Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 06:50 PM

567 posts, read 1,447,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Precisely - AND a drug war going on...
So why destroy the rest of the country's tourist economy by implying it is all of Mexico?

(But I don't think either that the residents of Juarez and other border cities consider where they live to be miles and miles of "nothingness".)

BTW - I don't have a tourist business -just live here part-time..
i never said its all of mexico (im actually defending mexico). yes, outside of the cities it is miles and miles of nothingness in northern mexico just like in some parts of texas, california, arizona ect ect. other than nature, what is there to do in the middle of the sonoran desert? please tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,262 times
There are lots of small bands of criminals that are not in drug gangs in Mexico and will kidnap Americans on vacation for $100,000 per person. I know this from living near Mexico and working with Mexicans. Even wealthy Mexicans are kidnapped in Mexico. That is why they hire security for their families.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,801 times
I live in Acapulco. Your kids should be safe. YEs there wer 22 kidnaps this past week a very misterious case, the 22 tourists are from our neighbor state of Michoacan, all men and were not kidnapped from a tourist bus but from 2 compact cars and 2 trucks, most likely something ilicit is going on there, the located the cars but no blood or signs of death. They donot pick random people to kidnap. If you are involve in drugs, or in cartels or have something pending with them, then you are in trouble. They are only fighting amonst themselves, for the territory. Yes we have had about 30,000 deaths since 2006, but we have a population of about 110,000,000 people, which is about the same amount of deaths that were reported in Washibgton, D.C. in 2008. Your chikdren should be safe, especially in the tourists area. Sometimes the media tends to exaggerate or make more of what it really is. And let's also keep in mind that violence and drug violence is everywhere! Including in the USA. Or how do you think that ton of thousands are imported to the USA without getting caught through the suffosticated security systems you guys have in America? But do not fear, they should be very safe here in Acapulco! We always welcome our tourists with open arms!

Old 04-28-2011, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,475 times
Ok, this is rediculous. The main thing is that your son and his friends need to be smart, and if you still worry about them, there are multiple other, SAFER places where they can go; Costa Rica, Jamaica, Bahamas, Virgin Islands, etc.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:55 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,743,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smart1012 View Post
Ok, this is rediculous. The main thing is that your son and his friends need to be smart, and if you still worry about them, there are multiple other, SAFER places where they can go; Costa Rica, Jamaica, Bahamas, Virgin Islands, etc.
Jamaica has one of the highest murder rates in the world (in fact much higher than Mexico's).

Old 05-02-2011, 12:50 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,898,486 times
I know this thread is old...
But recently 5 women including a 14 year old girl were murdered in Acapulco, very close to the resort areas.
Five Mexican Women Murdered In Acapulco

Chances are if you stick to a resort and never leave you will be ok. But the over spill into local bars, resturants etc... is starting to happen. Why risk being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

There are simply wayyy to many other palces to go and spend your vacation dollars.

No US government agents are allowed to travel to Mexico for pleasure. The travel warnings are there for a reason. Kidnappings happen ALL the time.

If you go and you or a family member is kidnapped or murdered the first people you contact are US govt officals, who then must spend alot of amn hours and even put thier lives in danger for you. Our govt has warned against travel.

The women who was killed in Mexico city on the steps of the capital...waht do you think would have happened to you if you were there on tour and just happened to witness it? You were not the target, but believe me they will not leave an eye witness.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,777,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
I know this thread is old...
But recently 5 women including a 14 year old girl were murdered in Acapulco, very close to the resort areas.
Five Mexican Women Murdered In Acapulco

Chances are if you stick to a resort and never leave you will be ok. But the over spill into local bars, resturants etc... is starting to happen. Why risk being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

There are simply wayyy to many other palces to go and spend your vacation dollars.

No US government agents are allowed to travel to Mexico for pleasure. The travel warnings are there for a reason. Kidnappings happen ALL the time.

If you go and you or a family member is kidnapped or murdered the first people you contact are US govt officals, who then must spend alot of amn hours and even put thier lives in danger for you. Our govt has warned against travel.

The women who was killed in Mexico city on the steps of the capital...waht do you think would have happened to you if you were there on tour and just happened to witness it? You were not the target, but believe me they will not leave an eye witness.
They were not American women. Tourists are not being targetted except by the street criminals that are a problem in many cities in many countries.

There's no reason to think those women were just random killings, they weren't.

If you are on tour in Juarez which is actually a dangerous city, you're also very likely never going to witness anything. There might be 10 murders going on but it's a big city and they probably won't happen where you happen to be. I know people who live in Juarez and they say they never see anything, never saw a body or someone killed, the most they see is police lights or cars down some road as they head into work or home and know something happened but they didn't witness anything.

Everyone I know that goes there says it's normal on the surface. People still out shopping, going to school, running errands. The drug cartel killings are targetted, the carjackings are targetted if you have a vehicle some lowlife wants.

For this I do think a lot of the violence is too hyped. People don't avoid every city in the USA because Detroit has a high homicide rate or because Los Angeles is very violent or because Phoenix is one of the bigger kidnapping capitals of the world. Cartels are fighting among themselves for control of trafficking routes and the drug business but they aren't getting innocent people just because they feel like doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico