Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:45 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,175,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
This was a bill for $1100. That did not happen just this winter.

Are you serious?? My friend's elderly mother lives in a frame 2 story older single family home in Baltimore County. Her utility bill for one month is over $1,100. I'm in a much smaller, newer townhouse, but even so my last bill was over $400. Are Michigan utilities that much lower than here?

I think the utility company should have to make personal contact with the occupants of the house before limiting or shutting off electricity just for this reason. If they find an elderly person, or a family with children, or someone with health issues that needs the use of electricity for medical equipment, they should have to report it to local authorities before taking any action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 10:49 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,433,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Are you serious?? My friend's elderly mother lives in a frame 2 story older single family home in Baltimore County. Her utility bill for one month is over $1,100. I'm in a much smaller, newer townhouse, but even so my last bill was over $400. Are Michigan utilities that much lower than here?
How were you billed?? In this man's case it was lights, water and sewer. My light bill is about $75. It is my water, as I have a well, and most of my heat because I use GEO, with propane back up.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:51 AM

293 posts, read 851,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
No they're not, at least not in my part of the state (the same area where Mr. Schur lived). My average bill in winter is about $350, and that's keeping my house at 68 during the day and 60 at night, which is colder than I find comfortable. Friends who own older houses with poorer insulation and/or keep their houses warmer often have bills over $500.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer74 View Post
No they're not, at least not in my part of the state (the same area where Mr. Schur lived). My average bill in winter is about $350, and that's keeping my house at 68 during the day and 60 at night, which is colder than I find comfortable. Friends who own older houses with poorer insulation and/or keep their houses warmer often have bills over $500.
Is that gas too???

Old 01-28-2009, 10:57 AM

Yes, the bill is for both gas and electric, but I have gas heat.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Yes, the bill is for both gas and electric, but I have gas heat.
The man who got his electric turned off was was billed for electric, water and sewer.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:01 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,544,647 times
I was sad to hear this. We live in North Carolina now and I think this man lived in Bay City, Mi. Anyway I don't care if it was his fault or what, in these times there should be a law that states NO ONE should get shut off in the winter. My two 6 year olds were really touched when they heard this. One sad that is really sad. They are going to write a letter to President Obama because they think this is sad.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The man who got his electric turned off was was billed for electric, water and sewer.
Which makes all the more sense that his bill could be over $1100 and that it might not have been more than a couple months past due - my water and sewer bill adds an additional $70 a month to my utility cost.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Which makes all the more sense that his bill could be over $1100 and that it might not have been more than a couple months past due - my water and sewer bill adds an additional $70 a month to my utility cost.
I am hearing four months most places. I am glad I live in the sticks.....

Old 01-28-2009, 11:22 AM

32,629 posts, read 77,807,982 times
I'm sorry, but even though I am generally a compassionate human being I must side with driller here. The utility companies sell commodities to households and businesses. If those aforementioned parties refuse to and/or are unable to pay their bills, then, as in ANY sort of business, services will be denied until they receive what is rightfully due to them. I am heartbroken that this elderly man let conditions get so badly, more than likely because he was too "proud" to go next-door, knock on the door, and ask to sleep on a cot until the cold snap passed.

If I had him as a neighbor, I would have most certainly checked in on him now more than ever. In the early-2000s our next-door neighbor, an elderly man who lived alone, suffered a medical condition and collapsed in his bathroom, striking his head in the process. The man lied on the floor semi-conscious for a few days, soiling himself, and probably reflecting upon his life before passing away when a relative finally came to check on him days later. Now I'm more committed towards checking in on those who may have nowhere else to turn.

Nevertheless I'm siding with the utility company here. They're not in business to lose money. I plan to open up a retail operation myself someday in my hometown of Scranton, Pennsylvania. If one of my customers doesn't pay their bill, then their item will be repossessed. End of discussion. There's too many "bleeding hearts" out there nowadays. The man lived in BAY CITY, which, the last time I checked, is an urban area. Nothing stopped him from going next-door or across the street, pleading his case, and being welcomed in until he could get his financial affairs in order or until the cold snap ebbed. Nothing stopped his neighbors from calling him once per day for a few minutes to ask him how his day was going---at which point hearing chattering teeth (or no response) on the other end should have been reason for alarm.

You know, I voted for President Obama, and I also happen to be a social liberal. Regardless though some of you who are vilifying this utility company for not being "neighborly" enough really need to examine society---not this business. There were probably several families on his own block that would have welcomed him over to save his life if he had just not been too "proud" and "stubborn" to ask for help and if those families hadn't been so self-absorbed to have never checked in on him. How is that the utility's fault? Give me a break!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan