Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:19 AM

954 posts, read 4,379,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Well we just moved to Michigan in July of 2006 from Southern California. Before everyone bombs me with the same question (Why did you move to MICHIGAN?), I'll just say that long story short both my parent's and my wife's ended up here, so we moved to be near family.
That being said, we LOVE it here. Believe me Michiganders, California is NOT everything you see on "The O.C.", or any of those so-called "reality" shows. A small percentage live like you see on TV. The rest of us struggle to pay high rent to live in half way decent neighborhoods, pay through the nose for gasoline, and either send kids to crappy public schools or pay through the nose for private. It's crowded and the air is smoggy.
Racial and economic problems aside, I have to say in all honesty that we love it here. Michigan schools outstrip California schools BY FAR, as does the public health care system here. (Go to the ER in Cali and unless your literally dying your looking at a 5-6 hour wait.) This place is MUCH more family friendly. We love the greenery, the clean air, the plethora of lakes and rivers...also all of the quaint little downtowns, the parks...when we got here we kept saying it's like we walked into a Norman Rockwell painting!
All this being said, I haven't experienced much in less than a year, but here's a list of what I have seen and like...
1. Royal Oak, where we just moved. Love the vibe of this place...
2. Birmingham, snobby but still find it to be a great place to walk around.
3. The neighborhoods in the above mentioned towns, and also in Bloomfield Hills...the wife and I love to drive around and just look at the houses
4. Driving along Jefferson/Lakeshore through the Points...
5. Great Lakes Crossing, great for the kids...
6. The Danish Festival in Greenville, MI where my parents live...
7. Downtown Clarkston where we just moved from, cute town...
8. A real Buffalo BBQ at the West Forrest Methodist Church, east of Flint, out in the country...we loved it!
And more to come I'm sure....
VERY INTERESTING
I grew up in Michigan, but haven't lived there for many years. But, my sister lives in San Fernando Valley, Northridge, and begs us to move out there all the time. My wife hates the traffic in LA, so at times we have considered Ventura County. But, we have been in NYC for almost 8 years and actually love it here. Our only complaints here are that from the middle of Jan thru March the winter gets a little tiring (but it isn't as cloudy as MI). At times the commute into Manhattan to work is a bit exhausting (for me 45 min door to door). Other than that, we love the vibe of the city.
As far as Michigan. I still have a sister and her family there. They moved from Wayne/Westland area to Farmington Hills about 5 years ago. They really love it on the North side. We try to get back up there as often as we can. You should add FRANKENMUTH to your list of places to check out. It is really a blast and some of the best food on the planet (Zenders).
The last time we considered moving back to Michigan, Royal Oak was on our short list of places to live. My wife actually got a job at Beaumont Hospital, but at the same time got a job at a hospital in Manhattan (with housing). So, we figured that it would be our only chance to live in NYC and just went for it. Glad we did.
Also make sure to visit the sleeping bear dunes and the Tulip Festival in Holland Mi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 08:25 AM

36 posts, read 175,021 times
1.Kayaking on a foggy morning when the water is like a mirror.
2.Isle Royale Park when the wildflowers are in bloom.
3.Driving the back roads watching the wildlife wander.
4.The smell of the pines in the early morning.
5.Looking at the stars on a crystal clear night.
6.Snowshoeing through the woods at night during a full moon.
7.Listening to the call of the loon on a quiet lake.
8.Catching a nice Walleye, and then having it for shore lunch.
9.Driving the rocky coast from Eagle River to Copper Harbor on 26.
10.Watching the awesome beauty of a November storm on Lake Superior.
11.Float trips down the Ausable river.
These are just a scant few of the things that I love about this state. There are so many more, too many to mention. I also love the small towns, and the people that live here. If these are the things you like, then this is the place for you.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:45 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,204,262 times
Talking Interesting Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
VERY INTERESTING
I grew up in Michigan, but haven't lived there for many years. But, my sister lives in San Fernando Valley, Northridge, and begs us to move out there all the time. My wife hates the traffic in LA, so at times we have considered Ventura County. But, we have been in NYC for almost 8 years and actually love it here. Our only complaints here are that from the middle of Jan thru March the winter gets a little tiring (but it isn't as cloudy as MI). At times the commute into Manhattan to work is a bit exhausting (for me 45 min door to door). Other than that, we love the vibe of the city.
As far as Michigan. I still have a sister and her family there. They moved from Wayne/Westland area to Farmington Hills about 5 years ago. They really love it on the North side. We try to get back up there as often as we can. You should add FRANKENMUTH to your list of places to check out. It is really a blast and some of the best food on the planet (Zenders).
The last time we considered moving back to Michigan, Royal Oak was on our short list of places to live. My wife actually got a job at Beaumont Hospital, but at the same time got a job at a hospital in Manhattan (with housing). So, we figured that it would be our only chance to live in NYC and just went for it. Glad we did.
Also make sure to visit the sleeping bear dunes and the Tulip Festival in Holland Mi.
Well I'm a bit jealous because I have always DREAMED of living in NYC...I know it won't happen and I'm over it. Good for you though!
Yeah my parents have told us about Frankenmuth and we plan on heading up there.
My advise is to stick to NYC and avoid overpriced and overcrowded L.A. Don't get me wrong, So Cal has it's charms...I do miss the mountains and the ocean. And nothing beats a Cali sunset...but in the end it's just so damn crowded and expensive. I know NYC is too, but from what I understand, it beats L.A. hands down any day.
Anywho, back to Michigan...like I said we do love it here. It has it's problems like anywhere else, but we LOVE the vibe here in Royal Oak. It reminds us of some parts of San Diego that we loved (but couldn't afford).

Old 05-01-2007, 10:54 AM

485 posts, read 967,261 times
Default Full Moons and rocky coasts

Ah yes, tym2retyr, I echo the winter full moons and the rocky coasts of M-26. Many moons ago I, with some friends, took a trip to near Atlanta, Mich. and we cross-country skied a trail starting at 10pm in 10 degree weather under a full moon. The temp eventually dropped to zero by the time we were done at 1am but I never felt "warmer". Probably the most awesome outdoor experience I've ever had.

M-26 is probably the coolest stretch of road in the State.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 9,956 times
I was raised in Michigan and moved to Indiana in 1984. I will list the things I miss about Michigan. Hopefully they are still around.

1. The SInging Fountain in Grand Haven
2. The Fish Ladder in Grand Rapids
3. Motor CIty Roller Rink (9 Mile and Vandyke) sad to say it is now a Burger KIng.
4. Gun Lake State Park
5. Holland State Park.
6. Macinaw Island
7. Elias Bros
8. Towne Club (I think it's gone too)
9. Vernors
10. Hudsons (Gone as well)
11. The Thanksgiving Day Parade
12. Boblo Island (still there?)
13. Detroit Zoo
14. Belle Isle (especially the frozed fountain in winter)
15. Jefferson Blvd from St Clair SHores to downtown Detroit
16. Driving to Canada for lunch
17. All the trees and lakes (we have resevoirs in Indiana)

I have probably missed a bunch that I will think of later.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:38 AM

954 posts, read 4,379,610 times
Something I forgot earlier.
The egg rolls in the Detroit area are different that anywhere I have ever been. Rather than just cabbage, they use bean sprouts, etc. I have tried egg rolls all over the South, North East and California. Never found any that really compare to the ones in Detroit.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:53 PM

146 posts, read 641,326 times
What's my favorite thing about Michigan?
Having positive, forward looking people like Jeffncandace moving in
to replace the bog monsters moving out.
We're on our way!

Last edited by Wabbit; 05-10-2007 at 07:21 PM..

Old 05-11-2007, 06:43 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,204,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbit View Post
What's my favorite thing about Michigan?
Having positive, forward looking people like Jeffncandace moving in
to replace the bog monsters moving out.
We're on our way!
Thanks Wabbit! I just saw that post and thought, "Come on! ONE freaking blog that's positive and you feel the need to crap all over that too!" LOL

Old 05-21-2007, 10:52 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,539,271 times
My favorite thing about Michigan......

1. The seclusion of Elberta Beach.
2. The fried perch dinner at The Big Apple in Arcadia.
3. All things Frankfort.
4. Low or no humidity.
5. If it hits 80 degrees inland, you can instantly cool off in the 60's in Petosky.
6. Bayview Federal campground outside Paradise.
7. Grand Haven...it just doesn't get any better than Grand Haven.
8. Bayview and Grandhaven State Park....camping on the beach.
9. I love that the Benzie-Beulah area hasn't changed in 50+ years.

10. I love that people who have never been to Michigan, don't know what they are missing

Old 05-22-2007, 07:57 AM

504 posts, read 2,177,218 times
Default good vibes

We're new to Michigan too, and have also been asked over and over again why we moved here from Oregon.

1. The schools are great here. If you don't belive me, ask anyone from the South(where I was born and raised), or the West Coast.

2. The low cost of houses. I can finally afford to be a stay at home mom because we don't need 2 jobs just to pay the mortgage.

3. Snow! Everyone in Oregon told me the winters would be misserable here, but I loved it! It was so much better than I thought it'd be. What do they know?

4. The medical system here if phenominal. Yes, phenominal. It costs so little to go to the doctor here, and we don't have to wait weeks or months (yes, months) to see one.

5. Lakes. Need I say more... One thing about mountains is that there are no lakes. All water rushes downhill. Also, there are no mountains here to block the amazing sunrises and sunsets I've been blown away by here.

6. Family is important here. Out West retirees are coming by the droves, and no one wants to support kids or families. There are so many free or low cost things for kids to do here. It's great!

7. Water. I am so glad to be where it rains again, and where you don't have to irrigate. I'll take humidity over bone dry anyday.

8. Deciduous forests. This fall was so incredible I almost drove my car off the road several times, looking at the fall colors. It's incredible how fast things grow now that it's spring. I love the new experience from the all green tinder dry Western forest to the maple, oak, birch, etc etc forests. The Northwoods are incredible. I agree that Michiganders know how to appreciate their short summers!!

9. Loons. We have a pair that flies over our house each day. In 5 minutes we can walk to the lake it nests on. Pretty cool! I can't wait to see fireflies too.

10. Northern Lights. I got to see them for the first time in my life this winter. It alone made the move worthwhile. Truly a very moving experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan