Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 10:04 AM

485 posts, read 967,859 times

Advertisements

We were in the Smoky Mtns. for a week at the beginning of April. While the "mountains" there are a bit taller and the streams rush a little faster, I couldn't help but think that I still love Michigan. Some of that comes from the fact that I was born and raised (and still live) here of course so I'm biased, however, there's something about the water I guess that "wins out" in comparison with other states.

My favorites are:

Lake Superior (esp. Copper Harbor area)
The plethora of beautiful golf courses
Variety of great streams/rivers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 10:12 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,974,840 times
movingfromil:

If you don't already know, the Cherry Festival is scheduled for July 7-14 this year and in 2008 will be July 5-12.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:10 PM

6 posts, read 22,136 times
Default The people

I dont know what it is, but I sincerely love the people of Michigan. Hard working, fun, smart, ingenious, industrious... I could go on. It makes me proud to say I'm from here, because of the things the people have done here.

Being positive is a great thing, this thread is wonderful.

I also love -

Jumping off the sail boat in the middle of Lake Huron
Swimming, swimming, and swimming
Lions, Tigers, and Wings
The limited number of dangerous critters/bugs

MOD CUT--ADVERTISING]

Last edited by jeffncandace; 07-24-2007 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: ADVERTISING

Old 04-27-2007, 12:51 PM

49 posts, read 185,994 times
Thank you I know. This will be the first year in I don't know how long that we will miss it. But my husband is from TC so we will be back! We are going camping up there for Memorial Weekend.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:39 PM

146 posts, read 641,516 times
Default Bzzzzzzzzap!

That is so funny Bones20 that you mention the Critters/Bugs.
I love not having to worry about poisonous snakes, scorpions
or spiders. In Tucson I was constantly checking my shoes before I put them
on, my bed at night and my lawn chairs.
With exception to Lyme disease, Michigan is pretty much worry free in that regard. Not to mention natural disasters. (Rare tornado excluded)
Good job guys, Love this thread!

Old 04-27-2007, 04:01 PM

800 posts, read 4,301,634 times
I almost forgot about the cherries! OMG! Thanks for that reminder!!! Michigan cherries are the best!

Also, the waterfalls in the Upper Peninsula. I can't spell that one that starts with the letter 'T' Sorry, not a very good speller...lol.

I also forgot to mention the downtown Plymouth Ice Sculpture festival...It rocks!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-30-2007, 10:08 AM

954 posts, read 4,380,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromil View Post
My husband and I grew up in Michigan and moved away in 2002. We still come back so many times a year to experience what we left behind. We are now in the process of moving to NC and we will be too far away to visit as much as we would like and that is making me very sad. This post has brought back some good memories. Here are my Michigan favorites:
The Cherry Festival in Traverse City
The wineries on the penisula's
Camping with my family every year at Holland State Park
The Tulip Festival in Holland
Snowmobiling in the UP
Biking Mackinaw Island
The fall colors and the crisp, fall air
College Football games at MSU and UofM
Cherry Republic
Sleeping Bear Dunes and Bar Lake
The International Freedom Festival Fireworks (The best I have ever seen and I have been all over)
The Auto Show
Tiger games at Comerica Park
NICE POST

I too grew up in MI, but ended up living in NC for 12 years. I hope you like NC better than I did. I grew up in suburban Detroit, and just was never a country boy.
Good luck with your move to NC. PM if you have any specific questions.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:28 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,206,575 times
Well we just moved to Michigan in July of 2006 from Southern California. Before everyone bombs me with the same question (Why did you move to MICHIGAN?), I'll just say that long story short both my parent's and my wife's ended up here, so we moved to be near family.
That being said, we LOVE it here. Believe me Michiganders, California is NOT everything you see on "The O.C.", or any of those so-called "reality" shows. A small percentage live like you see on TV. The rest of us struggle to pay high rent to live in half way decent neighborhoods, pay through the nose for gasoline, and either send kids to crappy public schools or pay through the nose for private. It's crowded and the air is smoggy.
Racial and economic problems aside, I have to say in all honesty that we love it here. Michigan schools outstrip California schools BY FAR, as does the public health care system here. (Go to the ER in Cali and unless your literally dying your looking at a 5-6 hour wait.) This place is MUCH more family friendly. We love the greenery, the clean air, the plethora of lakes and rivers...also all of the quaint little downtowns, the parks...when we got here we kept saying it's like we walked into a Norman Rockwell painting!
All this being said, I haven't experienced much in less than a year, but here's a list of what I have seen and like...
1. Royal Oak, where we just moved. Love the vibe of this place...
2. Birmingham, snobby but still find it to be a great place to walk around.
3. The neighborhoods in the above mentioned towns, and also in Bloomfield Hills...the wife and I love to drive around and just look at the houses
4. Driving along Jefferson/Lakeshore through the Points...
5. Great Lakes Crossing, great for the kids...
6. The Danish Festival in Greenville, MI where my parents live...
7. Downtown Clarkston where we just moved from, cute town...
8. A real Buffalo BBQ at the West Forrest Methodist Church, east of Flint, out in the country...we loved it!
And more to come I'm sure....

Old 04-30-2007, 12:54 PM

146 posts, read 641,516 times
Great post Jeffncandace, and ohhhhh so true on the Cali front.
You get special kudo's for mentioning the Danish festival which I
go to every year to honor my heritage! Jensen's/Jorgensen's/Petersen's
UNITE!
What you and Candance need to do now is venture over to Lake Michigan
by way of Grand Rapids and see how we do over here!
I also recommend a trip up to wine country in the summer (Leelanau/Traverse/Charlevoix).
No need to apologize for liking Michigan, I love it here!
P.S. I used to love Laguna sooooo much and now its just another uppity Newport. BOOOOOO!
Oh well, Welcome to Michigan!!

Old 04-30-2007, 01:34 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,206,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbit View Post
Great post Jeffncandace, and ohhhhh so true on the Cali front.
You get special kudo's for mentioning the Danish festival which I
go to every year to honor my heritage! Jensen's/Jorgensen's/Petersen's
UNITE!
What you and Candance need to do now is venture over to Lake Michigan
by way of Grand Rapids and see how we do over here!
I also recommend a trip up to wine country in the summer (Leelanau/Traverse/Charlevoix).
No need to apologize for liking Michigan, I love it here!
P.S. I used to love Laguna sooooo much and now its just another uppity Newport. BOOOOOO!
Oh well, Welcome to Michigan!!
Thanks! We do plan on spending some more time in the GR and Lake Mich area this summer. I like Grand Rapids in that it's just big enough to have what you need, but doesn't have quite the probs that Detroit has...
We hope to head "up north" this summer too. And we LOVE the autumn here. (Fall doesn't exist in Cali).
Also, I forgot to mention that I also appreciate the lack of poisenous critters and bugs here. I have lived in TX, OK and CA and MI is the 1st place I have lived where you don't have to worry about that!
P.S. Youre right...Laguna is only good if your a millionaire!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan