Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 07:37 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,225,526 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else feel that different parts of the state should be treated differently?
Like maybe the UP needs social distancing, but only partial work shutdowns, jobs that are mostly solo can work, or something.
I feel like outside of the SE areas around Detroit the now former orders were working pretty well. To restrict picking up gardening supplies seems a bit much. Maybe make it pick up only but none?
And why can't people who ride a lawnmower by themselves all day work? (and other jobs where you are alone all day?)

I'm not a Whitmer hater and think she has been genuinely working the issues for the state. But I suddenly got the feeling listening to her yesterday that this has now turned a bit political and look at me for VP.
All politicians do this to an extent but its still upsetting.

And no talk about the way forward, just more hints about even more time extensions on restrictions.

We need a slow roll out. With no vaccine people are going to be exposed, its just needs to be in a stretched out time line so hospitals can manage it. Let some people go back to work. Let some non essential stores open. Keep social distancing. I saw one post of facebook where someone said their daughter who was a nurse got laid off because the hospital has cancelled all surgeries and appointments but apparently aren't overrun with virus patients. Don't know if that is true but it could be.

I called a few of my representatives. I post on Whitmer's fb page. Not sure how much our voices our weight have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 08:00 AM

610 posts, read 264,400 times
I'm good with the extension through 4/30 but after that the one size fits all method needs to be reevaluated. I agree with you completely regarding landscaping and other jobs that can be done alone or mostly alone. The issue is that from a medical perspective this will never be considered "under control" until there are NO cases, which is simply not realistic unless some sort of cure is developed. There has to be a balance between the medical and economic perspective on this.

Old 04-10-2020, 09:00 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,605,790 times
The issue is that no one knows who is or isn't infected since infected people can be asymptomatic. Without widespread testing, it's impossible to say what areas or jobs can be allowed to run without causing further widespread infections.

Landscaping is probably something that could be allowed, though for many companies, workers still travel in groups and to different areas even if the tasks they perform are solitary. They would be easy spreaders of the virus especially if any of the workers are asymptomatic. I imagine if landscaping is allowed, it'll be very limited like only 1 or 2 people can travel together at a time.

Old 04-10-2020, 09:31 AM

610 posts, read 264,400 times
Mandated wearing of masks/face coverings in public places would do a lot to curb the asymptomatic spread. Some other large cities have started requiring this. I'm sure some people would be opposed, but it sounds a lot more appealing to me then hiding in the house for the foreseeable future.

Old 04-10-2020, 09:38 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,943,933 times
Feel the same as the first two posts. We all knew this had to be extended longer and for good reason. It has to be done to control the outcomes. I'm starting to loose my mind now a month into this since literally every day feels the exact same to me.

I'm not sure there is going to be as much goodwill from the majority of people in the state to tolerate these more draconian measures much beyond 4/30 though.

I think Michigan has some of the strictest measures on a statewide-basis in the country currently.
My friends that live in Ohio, Indiana, Florida, and Colorado don't have many of the closures that we do here.

Old 04-10-2020, 04:08 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,495,207 times
Gardening is a food source. When I voted for Whitmer, I assumed nobody could be worse than religious lunatic Schuette, but she may prove me wrong.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:17 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,605,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI1287 View Post
Mandated wearing of masks/face coverings in public places would do a lot to curb the asymptomatic spread. Some other large cities have started requiring this. I'm sure some people would be opposed, but it sounds a lot more appealing to me then hiding in the house for the foreseeable future.
There's not really any data that supports or debunks that though. Mask usage may only cause a marginal difference if combined with social distancing and good hygiene, but mask usage alone doesn't determine how much the virus spreads.

The other issue with mandated masks is that less supply is available for hospitals which is where masks are most effective. At least in a hospital, it's a strictly controlled environment with many procedures and rules to prevent cross-contamination and virus spread. Mass public use doesn't have a guarantee that people will know how to wear and dispose of masks properly which undermines their potential effectiveness.

Either way, reducing contact between people is still the most effective way to limit the spread of the virus.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:40 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
The extension: May be good may be dumb, only time will tell. Many states and the country of Sweden are not locking people in, so fr, they seem to be doing better than Michigan. so far. None of hte government people have any idea what they are doing, but ours seems to be particularly stupid.

Playing tennis is OK, but playing golf is not.

You can fish from shore or in a kayak or canoe,but not in a power boat. You can even fish in rowboat as long as it does not have a motor.

You can buy paint at Ace hardware,but not at home depot.

You can buy liquor to while away your time, but not plants if gardening provides stress relief.

You can go shop at Meijers with 50 other people there, but you all have to stay concentrated in certain aisles, you cannot spread out into other departments. While you are there, you can buy beer, but not light bulbs.

You can go for a bike ride, a run, a skate board ride, but you cannot go for a drive.

Maybe that has changed, but you could build a road or a certain type of factory, but you cannot build a house or a school.

You cannot go to school, but apparently you also cannot complete school through online classes like other states are doing.

This, folks is what a repressive government looks like. 1984, Unrinetown all the fiction has come to life.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 04-11-2020 at 10:27 AM..

Old 04-11-2020, 11:36 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,943,933 times
Yep. Exactly. Unfortunately they had to create these ridiculous subset of rules to cater to the lowest common denominator crowd who can’t understand common sense. These are why we can’t have nice things and have had to shut down certain things irrationally because stupid morons can’t practice social distancing.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:18 PM

254 posts, read 146,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
Yep. Exactly. Unfortunately they had to create these ridiculous subset of rules to cater to the lowest common denominator crowd who can’t understand common sense. These are why we can’t have nice things and have had to shut down certain things irrationally because stupid morons can’t practice social distancing.
Oppressive measures are not needed, have a look around the world, or even within the country, plenty of places are doing far better with less oppressive measures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan