Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:47 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,003 times

Advertisements

I genuinely do not understand why anyone would go to the trouble of moving to a foreign country just to hang out with other gringos.

Me. I'm an European but believe it or not I enjoy the company of "gringos" (and Canadians), but the US is too expensive and cold in winter, so I choose for snowbirding the next best thing : Mexico and Central America, places where I can meet lots of them (once again I appreciate their company, I find Americans and Canadians more authentic and easygoing than most Europeans), like Puerto Vallarta or Lake Chapala, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 04:40 PM

972 posts, read 3,925,159 times
I genuinely do not understand why anyone would go to the trouble of moving to a foreign country just to hang out with other gringos.

Maybe is because they don't care about Mexico or his population, they only want to maximize their money traveling and living partial time in a more accessible country as Mexico.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:42 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,881,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post

Me. I'm an European but believe it or not I enjoy the company of "gringos" (and Canadians), but the US is too expensive and cold in winter, so I choose for snowbirding the next best thing : Mexico and Central America, places where I can meet lots of them (once again I appreciate their company, I find Americans and Canadians more authentic and easygoing than most Europeans), like Puerto Vallarta or Lake Chapala, etc
Many parts of Florida are now about as cheap as PV at least for an expat snowbird lifestyle. Plenty of the same type of people around without having to go through a hunt for an English speaking crowd.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:02 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,912,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palenaka View Post
How about Todas Los Santos? It's a less expensive then Cabo. On the Gulf side there's La Paz, Loreto and San Jose del Cabo.
Probably just a tad too small for me. otherwise the location is great!

Old 04-07-2011, 01:17 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Just because you want to move somehwere that has a larger population of people that speak your language should certainly not infer "I don't want to hang with Mexicans".
What we should move somewhere where we are the only gringo in town? Really?

Just like Mexicans don't move to BFE, Ohio. They move to Cleveland where PEOPLE LIKE THEM live.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:10 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,045,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
There's a sense of comfort and safety in numbers. Same reason people who come to America from other foreign countries tend to do the same thing.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:08 AM

684 posts, read 1,150,517 times
PV is really nice, but Mazatlan should also be on the list.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:17 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,003 times
@ Willy 702 : the hinch is that there are often cold spells in Florida , besides it attracts a lot of snowbirders so it's still more expensive than Latin America.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:54 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
@ Willy 702 : the hinch is that there are often cold spells in Florida , besides it attracts a lot of snowbirders so it's still more expensive than Latin America.
Not to mention the inordinately high cost of home insurance [due to hurricanes, past and anticipated] as well as taxes! Because of this, Mexico's culture and numerous other reasons, Florida can't compare with many other places in Latin America. And the weather there is over-rated IMHO - although warmer than other places in the US, still during the winter months, it can be cool - even in cities in southern Florida. My mom lived in Naples for many years and I recall one Christmas afternoon having to wear a heavy sweater on the beach. Not so in PV...

Old 04-13-2011, 03:44 PM

402 posts, read 686,371 times
San Carlos. the one near Guaymas. 330 miles south of tucson, been there 8 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico