Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 06:30 PM

195 posts, read 973,435 times

Advertisements

Sorry i apologize for this repetitive stupidity on my part. :-(

*but hey, at least it reinforces the message.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:39 PM

178 posts, read 702,222 times
Michigan is ugly about 8 months of the year. This is in part due to so many leaf-trees being around (which resemble spiky growths in the winter when the leaves go away) and Michigan's unsually large percentage of cloudy/overcast days, even in the summer.

Urban areas will always be ugly to some extent - because duh, they're urban areas. But Michigan's scenic value does nothing for me and I've lived here for decades. I don't own a house on beachfront property and I don't have the luxury of going sailing, golfing or driving all over the state when there is a sunny day (usually Michigan's sunniest/warmest days seem to fall during the work week...why, I have no clue...but pay attention and you'll notice this pattern).

Snow looks pretty for a couple weeks (usually leading up to the holidays to get people in the mood for Christmas) but you're lying to yourself if you honestly believe you like freezing, horrible-weather-for-driving, dark and gloomy conditions after that for the next 3-4 months straight.

There are better places to be in the US and coupled with Michigan's craptastic economy, MI's "scenic" value drops even further.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:49 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,959,670 times
Until I started travelling throughout the United States I never thought much of michigan.. I grew up here all my life and didn't really know much more. After being through most of the midwestern and some western states I have come to realize Michigan is probably one of the nicer states in the US. I'd take the warm coastal cities (as long as they are large and busy) over Michigan.. but i don't think I'd move anywhere else besides Miami, LA or San Diego.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,767,958 times
It's not ugly and dreary on a sunny summer day, and it's not ugly and dreary when the snow sparkles like crystals on a quiet winter night. It's not ugly and dreary when the snow thaws in the spring, or when the autumn colors their brightest.

Michigan isn't for everyone though because not everyone enjoys the cold weather or many rainy days. Everyone shouldn't live there, but that's why there are other places for them. Someone who likes living by the ocean should do that, if they want mostly sun and warm days, Michigan isn't the right place.

Anyone thinking of moving there should consider how they will like days and days of cloud-cover, and gray skies and slush, feet that stay cold from October unti May Some people will not have a problem with that or they even enjoy a long winter.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:40 AM

749 posts, read 2,773,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmi View Post
Michigan is ugly about 8 months of the year. This is in part due to so many leaf-trees being around (which resemble spiky growths in the winter when the leaves go away) and Michigan's unsually large percentage of cloudy/overcast days, even in the summer.

Urban areas will always be ugly to some extent - because duh, they're urban areas. But Michigan's scenic value does nothing for me and I've lived here for decades. I don't own a house on beachfront property and I don't have the luxury of going sailing, golfing or driving all over the state when there is a sunny day (usually Michigan's sunniest/warmest days seem to fall during the work week...why, I have no clue...but pay attention and you'll notice this pattern).

Snow looks pretty for a couple weeks (usually leading up to the holidays to get people in the mood for Christmas) but you're lying to yourself if you honestly believe you like freezing, horrible-weather-for-driving, dark and gloomy conditions after that for the next 3-4 months straight.

There are better places to be in the US and coupled with Michigan's craptastic economy, MI's "scenic" value drops even further.

How the hell do you know what kind of weather I perfer? How dare you say I am *lying* to myself? I love winter and all the sports and I even like to shovel and run the snowblower. If you dont like it fine.....stop knocking it for the rest of us who do, and there are plenty!

Old 05-23-2008, 07:37 AM

51 posts, read 213,145 times
Heck no, it's not! It's lush and beautiful.
We chose to move to Michigan over everywhere else in the U.S. and we couldn't be happier.
I'm a Chicago native but no way would I want to move back there. I just wanted to be back at the lake and when we explored the west coast of MI, we fell in love with it.
btw, we can walk to the beach but, unbelievably, we paid the median price in Holland for our home (on the market for 2 days).

Old 05-23-2008, 08:02 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,719,019 times
I just caught a rerun of an old American Idol where they held auditions in Detroit. The whole time they were ragging on Detroit having no talent. Just before that they were in Miami, where they didn't make any such disparaging comments. In the end, Miami sent 20 people to the next round. Detroit sent 22.

To me, that summarizes it. Michigan / Detroit fills a niche of industrial waste in the national story. Places like Miami and LA (with almost the same poverty rates and far worse problems) fill different niches and therefore are praised. I had to explain to people at a wedding in suburban New Jersey that the developed suburban parts of Michigan look no different than where we were celebrating the wedding. They were surprised.

The previous poster who was talking about the provincial, xenophobic culture is not completely off base, though. I look at, for example, the Pacific Northwest, and I see a culture of people living in mostly dreary weather who have truly balanced economic vitality with respect for nature. It is a much more enlightened, educated culture (yes, education matters when talking overall demographics because it teaches people how to think abstractly) that focuses on the bigger picture. The natural world is very much a part of their every day lives.

Here in Michigan, being peninsulas, most people see the Toledo-Detroit stretch or the I-94 corridor as their entrees to the state. Not exactly inspiring. But, Michigan makes you work to find it. That's what I like about it. It isn't a pass through state, which might be a big reason for its national perception. I show pictures to friends and they are blown away.

Michiganians still want to scream their snowmobiles anywhere they choose because it's their "right" or "freedom". They still want to build their big homes anywhere they want and expect government to build services out to meet their desires.

In this sense Michigan is an ugly, dreary place. It does not have the vitality of progressive culture and innovation like similar places such as Colorado, Washington, or Minnesota. People have grown used to being taken care of by once stable industries or government hand outs. Here in the U.P., seasonal unemployment payments are part of one's anticipated income. Trade workers don't even look for work in the winter.

In all honesty, it's hard to be open-minded here. While there are many exceptions, you're definitely in the minority from downstate to up north.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:20 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,458,432 times
I'm a weather fanatic, and one of the best things about Michigan is the smorgasbord of weather. You get it all........snow, rain, wind, t-storms, sunny days, grey days, foggy days, cold days, hot days......you get the picture.

I love being able to experience all of these things in one place. The weather in a town like San Diego would bore me to death.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:30 AM

749 posts, read 2,773,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
I'm a weather fanatic, and one of the best things about Michigan is the smorgasbord of weather. You get it all........snow, rain, wind, t-storms, sunny days, grey days, foggy days, cold days, hot days......you get the picture.

I love being able to experience all of these things in one place. The weather in a town like San Diego would bore me to death.

Same here! We have it all and are very lucky to be able to enjoy it~!

Old 05-23-2008, 11:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,906,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Until I started travelling throughout the United States I never thought much of michigan.. I grew up here all my life and didn't really know much more. After being through most of the midwestern and some western states I have come to realize Michigan is probably one of the nicer states in the US. I'd take the warm coastal cities (as long as they are large and busy) over Michigan.. but i don't think I'd move anywhere else besides Miami, LA or San Diego.
DON'T! LA is awful. Orange COunty and San Diego are pretty nice though (but really really crowded with all of the issues thatt go with crowded). Both are great places for 20-30 Y.O.s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan