make the corruption in the Mexican judicial system public will continue. Roberto and his colleagues have already started working on a second movie of "Presunto Culpable".

The other part of the puzzle is that the guy that filed for this protection does not have an education higher than 5th grade. Which means, someone put him up to this...once again.

Here is the article in Spanish.

Juez ordena bajar ?Presunto Culpable? - El Universal - México

I should also mention that the profits from movie goers were being donated to Renace. Renace is an institution that defends people like Tono, who are innocently incarcerated. Unfortunately, we have received word that the movie has been "bootlegged".

Joaquín López-Dóriga - Aquí tienen entrevista con Roberto Hernández, dir y prod de #presuntoculpable sobre prohibición de su proyección - TwitVid

TropicalFRONT: Mexican Judge Orders Suspension of the Theatrical Release of PRESUMED GUILTY

'Guilty' breaks B.O. record for Mexican doc - Entertainment News, Americas, Media - Variety

Quote:
"Presumed Guilty" (Presunto culpable) has sold more tickets than any Mexican documentary ever, pulling in 18.6 million pesos ($1.54 million) at the box office in just 10 days.
Quote:
Now "Presumed" looks set to take pole position as the highest grossing doc in Mexico from any nation, a record held by Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11," which earned $2.24 million in 2004.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
It doesn't make any difference. That person will have to get an order in every Mexican state. Federal judges do not have the power over individual states like they do in the U.S.

The TV people can appeal and have the order overturned just like in the U.S.

I do like the judge's name "White Wolf" or is that the translation?
Federal judge did order the movie be removed from ALL theaters in the country.

The judge's name is Blanca is the same as "Bianca". Its origin is Italian. Her last name is Lobo and does translate to "wolf".

We will see next week what happens with this case. I have total confidence that the law is on Roberto's side and that the movie will continue to be shown. If not... I expect major protests.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:21 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,024 times
the law is on his own side, against all mexicans.

we must be naive to suppose the witness in the case has the money to pay the lawyers who's stop this movie, all the mexican judicial system is aware of their bad reputation and this movie only increase that, so they must stop the distribution of the movie to maintain their privileges.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Federal judge did order the movie be removed from ALL theaters in the country.

The judge's name is Blanca is the same as "Bianca". Its origin is Italian. Her last name is Lobo and does translate to "wolf".

We will see next week what happens with this case. I have total confidence that the law is on Roberto's side and that the movie will continue to be shown. If not... I expect major protests.
Unlike the Common Law system in the U.S., Canada, England, etc., in Mexico a federal decision does not effect all states.

The first court applied to is a trial court and would not have a national jurisdiction. Federal trial courts in the U.S. have jurisdiction only in their district. The federal Court of Appeals only within their circuit which contains a few states, and only the Supreme Court can make a decision that effects the whole country. Mexico is similar except the states are not obliged to follow all federal laws and judicial decisions. It's a weird system compared to what we are used to.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:01 PM

972 posts, read 3,925,024 times
Quote:
Unlike the Common Law system in the U.S., Canada, England, etc., in Mexico a federal decision does not effect all states.

The first court applied to is a trial court and would not have a national jurisdiction. Federal trial courts in the U.S. have jurisdiction only in their district. The federal Court of Appeals only within their circuit which contains a few states, and only the Supreme Court can make a decision that effects the whole country. Mexico is similar except the states are not obliged to follow all federal laws and judicial decisions. It's a weird system compared to what we are used to.
I am not sure that is correct. In Mexico the supreme law is the federal law, all the states has their own law but is below the federal law or constitution as is properly named.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico