Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:56 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I dont think that Mexicans have their own version of Spanish. It was mentioned already that in our language we include words from the Nauatl. As as much as the words vary depending on your social level. You will find a very different way of expression in the ghetto than upper class
Mexicans speak Spanish, but not the Castilian version. All Spanish speaking countries speak the same language, but we all have our own versions. However, a person from Mexico will not have any problems understanding a Spaniard or Venezuelan. Furthermore, we all write with the same grammar. If Mexicans decide to incorporate some Nauatl words into their daily conversations, that would be consider improper Spanish, but nevertheless, it is still Spanish language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
Of course not. Castillian Spanish is solely spoken around, well Castille. I am pretty sure less than half of Spaniards speak Castillian.
Castillian Spanish is spoken in all of Spain. Each region, like Galicia, the Basque Country and Calaluña have their own language, but Spanish is recognized and understood by all Spaniards.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soymabelen View Post
let us educate ourselves and stop spreading this myth.

Number one, a lisp is the inability to pronounce the sound "s". Spaniards can and do pronounce the s sound. It is even in their country and language name "España, español". Any Spaniard, except those with a true lisp, will pronounce those words with an s sound!

I am including a link where this MYTH is explained.

History of the Spanish Language - a knol by David A. Pharies#

Myth #1: The zeta sound (unvoiced interdental fricative /θ/) entered Peninsular Spanish when the defective speech of a lisping king was imitated by the court – either because of his prestige or to avoid offending him – whence it spread to the general population. This myth is widespread among Spanish teachers in the United States and I have seen reference to it on Spanish American websites as well. Since American varieties of Spanish do not have the unvoiced interdental fricative /θ/ in their speech, its presence in Peninsular varieties is viewed as an eccentricity in need of explanation.

The myth is easy to disprove. First of all, if /θ/ arose in imitation of a lisp, how to explain that Peninsular Spanish has an /s/ phoneme? Clearly, a lisping king would not pronounce las cinco cebras ‘the five zebras’ as [las θíŋko θébras], as most Spaniards do, but as [laθ θíŋko θébraθ]. Second, historical information shows that whereas modern Spanish /s/ corresponds to Latin /s/ (sex > seis ‘six’, septem > siete ‘seven’), Spanish /θ/ corresponds to a number of Latin consonant/vowel combinations, often involving /k/ (Spoken Lat. cīnque [ki:ŋkwe] > cinco ‘five’, undecim [undekim] > once [ónθe] ‘eleven’).

English also has a /θ/ phoneme, and yet no one suggests that English speakers lisp, so the question arises as to why it is seen as aberrant in Peninsular Spanish. The answer is that it occurs in Peninsular Spanish where American Spanish speakers and English speakers expect /s/. This is obvious in the case of American Spanish, since these varieties have /s/ for /θ/ in all cases. In English, it is unexpected because Peninsular Spanish speakers use /θ/ in a number of words spelled ci- and ce- whose English equivalents are pronounced with /s/, cf. Eng. cease, cell, cement, cipher, circle, circuit, cite, and city, corresponding to Sp. cesar, célula, cifra, círculo, circuito, citar and ciudad. The cited English words are all loanwords from Old French, a language in which /s/ and the products of /ke/ and /ki/ merged as /s/.

Please, let's stop spreading the myth.
Thank your for that explanation. I heard that same myth many years ago when I was in high school and it sounded too stupid to be true.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
You are wrong!

Sorry to put it so bluntly, but what you are describing is a different phenomenom.

The speakers you are talking about are probably from Andalusia or the Canary Islands. Many speakers in these regions do drop their s sounds when next to a consonant sound, as well as their final consonant sounds, but will pronounce their s sounds at the beginning of words, for example, Sevilla. This is different from a lisp, which, again, is the inability to pronounce an s sound and pronouncing it instead with an "th" sound.

You will find many interesting pronunciation variations within Andalusia!
The Spanish spoken in Cuba is pretty similar to that from the Canary Islands. Why? because most of the Spanish colonist in Cuba came from that region in Spain. It is interesting that the word for bus in "Cuban" is guagua (english pronunciation would be something like wuawua), just like in the Canary Islands. The reason why it is guagua is because that is the sound the bus would make as it would approach the bus stop, so people started calling the bus, guagua.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:08 AM

239 posts, read 723,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
The Spanish spoken in Cuba is pretty similar to that from the Canary Islands. Why? because most of the Spanish colonist in Cuba came from that region in Spain. It is interesting that the word for bus in "Cuban" is guagua (english pronunciation would be something like wuawua), just like in the Canary Islands. The reason why it is guagua is because that is the sound the bus would make as it would approach the bus stop, so people started calling the bus, guagua.
Yes, you are right.

Taken from the same link I gave above, this is explained further:

"The same leveling process that results in the birth of the Andalusian variety is also a major factor in the formation of the many local speech varieties in Spanish America. The majority of conquistadors and settlers are Castilians, Andalusians, or Canary Islanders (whose dialect is very much akin to that of western Andalusia), but immigrants from Galicia and the entire eastern half of Spain are also common. Here, the leveling process leads to the universal adoption of the Andalusian seseo and replacement of vosotros. Two additional factors are decisive in the determination of local speech characteristics in America. First is the intensity and nature of contact with Spain that applied in each area. Lowland areas, i.e., coastal areas and the islands of the Caribbean, for example, maintain strong contact with the evolving language of Andalusia through that region’s dominance in transatlantic transportation. This factor explains the fact that American lowlands varieties share additional significant traits with Andalusian, including all four of those listed above. The Spanish that arises in areas far from the coasts is less subject to this influence since, in administrative centers far from the sea – such as Bogotá and Mexico City – the prestige of Castilian remains paramount, though not to such a degree as to impede the leveling process. The second factor is patterns of immigration to Spanish America, especially in the nineteenth century. Records show that Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Venezuela received so many Andalusians and especially Canary Islanders through this century that their speech had a decisive effect on local speech patterns. Indeed, to an outsider’s ear the Spanish of the Caribbean, Canary Islands, and Andalusia are strikingly similar."

This is such an interesting subject, yet also much misunderstood!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:30 AM

983 posts, read 3,597,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Well, the Spanish people I know speak like that : habla u(s)té E(s)panyol ?
s and d are words that are not pronounced.
So actually they lisp ! (about the Latinos I don't know)
There are actually Spaniards who pronounce the S as English TH. They're called ceceantes (or zezeantes) and are found in parts of Andalusia. This is not to be confused with seseantes and "Standard Spanish" where S and Z/C are pronounced differently.

I've heard a couple of ceceantes/zezeantes. It sounded funny at first but you get used to it quickly. After a few minutes of conversation you don't even notice it anymore.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 AM

972 posts, read 3,924,625 times
like George Hamilton in the movie ¨zorro¨ ?? :lol:

Old 01-28-2009, 09:58 AM

239 posts, read 723,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
There are actually Spaniards who pronounce the S as English TH. They're called ceceantes (or zezeantes) and are found in parts of Andalusia. This is not to be confused with seseantes and "Standard Spanish" where S and Z/C are pronounced differently.

I've heard a couple of ceceantes/zezeantes. It sounded funny at first but you get used to it quickly. After a few minutes of conversation you don't even notice it anymore.
You are right about your explanation of "ceceo". I am confused about "seseo", are you equating it to Standard European Spanish pronounciation or saying they are different? "Seseo" is not standard European Spanish pronunciation, although it is Standard Latin American Spanish pronounciation.

A brief summary:

Both "ceceo" and "seseo" are variations of standard European Spanish pronunciation.

In "ceceo", all "s" letters as well as all "ce,ci" and "z" letters are pronounced with the sound "th".

In "seseo", the opposite occurs, which is what you find in Latin America, i.e., all "s" letters as well as all "ce,ci" and "z" letters are pronounced with the sound "s".

Both "ceceo" and "seseo" are different from Standard European Spanish pronounciation, in which the "s" letter is pronounced with an "s" sound, but "ce,ci" and "z" letters are pronounced with the sound "th".

Old 01-28-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Yes, you are right.

Taken from the same link I gave above, this is explained further:

"The same leveling process that results in the birth of the Andalusian variety is also a major factor in the formation of the many local speech varieties in Spanish America. The majority of conquistadors and settlers are Castilians, Andalusians, or Canary Islanders (whose dialect is very much akin to that of western Andalusia), but immigrants from Galicia and the entire eastern half of Spain are also common. Here, the leveling process leads to the universal adoption of the Andalusian seseo and replacement of vosotros. Two additional factors are decisive in the determination of local speech characteristics in America. First is the intensity and nature of contact with Spain that applied in each area. Lowland areas, i.e., coastal areas and the islands of the Caribbean, for example, maintain strong contact with the evolving language of Andalusia through that region’s dominance in transatlantic transportation. This factor explains the fact that American lowlands varieties share additional significant traits with Andalusian, including all four of those listed above. The Spanish that arises in areas far from the coasts is less subject to this influence since, in administrative centers far from the sea – such as Bogotá and Mexico City – the prestige of Castilian remains paramount, though not to such a degree as to impede the leveling process. The second factor is patterns of immigration to Spanish America, especially in the nineteenth century. Records show that Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Venezuela received so many Andalusians and especially Canary Islanders through this century that their speech had a decisive effect on local speech patterns. Indeed, to an outsider’s ear the Spanish of the Caribbean, Canary Islands, and Andalusia are strikingly similar."

This is such an interesting subject, yet also much misunderstood!
I know!!! I love it. We all speak the same language but so many variations and tones. And yet, most poeple are not aware of why we speak the way we do. Thanks for the link, it is great!

Old 09-17-2009, 06:14 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
No, I am saying that the castillian accent, as spoken in parts of Spain, has a lisp to it, derived from a former king of spain, who, if not homosexual, certainly sounded like a stereotypical one. This is also the derivation of the stereotype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico