Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 06:59 AM

250 posts, read 932,791 times

Advertisements

I started to realize about 15 years ago, that people viewed Michigan as a "Backwards, Hillbilly place." This realization hit when I was watching the tonight show; Jay Leno was interviewing Tim Allen (who was born and raised in Michigan). And Jay Leno began the interview something like this: So Tim, you live in Michigan? Do they even have running water yet?!" Tim laughs, the audience laughs and that was that. But it really struck me odd that Jay would ask a question like that.

And it seems some of the posts here on CD confirm these beliefs. But these posts go further to say that MI is a cold, dreary, ugly, flat-land, pile of nothing state! I am in shock to hear the number of people who also say that there is nothing to do here!

I would love to know the percentage of people who actually have been here and can still say that it's "dreary and cold 24/7."

Now I know the economy isn't the best right now and that is not what I am referring to (so
please no posts about: I hate Michigan because there are not jobs.. I think we've all have enough of that!) But have you ever seen the white sandy beaches in MI, or been to Mackinaw Island? Or Traverse City or the U.P. or anywhere in Detroit? There is a lot more to do here than that. If i knew how to post pictures, I would, so feel free to do so if you want!

Also I believe that MI truly gets a taste of all 4 seasons. Our summers are hot(IMHO) topping out at 95 degrees on many days in August. I love fall; the apple-picking, the pumpkin carving, the hiking,etc. And winter may start in November, but we don't ever really have a good snowfall until January.

But my favorite thing about MI is what a good place it is to raise a family, the great school systems, the focus on the family and the smell of a cool fall morning while sitting on the porch sipping a piping hot cup of coffee!

Old 05-22-2008, 07:05 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Good post. There is a thread with MI pics posted here. It is beautiful!

Old 05-22-2008, 07:10 AM

I did see that thread, that's what inspired me to write this one... among other things!

Old 05-22-2008, 07:15 AM

45 posts, read 275,906 times
MI is beautiful, the people for the most part are not. Way too many xenophobic, provincial, ignorant people here. For every progressive person that moves here, ten locals of this ilk move away to the Coasts or Chicago, leaving a growing ignoramus population. I think that's what Leno was playing at. Doesn't matter whether they're black, white, democrat, republican here in MI. You get both the I've-read-Adam-Smith-so-I-think-I'll-make-an-ass-of-myself-by-being-an-arrogant-know-it-all-Republihick and the foreigners-are-stealing-our-$80/hour-janitorial-jobs-so-vote-for-Hilary-even-though-I'm-too-dumb-to-realize-Bill-passsed-NAFTA-demohick.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:40 AM

that's an interesting perspective, not one that I've experienced though. Most of the people I know are open-mined, loving of their fellow man (whether gay, straight, white, black, etc.) well-educated,hard-working and NOT materialistic. But I also believe that there are miserable, grumpy people wherever you go, not just in Michigan. Also, life is what you make of it. If you tend to be a grumpy person, you will attract grumpy, negative people. On the other hand, if you are friendly and positive, you will attract friendly, positive people!

Old 05-22-2008, 08:02 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
I think MI looks hideous to people who only have a mental picture of sooty old downtown Detroit. That whole chunk of the state could use a serious visual overhaul. But other areas -- wow! Standing on the tip of the UP looking across lake Superior to Canada is incredible. Kicking back on the state's West Coast beaches -- ahhhh. Hiking through the woods anywhere north of, say, Alma -- beautiful!

The people here vary, like people anywhere. A lot of them are more demoralized than usual right now, for good reasons. But I think Leno was commenting on Tim Allen's TV persona, not Michigan itself. I daresay he's never set foot here, and if he did he probably just had a layover at Metro Airport, which is not going to fill anyone with wonder.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:02 AM

334 posts, read 1,371,172 times
Usually people from big cities on the east and west coast, think their better, that's old news.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:05 AM

334 posts, read 1,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
that's an interesting perspective, not one that I've experienced though. Most of the people I know are open-mined, loving of their fellow man (whether gay, straight, white, black, etc.) well-educated,hard-working and NOT materialistic. But I also believe that there are miserable, grumpy people wherever you go, not just in Michigan. Also, life is what you make of it. If you tend to be a grumpy person, you will attract grumpy, negative people. On the other hand, if you are friendly and positive, you will attract friendly, positive people!
What's education have to do with the people? There's a lot of idiots out there that have degrees, I think we've all seen that at some point in our life.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:10 AM

749 posts, read 2,771,034 times
I dont care what other people think. I think Michigan is the most wonderful place on Earth. I feel truely blessed and lucky to live here and I will never leave

Old 05-22-2008, 08:43 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Agree with the poster who said a lot of people not in the know think of Michigan as just Detroit.

I have friends from Texas that did that rap for years until they finally came up here, and they were blown away. They're very wealthy, and are coming back up here this year when they could easily go anywhere else they desire.

I think that speaks volumes about our wonderful and beautiful state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan