Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 04:53 PM

26 posts, read 22,652 times

Advertisements

Planning a trip to Mexico for 9 nights to Tulum. Will be flying in from the U.S. I am a little confused. When going to book on the vacation websites it does not say anything about having to be in quarantine for 14 days. When I called spirit to ask about travel restrictions, the operator on the phone said "Yes, it doesn't say anything about it on the site because they are trying to make money but you have to quarantine for 14 days" .... never heard anything so unprofessional in my life.

Can anybody update me on what exactly travel to Mexico requires because if I can't go, I simply won't go, although I've read the embassy sites and it doesn't say anything about a 14 day quarantine ??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 05:01 PM

131,139 posts, read 12,255,669 times
If I were you, I'd wait. No guarantee of entry.

https://mx.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...9-information/

Old 07-16-2020, 07:00 PM

26 posts, read 22,652 times
It says non-essential travel is restricted until July 21st . I'm aware that things are changing so it's risky. Weird thing is, I've seen alot of people going recently and they seem to have had no problems

Old 07-17-2020, 12:31 AM

6,386 posts, read 11,924,404 times
Anything could happen but it sounds like if you are going to a tourism center that had reopened there is no problem getting in by air. Cancun is well documented to be reopened so doubt you will have an issue. The quarantine is just a mild suggestion but there is no one to hold you go it and obviously the tourism zones know few are staying many weeks so they certainly won't be expecting you to stay in your room that entire time.

Lots of YouTube personalities in Spanish have been doing videos on what Cancun is like currently, you can see the extra steps they are taking.

Old 07-17-2020, 05:36 AM

43,877 posts, read 44,652,852 times
I think certain parts of Mexico are open to tourism while other parts aren't. The OP needs to check specifically on they plan on going to.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:50 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,621,942 times
Yeah similar to USA some parts of Mexico have had an "oh ****" moment and scaled things back.

Yucatan, for example, just reinstated their covid-19 related dry laws. It's a pretty fluid situation and as others have mentioned varies by state.

Old 07-17-2020, 02:41 PM

23,176 posts, read 12,305,332 times
You can see on various FB groups that lots of Americans (70,000 tourists entered Cancun in June) are going to Mexico and there hasn't been a single report of anyone denied entry or forced into a quarantine. I personally know at least 7 people that have just been or are in Cozumel. Many are reporting the questionnaire form you fill out on the plane isn't even being collected. Most say temperatures are being taken but not always.

Even at the height of it all in April and May, ex-pat groups reported flights arriving and people coming and going.

That said, it's a fluid situation so planning a trip is risky at the moment. You can plan a trip for next month and find out just before you leave that the beach won't be open or bars won't be open or hotels are closed.

Old 07-17-2020, 03:27 PM

4,038 posts, read 1,904,278 times
Right just talked to friends today back from cancun last week - no problems at all. Fly though, no land borders.

Old 07-25-2020, 09:01 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,991,991 times
Reports from the San Ysidro border is Mexican officers are not turning back Americans from entering by car or foot. It appears Mexico is willing to deal with the devil than lose more visitor dollars. I agree with this, you pay one way or the other. Its not like Mexico has government programs for people to fall back on Like America with its over the top generous extra 600 dollars a week UI benefits or 1200 dollars stimulus checks.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:28 PM

6,386 posts, read 11,924,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Reports from the San Ysidro border is Mexican officers are not turning back Americans from entering by car or foot. It appears Mexico is willing to deal with the devil than lose more visitor dollars. I agree with this, you pay one way or the other. Its not like Mexico has government programs for people to fall back on Like America with its over the top generous extra 600 dollars a week UI benefits or 1200 dollars stimulus checks.
Yep, pretty much what I expected. I mean how can Mexican officials say the country is closed to non-essential tourism, but then all the major resort cities are open for visitors and have flights restarting to bring in foreign visitors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico