Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:40 AM

371 posts, read 1,567,500 times

Advertisements

My friend's son and his friends are leaving friday for spring break....I know there is alot of things going in Mexico right now...but is Acapulco safe?? Where is all the drug related problems going on right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 03:01 PM

972 posts, read 3,926,554 times
If you have fear of send your sons to another country that obviously not known, do not do it, better send them to another destination in the United States, or Bahamas, Barbados, St. Barts, Etc...

Old 03-11-2009, 06:57 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,278,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
My friend's son and his friends are leaving friday for spring break....I know there is alot of things going in Mexico right now...but is Acapulco safe?? Where is all the drug related problems going on right now?
As long as he and his friends stay away from people who use drugs, he should be okay. The beaches are patrolled by armed guards on a bi-hourly basis, it's been that way since the 70s that I witnessed myself, so it's nothing new. Most crime happens away from the hotel zones.

As I said, if he stays away from drugs, he will be fine. I know that sounds elementary, but it really is. Acapulco was in the news a year, or two ago. Some Canadians were caught in the crossfire of drug dealers and police. In another incident, a few decapitated heads were hurled into one of the police stations as a warning, and then a couple of bodies washed up on the beach. All but the Canadian incident happened away from the tourist areas. My own family went there two years ago and saw nothing, and I doubt your son will either.

Lastly, with all the focus on Mexico, and travel warnings issued by the US (later modified), I think Mexico is going to go through extra measures to make sure nothing happens, they don't want/need the negative publicity.

'Sorry if I scared you, I'm a parent too so I don't say that to worry you, but I thought you should know the truth.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:03 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,871,158 times
the bahamas is a great destination for vacation, just dont go past downtown nassau if you aren't familiar with it

Old 03-12-2009, 12:42 AM

567 posts, read 1,446,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
are you asking because you heard bill o'reily(?) say it was dangerous on the news yesterday? no, it is not dangerous. most of the violence in mexico is close to the u.s. border. the only way it could possibly be dangerous is if your friends son is a drug smuggler.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:26 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,193,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK94 View Post
are you asking because you heard bill o'reily(?) say it was dangerous on the news yesterday? no, it is not dangerous. most of the violence in mexico is close to the u.s. border. the only way it could possibly be dangerous is if your friends son is a drug smuggler.
I second those comments! Don't know why this incorrect assertion is made in the media that *all* Mexico is dangerous because of drugs. Of course, it's mainly the border cities! Would you not go to New England because there're drug wars raging in L.A.?
It's crazy that because of these misperceptions tourism is down in Mexico. Normally when we fly into the Vallarta airport the planes are packed full of tourists. This last time surprisingly there were quite a few empty seats. It's a shame when people just blindly listen to the media without checking out things more thoroughly for themselves..

And I still have to wonder why some media sources are inaccurately reporting the true facts!

Old 03-12-2009, 11:48 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,848,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
And I still have to wonder why some media sources are inaccurately reporting the true facts!
I don't know... the LA Times has a section dedicated to this:

Mexico's Drug War - Stories, Photos, Videos - Mexico Under Siege - World News - Los Angeles Times

Looks pretty serious to me...

Old 03-12-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
I second those comments! Don't know why this incorrect assertion is made in the media that *all* Mexico is dangerous because of drugs. Of course, it's mainly the border cities! Would you not go to New England because there're drug wars raging in L.A.?
It's crazy that because of these misperceptions tourism is down in Mexico. Normally when we fly into the Vallarta airport the planes are packed full of tourists. This last time surprisingly there were quite a few empty seats. It's a shame when people just blindly listen to the media without checking out things more thoroughly for themselves..

i know. bill o'reilley(?) says acapulco is a hub for colombian cocaine. well so! once it gets to mexico they bring it to hub cities like houston, el paso, and atlanta. so my answer is if you would fear for their life in acapulco, then you should fear for your life in atlanta just as much.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:51 PM

330 posts, read 937,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
I don't know... the LA Times has a section dedicated to this:

Mexico's Drug War - Stories, Photos, Videos - Mexico Under Siege - World News - Los Angeles Times

Looks pretty serious to me...

You are absolutely correct Mexico has gotten really bad I live in Texas and we get all the news... they are kidnapping americans and their own people and some peole have had to pay 2000-5000 to get their loved ones back and this is in the resort areas!! PS the Mayor in Mexico has taken his family out of the country for safety... that would be enough for me!!

Old 03-12-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmac12 View Post
You are absolutely correct Mexico has gotten really bad I live in Texas and we get all the news... they are kidnapping americans and their own people and some peole have had to pay 2000-5000 to get their loved ones back and this is in the resort areas!! PS the Mayor in Mexico has taken his family out of the country for safety... that would be enough for me!!
mexicos murder rate is the only crime that is higher than americas. all crime together we have 4 times as many crimes per 100k than mexico. plus, from what i hear mostly is that those people getting kidnapped and kill mostly owe the cartel drug money. they dont go out and terrorize random people. it doesn't make sense why millionaire drug smugglers would kidnapp someone for 5k. they probably make millions a day off of americas drug problems alone. they are an organization just like the mafia, not some petty gang members in their teens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico