Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 07:35 PM

917 posts, read 897,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
NY also has a massive public transportation system that will never be replicated in Miami. This will long be a competitive advantage for NY compared to many other cities.
Miami doesn't need a NYC-style subway system. First of all, while tunnels can be built in South FL, as is proven with the US 1 tunnel in Ft Lauderdale and in the Port of Miami, a subway system can work, but you'd have to worry about flooding, which would be a major liability for such a system, and the fact that NYC has one of the oldest subway systems in the country as well as the largest one in comparison to Miami's relatively newer, elevated system plus a lot more lines to move a lot of commuters within NYC's 300 sq. mi. Once again, you're comparing apples to tomatoes when it comes to NYC and Miami, as NYC and Miami are completely different in scale, size, and feel.

All South FL needs is two major commuter lines to move riders from Miami through Broward and Palm Beach Counties, and maybe another Tri Rail line from MIC to Homestead, as well as Brightline branches from Miami Central to Ft Myers via US 27 and FL 80 and Naples via I-75.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2024, 02:13 PM

433 posts, read 661,446 times
The comparison to NY isn't literal. Most people are simply looking at the urban core of Miami and at the current pace of development it's clear most those areas will be dense enough to have the benefits that NY has from their density.

So in the near future will Brickell, CBD, Edgewater, Wynwood, etc be just as dense as some Manhattan neighorhoods? Probably. Brickell for example is more dense than Midtown. Will the Miami MSA ever rival the density of NY MSA? Hopefully not.

Manhattan is over 22 square miles while Miami's core is under 4. 10 miles from Manhattan in any direction and everything is fairly dense. 10 miles from Miami's urban core gets you from 80 stories buildings to multiple single family home neighborhoods and everything in between. Not to mention all of the Beach communities up to Bal Harbour. While they both sit on the Atlantic the water at these two locations is obviously night and day in Miami 's favor.

So I don't think anyone wants Weston to be as dense as Queens. The fact that Miami can have a dense core, suburbs and world renowned beaches in proximity is something NY will never have. Meanwhile most of the cultural amenities of NY will be added to Miami as the urban core densifies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSBxOIjaAxo

Old 05-15-2024, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
The comparison to NY isn't literal. Most people are simply looking at the urban core of Miami and at the current pace of development it's clear most those areas will be dense enough to have the benefits that NY has from their density.

So in the near future will Brickell, CBD, Edgewater, Wynwood, etc be just as dense as some Manhattan neighorhoods? Probably. Brickell for example is more dense than Midtown. Will the Miami MSA ever rival the density of NY MSA? Hopefully not.
There could be a time within our lifetimes that Miami may be almost as dense as NYC. Currently, Miami is the 9th densest city amongst cities with at least 100K people in the US at about 12,284 ppsm as well as the 4th densest core city behind only NYC, SF, and Boston, which is great company. The Miami MSA is the three county region of Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties.

I believe that the densities of those counties will be reliant on cities such as Ft Lauderdale, Hollywood, Boca Raton, and West Palm Beach as opposed to making everything "look like NY". It's also going to come a time where each county is going to have some sort of expansion of mass transit system to transport commuters within those counties, too.

Quote:
Manhattan is over 22 square miles while Miami's core is under 4. 10 miles from Manhattan in any direction and everything is fairly dense. 10 miles from Miami's urban core gets you from 80 stories buildings to multiple single family home neighborhoods and everything in between. Not to mention all of the Beach communities up to Bal Harbour. While they both sit on the Atlantic the water at these two locations is obviously night and day in Miami 's favor.

So I don't think anyone wants Weston to be as dense as Queens. The fact that Miami can have a dense core, suburbs and world renowned beaches in proximity is something NY will never have. Meanwhile most of the cultural amenities of NY will be added to Miami as the urban core densifies.
Manhattan is practically 22 sq. mi. from Bowling Green to Marble Hill. If anything, are you referring the CBD's of Lower Manhattan and Midtown Manhattan from Bowling Green to 59th St? I believe that certain neighborhoods adjacent to Downtown Miami such as South Brickell, The Roads, East Little Havana, Overtown, Wynwood, Civic Center, and a portion of the Port of Miami will eventually have to densify due to the high demand of wanting to live, work and play in Miami.

Not sure if Weston will be as dense as Queens, and I doubt that Weston will see anything to the scale of Queens, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised if communities such as Pembroke Pines, Miramar, and Weston continues to see rapid growth.

Quote:
I love what the video has portrayed Miami would look like by 2030. I'd be even more thrilled if half of the Port of Miami was developed with supertalls and even a megatall skyscraper!

Old 05-15-2024, 04:05 PM

17,585 posts, read 15,736,439 times
Quote:

Brickell is not remotely close to being as dense as Midtown Manhattan.

Old 05-17-2024, 08:58 AM

160 posts, read 62,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
According to City Data stats, the 33131 zip code has 57,260 ppsm. so is technically denser than the Midtown Manhattan neighborhood as a whole (40,978 ppsm). Of course that zip constitutes a very small area and not all of Brickell, but if accurate those numbers are pretty impressive.

Old 05-17-2024, 09:24 AM

17,585 posts, read 15,736,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrestores View Post
According to City Data stats, the 33131 zip code has 57,260 ppsm. so is technically denser than the Midtown Manhattan neighborhood as a whole (40,978 ppsm). Of course that zip constitutes a very small area and not all of Brickell, but if accurate those numbers are pretty impressive.
So a small part of Brickell (the most dense part) is denser than the entirety of Midtown Manhattan.

I mean come on... Midtown Manhattan has multiple zip codes over 90,000 ppsm.

And considering it's not a very residential place at all speaks volumes. It's one of the least residentially-dense places in Manhattan (much lower than Manhattan as a whole) but has a RIDICULOUS employee per square mile ratio, at over 600,000.
That's a lot of people. In fact, the most in the entire world.
So yeah... comparing Brickell to Midtown Manhattan in any way, shape or form is just bizarre.

Last edited by Yac; 05-22-2024 at 04:29 AM..

Old 05-17-2024, 10:40 PM

Having 57,260 ppsm, albeit in one small ZIP code, is pretty impressive for such a relatively smaller city like Miami. I believe that you will see similar densities from Edgewater all the way to 36th St to South Brickell at around Rickenbacker Causeway. It would be great if the entire Miami skyline were to be extended to those limits, and then some!

Old 05-26-2024, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Having 57[URL="https://meufortunetiger.com.br/"],[/URL]260 ppsm, albeit in one small ZIP code, is pretty impressive for such a relatively smaller city like Miami. I believe that you will see similar densities from Edgewater all the way to 36th St to South Brickell at around Rickenbacker Causeway. It would be great if the entire Miami skyline were to be extended to those limits, and then some!

Miami's impressive density, especially in areas like the one ZIP code with 57,260 ppsm, could be seen across Edgewater to South Brickell. Extending the Miami skyline to these limits would create an even more vibrant and expansive urban landscape.

Old 05-28-2024, 09:51 AM

27,300 posts, read 44,293,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
There are a few Midtown Manhattan neighborhoods that aren't overtly dense. Hell's Kitchen, the Meatpacking District, SoHo, Nolita and West Village are examples.

Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM

1,991 posts, read 2,130,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
I saw a person take a sh*t on the subway in NY and sadly more than once! Never saw that here.
In my 47 years of living in NYC, I've never seen that once. But OK, with 3.2 million daily subway riders (like me) and 472 subway stations, it is possible. NYC is still safe and sane for an American mega-city, and you will cross hundreds of strangers each day on the sidewalk. Even then, overall, New Yorkers are more polite than Miamians. You can't be evicted from a NYC apartment because your landlord saw a piece of mail to you from a government unemployment office; you won't receive a rent hike after living just four months in your NYC apartment. That will happen in Miami.

Miami is a more mercenary place, with some unfortunate aspects of a corrupt Latin American city. This is the OP's overall point, I think. Your fine tech-bro salary insulates you from Miami's mercenary aspects, but others in Miami face great stress in their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami