Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:23 PM

864 posts, read 1,719,920 times

Advertisements

Beautiful pics. I think even the winter pics of that area would look beautiful. I used to live in the Boyne City area which also has some beauty. The problem is that there are very few jobs in that area and what is there are paying 20%+ less than downstate jobs of the same type. Its harder to find the same natural beauty in the downstate metro areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 08:18 PM

334 posts, read 1,371,172 times
Nice thread!

Sleeping bear sand dunes, and a foggy Detroit shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of  Spectacular Michigan-sleeping-bear-dunes1.jpg   Pics of  Spectacular Michigan-sleeping-bear-dunes-2.jpg   Pics of  Spectacular Michigan-detroit-fog.jpg  

Old 05-20-2008, 08:30 PM

104 posts, read 417,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswee View Post
Here are a few more including some more fall colors for A2mich.

Entrance to Otter Creek on Good Harbor Bay

Little & Big Glen Lakes, Leelanau County

The obligatory Tahquamenon Falls shot
Thank you very much......those are gorgeous photos.....all of the photos posted here are the reason many(?) of us love Michigan. For all of the economic woes, the scenery helps ease some of the pains!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:18 PM

550 posts, read 2,051,930 times
these photos are ALL beautiful!!!!
thank you all for sharing and making me homesick

the picture of the lower falls is one of my favorite places to swim-all of the lower falls are great for swimming in

Old 05-21-2008, 08:58 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
It's about time people stop moaning and groaning. I've always felt like a lone goose in the wilderness when I've told people from east coast to west (and in Michigan itself) that Michigan's one of the most underrated and beautiful states in the country. They all think I'm crazy. Then I show them pictures like these and they're like, "Wow." I've been to a number of tropical islands and there are tons of places right here that, if you changed pine trees for coconut trees, would be hard to tell the difference (at least until you went in the water). Most people don't even realize you can't see across the Great Lakes.

I think building a national appreciation for the Great Lakes is going to be key when the South/Southwest starts eyeing those big basins to save them from their water crises.

Hopefully this new "Pure Michigan" campaign will help even Michiganians realize what a jewel of a state they have and work to protect it and all its unique coastal towns and such rather than plow strip mall after strip mall across the whole thing in the absurd name of "progress".

Jeeg - I was just out at that very beach near Marquette two days ago. Our's were the only footprints on the whole beach. The tides were crashing into each other in between Little Presque Isle and the beach. A week before that we had a bonfire on another wilderness beach - only people on that one too as the stars were in all their glory.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:58 AM

37 posts, read 178,030 times
I have some pics to share if I can get them to post. They should have discriptions with them if it works.

winter near the bridge

near the bridge

winter near the bridge

Northern michigan winter

Old 05-21-2008, 09:16 AM

37 posts, read 178,030 times
more pics

Near maple bay

eagle nest maple bay

view off robinson rd near Harbor springs and Good heart

another view off robinson rd

View near Wilderness state park

pellston July fourth temp45-50 degrees

the next pic is a deer near maple bay that will not make it till spring. We lost a lot of deer in the area this past winter.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:34 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Mmmm, MI is so beautiful. I cannot wait to visit again, it is definitely, IMO, the most underrated state in the nation. I could spend an eternity in the UP or along the west coast and never get bored. Truly beautiful! Keep the pics coming!!!!

Old 05-21-2008, 09:46 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Default jewel

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
It's about time people stop moaning and groaning. I've always felt like a lone goose in the wilderness when I've told people from east coast to west (and in Michigan itself) that Michigan's one of the most underrated and beautiful states in the country. They all think I'm crazy. Then I show them pictures like these and they're like, "Wow." I've been to a number of tropical islands and there are tons of places right here that, if you changed pine trees for coconut trees, would be hard to tell the difference (at least until you went in the water). Most people don't even realize you can't see across the Great Lakes.
Recognition is going to take some time. People here on the east coast they still think Detroit is Michigan and vice versa. Also all the grumblings transplants from Michigan to new states are not going to help either. But I think eventually the American people will rediscover Michigan and see the abundant opportunities if offers in capital ventures and in lifestyle.

Quote:
I think building a national appreciation for the Great Lakes is going to be key when the South/Southwest starts eyeing those big basins to save them from their water crises.
Well considering Canada own half the water I don't think any type of cockamamie scheme to redirect water will happen. In fact why move the water when it just easier to move the people. As far as I'm concern a lot of the speculation in the southwest is going to collapse into dust (literally) and people will start moving back north. Particularly in the Northeast and Upper Midwest. The Southwest and the basically the south in general can't continue to support the mass influx of people to those areas. Atlanta and SoCal are cases in point.

Quote:
Hopefully this new "Pure Michigan" campaign will help even Michiganians realize what a jewel of a state they have and work to protect it and all its unique coastal towns and such rather than plow strip mall after strip mall across the whole thing in the absurd name of "progress".
I hadn't hear of this. Is there a website? And yeah don't get to into make stripmalls. In my home state of MA. there's a nice mix of the Chain stores and Mom and Pops. stores. Michigan should aim for something like that. In fact in some of the more desirable towns they may have major supermarket but everything else is small time. It really does add to the charm of a town to have small independent businesses. Granted it does make stuff a bit more expensive.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:18 AM

485 posts, read 966,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
It is sad that most people who have never been to Michigan, automatically think of Detroit, or heavy industry when the state is mentioned. There is SO much more to enjoy, no wonder every minute I lived away from the state I was dreaming of the day I could replant myself along the west coast, never to be uprooted and move away again.
I have mixed feelings on people's perception of Michigan. For selfish reasons, I'd like to keep it "pure" and un-crowded. Of course, for economic reasons, we have to get people to invest in and spend money in the state. There's got to be a balance. I guess there will always be places in Michigan to "get away from it all" no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan