Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 02:36 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times

Advertisements

I know of San Miguel and Lake Chapala but these are at altitudes too high for me. Does anyone know a couple of the largest gathering places for English-speaking foreigners in Mexico---preferably on the Pacific, Sea of Cortez, or Gulf, larger city with good health care services and facilities for retirees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 06:21 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,479 times
Puerto Vallarta has a large ex-pat community and there are several on the Pacific side that have hundreds if not a few thousand ex-pats.

Puerto Vallarta forums:
Puerto Vallarta Mexico Forum (Bulletin Boards) :: Index
The Puerto Vallarta Scene Forum
All Vallarta Message Board for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico Forums

Other areas:

Main Index - The Pacific Coast of Mexico

Old 04-03-2011, 07:30 AM

I forgot about this excellent English newspaper for information about Guadalajara, Lake Chapala and the coast.

Guadalajara Reporter

Old 04-03-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
Puerto Vallarta has a large ex-pat community and there are several on the Pacific side that have hundreds if not a few thousand ex-pats.

Puerto Vallarta forums:
Puerto Vallarta Mexico Forum (Bulletin Boards) :: Index
The Puerto Vallarta Scene Forum
All Vallarta Message Board for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico Forums

Other areas:

Main Index - The Pacific Coast of Mexico
Thanks for the links, axixic2.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:49 PM

Out of curiosity I looked today at other expat communities and found some that require much more exploration. Belize looks interesting because the language is English, it's politically stable, English political system and has an English/ U.S. common law judicial system. There are mountain cities where expats can live for a year round cooler climate and it is about a 3 day drive to the Texas border.

Panama did get great reviews though.

Belize Current Affairs - Belize Forums (http://www.belizeculture.com/forum/9-belize-current-affairs/ - broken link)
Belize climate weather meteorology weaterh patterns

Retiring In Belize - Page Two

Corozal real estate, rentals:
Retiring In Belize - Page Three

Rentals are relatively inexpensive -- $100-$200 for a nice Belizean-style house or $300-$700 for a modern American-style house.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:20 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
Out of curiosity I looked today at other expat communities and found some that require much more exploration. Belize looks interesting because the language is English, it's politically stable, English political system and has an English/ U.S. common law judicial system. There are mountain cities where expats can live for a year round cooler climate and it is about a 3 day drive to the Texas border.

Belize Current Affairs - Belize Forums (http://www.belizeculture.com/forum/9-belize-current-affairs/ - broken link)
Belize climate weather meteorology weaterh patterns

Retiring In Belize - Page Two

Corozal real estate, rentals:
Retiring In Belize - Page Three

Rentals are relatively inexpensive -- $100-$200 for a nice Belizean-style house or $300-$700 for a modern American-style house.
That's because Belize is a former British colony (British Honduras) and remains a Commonwealth realm (ie: the King/Queen of the United Kingdom is also the King/Queen of Belize). I believe it was the only British colony on the Central American mainland.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:02 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I know of San Miguel and Lake Chapala but these are at altitudes too high for me. Does anyone know a couple of the largest gathering places for English-speaking foreigners in Mexico---preferably on the Pacific, Sea of Cortez, or Gulf, larger city with good health care services and facilities for retirees?
I guess Rosarito in Baja California is the place you are looking for...

Old 04-04-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:

The father south, the less desirable for me just because of the rising humidity & heat and the earthquake zone. Everything else seems to be ideal.

Quote:
I guess Rosarito in Baja California is the place you are looking for...
So far somewhere along Baja---Rosarito or Cabo might have to do. Don't know about the hospital situation in both but Cabo is likely nearly as pricey as USA for COL.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 PM

512 posts, read 947,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So far somewhere along Baja---Rosarito or Cabo might have to do. Don't know about the hospital situation in both but Cabo is likely nearly as pricey as USA for COL.
How about Todas Los Santos? It's a less expensive then Cabo. On the Gulf side there's La Paz, Loreto and San Jose del Cabo.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:49 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
I genuinely do not understand why anyone would go to the trouble of moving to a foreign country just to hang out with other gringos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico