Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 10:17 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,247,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
I was born in Mexico but now am naturalized U.S. citizen. I have children and I never even knew they could apply for Mexican citizenship. I would love to know why someone would want Mexican citizenship. My question is not meant in a bad way at all. I am now super, super curious why someone would want it.
the simplest explanation is that you can own a property in the border and or the beach. you can work and live in both countries without a problem. you had access to IMSS pension if you are young enough and make the points working in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 02:29 PM

12,183 posts, read 8,573,157 times
You could also ask people on the various Mexico expat forums. There should be people there who have personal experience. Here's an active one, for example:

Mexico Expat Forum for Expats Living in Mexico - Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad

Old 06-01-2018, 05:10 PM

6,527 posts, read 7,622,134 times
For me, I was 24 and living in Mexico (renting) at the time so getting citizenship made it easier for me to get a Baja California drivers license and IFE voter card so that I could be in the Country without having to get a tourist visit. I could live down there as a Mexican and not a foreigner.

My long term goal was to buy property in Baja, but then I fell in love with a gringita who refused to move down there with me. I married her, had kids and bought a house in San Diego and the rest is history. One day I will own property down there, maybe a 2nd home but right now I am not in a place to buy a 2nd home.

Another goal I have is to start a bi-national business that operates mostly in Mexico, but again, we are not at that point.

Another reason is to get a Mexican passport, there are certain countries Mexicans can travel to that do not require whereas for the American passport they would.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,964 times
Where you able to complete the process of getting citizenship? All that is required is a copy of your mothers Mexican birth certificate and a copy of your U.S. birth certificate apostilled for presentation in Mexico. With this your birth can be registered in Mexico and you thus become a Mexican citizen by birth. If you need a source let me know!

Old 04-15-2019, 01:05 AM

^^ What? No.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:37 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,112,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
^^ What? No.

Yea rangerX giving terrible advice. Not true in either thread.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:44 PM

3 posts, read 1,768 times
I was born in Mexico of a Mexican Mother and American Father. I obtained a US passport at age 18. I now want to claim dual citizenship so that I can have a US passport and a Mexican passport. What is needed to start the process? The links provided don't fit my case.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:52 PM

Your case is different than mine and the OP's, you are a Mexican by birth. Do you have a birth certificate? Are you in the US or in Mexico?

Old 05-02-2019, 03:39 PM

3 posts, read 1,768 times
Thank you for responding! Yes, I have my original Mexican birth certificate. I am in the US.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:48 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,247,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawnskin View Post
Thank you for responding! Yes, I have my original Mexican birth certificate. I am in the US.
Then you don´t need anything else. You are mexican, congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico