Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 05:46 AM

1,543 posts, read 3,001,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
Anyone who is in Mexico knows that is not true. Most of us have not been bothered by any crime or violence. Drug gangs kill other gang members and that happens in the U.S. also.
Ha! If that was the truth then there would not be so many kids killed. Or is an 8 year old old enough to be a Godfather in Mexico?

Mexico is experiencing a wave of violence that has not been seen before. And the worse part is that the violence will only get worse after 10 years. This is due to the amount of killing off the bosses that Mexico has done. Though not effectively like one would expect. I mean the Mexican government has arrested over 100,000 suspects and most have been let go. That is just a sign of how corrupt Mexico is. Its ridiculous but that is why Mexico is a failed nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 10:06 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
I mean the Mexican government has arrested over 100,000 suspects and most have been let go. That is just a sign of how corrupt Mexico is. Its ridiculous but that is why Mexico is a failed nation.
Maybe it's just a sigh of the responsible application of justice and due process. In America, if you're arrested as a suspect, you NEVER get let go. You will be given a chance to plea bargain a lesser charge, when they can't get a conviction on the original charge, or don't want to bother investigating the case at all. If you don't want to plea bargain (because you're innocent), you either sit in jail for a year and get a half-hour's effort from a public defender, or sell your mother's house to pay bail and attorney's fees. And that's why America is a failed nation.

In Mexico, that 100,000 arrested suspects: Over what period of time? Do you have a citation?

Old 04-01-2011, 11:42 AM

950 posts, read 1,519,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
Anyone who is in Mexico knows that is not true. Most of us have not been bothered by any crime or violence. Drug gangs kill other gang members and that happens in the U.S. also.

In the U.S drugdealers shootup police stations and kidnap and kill politicians ? I didn't know that.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:19 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,349,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
In the U.S drugdealers shootup police stations and kidnap and kill politicians ? I didn't know that.
It might not be happening now but those acts have occurred in the U.S.

Not all police stations in Mexico have been subject to shootings, not all politicians have been kidnapped and not all politicians have been killed.

In the U.S. we have crazies who shoot up college campuses, shoot up shopping centers, McDonald's and Luby's restaurants, Fort Hood, etc. We have crazies who assassinate the president or try to.

Yes, the U.S. doesn't have drug cartels fighting for power right now but it has had its gangsters intimidating and controlling local governments.

Read some U.S. history before you throw stones.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Actually drugs are a problem. Very many lives are being destroyed. Check out the meth addiction. .
Meth addiction occurred exactly because of the war on drugs. Drugs of choice were forced underground, raising the prices steeply, along with the risk. Meth can be created cheaply and simply anywhere. Nobody would be using meth, if other less debilitating drugs were as readily available. Meth is easier to get, it's cheaper, and dollar for dollar, the high lasts longer.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:42 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,131,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Maybe it's just a sigh of the responsible application of justice and due process. In America, if you're arrested as a suspect, you NEVER get let go. You will be given a chance to plea bargain a lesser charge, when they can't get a conviction on the original charge, or don't want to bother investigating the case at all. If you don't want to plea bargain (because you're innocent), you either sit in jail for a year and get a half-hour's effort from a public defender, or sell your mother's house to pay bail and attorney's fees. And that's why America is a failed nation.

In Mexico, that 100,000 arrested suspects: Over what period of time? Do you have a citation?
Do you truly honestly believe that the Mexican police and judicial systems are not corrupt?

Your posts always seem to have the same theme:

United States = automatically bad
everyone else = automatically good

Mexico is going through a war that will eventually come up here and when that does it will be like nothing we have seen ever before in our history.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Do you truly honestly believe that the Mexican police and judicial systems are not corrupt?

Your posts always seem to have the same theme:

United States = automatically bad
everyone else = automatically good

Mexico is going through a war that will eventually come up here and when that does it will be like nothing we have seen ever before in our history.
I didn't say that. All I said was that in the USA, a "suspect" rarely has any alternative but to plead guilty to a plea bargain, in response to a poster who said that in Mexico, suspects actually have a chance of being released without going to jail. Further, he implied that only guilty suspects are ever set free in Mexico, assuming that all suspects are to be presumed guilty in Mexico, as they are in America.

No doubt some Mexican suspects are released because of corruption, but at least a few might be released because they are actually innocent, which would be a huge step forward for the US judicial process to emulate.

My posts do have a fairly consistent theme, but you worded it wrong. My theme is to dispute people who automatically, with no facts or data to back them up, use as a starting point in their argument that the USA is automatically good and every other country is automatically bad. As was the case with this poster, who assumed that America is good and Mexico is bad, and then built his argument on that maxim. He started with a statistic that he could not back up, and then said it is a sign that Mexico is bad---a prejudice that he already bore before he started making up statistics to offer as evidence. When people do that, I offer alternative views. It seems that if I don't, nobody will.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:25 PM

1,543 posts, read 3,001,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Well I used Wikipedia and it is since the start of the war to current.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:12 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,349,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Well I used Wikipedia and it is since the start of the war to current.
The Mexican judicial system is not built to handle the crime it is experiencing now.

You assume because it has a different judicial system, that it must be corrupt. That is a possibility and one reason Mexico changed its Constitution to open courtrooms and trials with defense attorneys, prosecutors, witnesses and defendants.

The local beat police do not investigate crime or take a crime report. The victim must file with the municipality. Then it can take a year to investigate. It is not a system set up to catch criminals.

Mexico hasn't known crime like it has in the last few years and it is working to change its system.

None of the problems Mexico has in prosecuting criminals means that Mexico is corrupt. It means it is inexperienced.

The U.S. is certainly more experienced in violations of the rights of its citizens and forcing innocent people to plead guilty therefore leaving the guilty free to commit more crimes. The U.S. system is very far from perfect.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,051,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
axiixcx is 100% accurate in this part of his statement "It can be fixed. First, the U.S. stops buying drugs.. . . " When residents in the United States quit buying illegal drugs the Mexican drug cartels will be history. Mexico has an abundance of natural resources and people that want a better life. When those people feel safe in their homes and have faith in their leaders they will not want to head North.

Thirty years ago a friend of mine I worked with ( he was here on a student visa and had a green card) made the statement that in a few years Americans would be going to Mexico to retire because the cost of living in the United States would be too high. He was prophetic. I have not considered a move to Mexico but I have friends that are living in Costa Rica and they have almost convinced me to test it out.

GL2
That was the thinking when prohabition was neded with organised crimein US. They just moved on to other rackets. There is no way your goig to styop the illegal use of drugs;legal or illegal.The probelm is the same you attack the smaller atrgets of htose involve ;not the beeer drinkers by the millions. Remmeebr its the violence that needs targeting here and as long as the corruptio i the society is high it will continue.Loo at the growth in domestic drugs in this country.Drug legally manufacturewr is a growing part of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico