Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:08 PM

809 posts, read 1,951,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
It actually is a very nice Meijers. Supposedly, it's the only one with its layout. It's also the smallest Meijers. It also lacks the Bavarian design. I guess they gave up.
It really is nice. I bought a portable blind for this year's season at a low price. Great deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 09:21 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,277,563 times
I just looked up the story and read it. See I feel it is wrong to even try to compare Gaylord to Harper Woods or any other city down state. Well at least in this case. See the old man and woman were threatened at knife point and tied up with duct tape. Had this happened in Harper Woods or a surrounding city the following would have happened.

The old woman would have been tied up robbed and raped. ( because people are sick)

The Old man would have bee beaten and then stabbed.

Then they would have been robbed and left as they are or maybe had their house set fire too.

Oh and also they would not have caught the criminals.

I'm not knocking Harper Woods but I find it very hard to believe this is a common thing in Gaylord.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:08 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,005,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I just looked up the story and read it. See I feel it is wrong to even try to compare Gaylord to Harper Woods or any other city down state. Well at least in this case. See the old man and woman were threatened at knife point and tied up with duct tape. Had this happened in Harper Woods or a surrounding city the following would have happened.

The old woman would have been tied up robbed and raped. ( because people are sick)

The Old man would have bee beaten and then stabbed.

Then they would have been robbed and left as they are or maybe had their house set fire too.

Oh and also they would not have caught the criminals.

I'm not knocking Harper Woods but I find it very hard to believe this is a common thing in Gaylord.
In 2007 Gaylord had 6 rapes Harper Woods 9. Harper Woods is much larger so Gaylord has a much higher rate in rapes. Each city had 1 murder, so again Gaylord has a much higher rate. Assaults are much higher in Harper Woods so probably the robbed couple would've got slapped around a little.

Now you'll probably say burglaries aren't common in Gaylord. Well up through 2006, Gaylord had double the amount the burglaries of Harper Woods. Oh, and about your arson, Gaylord 1 arson Harper Woods 3. I'll call it a draw.

Lets go across the street to Eastpointe. I think everyone would agree how horrible Eastpointe is. Eastpointe's total crime is lower than Gaylord's yet everyone on here says how bad Eastpointe is.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:31 PM

199 posts, read 543,384 times
I've never been to Harper Woods so I can't say much about it. I would be willing to bet that more people have heard of Gaylord and like it better then Harper Woods. In college I heard praise of Gaylord all the time. People from the Detroit area always claim they are from Detroit since most suburbs down there are so generic and boring that they are probably too embarrassed to mention them by name.

I grew up in Gaylord and I don't think it's that dangerous. We have had no drive-by shootings or any drug related shootings period. The only time I felt threatened or in danger was at field parties with crazy rednecks.

Rape and Pedos are everywhere, you can't escape it. Plus it's hard to rate because many people don't report it because of the shame and embarrassment.

Quote:
I just don't understand the infatuation with northern Michigan. The people aren't friendlier. I had to drive all the way to Traverse City for a Sams Club (A good hour plus) There are as many abandoned buildings in Gaylord as there are on the Detroit side of Kelly. The stores aren't as trashed inside as Eastland Mall. In two months in Harper Woods I got to know more people than I have after 2 months in Gaylord. I realize I'll lose any popularity contest on here by saying anything negative about northern Michigan.
The people aren't friendlier? I would have to disagree. I was a delivery driver for 250 stores in Michigan and the rural areas always had friendlier people. When I was at stores in the Pontiac area, few people would hold the door for me or even acknowledge me if I held it for them. The rural thumb of Michigan was totally different. Farmers would hang out in stores and wanted to have conversations about anything. I ended up talking to a farmer about fortran and programming. I was shocked that he knew so much. Many of the store owners would offer me food too, which never happened in the more populated regions.

Ok you complain about the abandoned buildings in Gaylord but want Big Box stores like Sams? That's part of the reason for all of the abandoned buildings. All of the big box stores build new buildings rather then take up the old ones. Gaylord isn't big enough for a Sams Club. Plus, I would take Gaylord over TC anyday. That town is overrated and I don't get the appeal. Small town with the traffic problems of a big town. No thanks.

Northern Michigan is great because I can get away from people if I want to. If you want city life then move back to the city. Gaylord doesn't have IKEA, Costco, Malls, or whatever other eyesore that big cities have and that's what makes it great. Breathe in the fresh air and be thankful that you don't have to commute an hour everyday to get to work. Hell be thankful that you have a job at all right now. Most likely I'm going to move half way across the country to a location I hate just so that I can work in my profession.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:17 PM

550 posts, read 2,053,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialbuddy View Post

Rape and Pedos are everywhere, you can't escape it. Plus it's hard to rate because many people don't report it because of the shame and embarrassment.

thank you, my main response was going to be that MANY rapes are not reported..................i'm a cheboygan girl, but have always liked gaylord....there are sick (I mean demented/psycho) people EVERYWHERE I do not think you can escape them no matter where you try to move to.....

Old 11-24-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialbuddy View Post
I've never been to Harper Woods so I can't say much about it. I would be willing to bet that more people have heard of Gaylord and like it better then Harper Woods. In college I heard praise of Gaylord all the time. People from the Detroit area always claim they are from Detroit since most suburbs down there are so generic and boring that they are probably too embarrassed to mention them by name.
Most people claim they are from Detroit because its the most recognizable city. Do you know where Columbia Heights is? Probably not. Its a suburb of Minneapolis but someone from that area would say Minneapolis or Twin Cities. Harper Woods is boring. It has no downtown or core to speak of. It's basically a Detroit neighborhood.

Quote:
I grew up in Gaylord and I don't think it's that dangerous. We have had no drive-by shootings or any drug related shootings period. The only time I felt threatened or in danger was at field parties with crazy rednecks.

So people in Harper Woods are too ashamed to report rape in Harper Woods but not in Gaylord? I'll deal with statistics. I don't think Gaylord is dangerous at all. I'm just amused that people will put down cities like Warren, Roseville, Eastpointe who actually have lower crime rates, but come out of the woodwork and defend to the death when a precious northern Michigan community is under criticism.

Quote:
The people aren't friendlier? I would have to disagree. I was a delivery driver for 250 stores in Michigan and the rural areas always had friendlier people. When I was at stores in the Pontiac area, few people would hold the door for me or even acknowledge me if I held it for them. The rural thumb of Michigan was totally different. Farmers would hang out in stores and wanted to have conversations about anything. I ended up talking to a farmer about fortran and programming. I was shocked that he knew so much. Many of the store owners would offer me food too, which never happened in the more populated regions.
You disagree? really? After you said you never been to Harper Woods? The people in the stores are nicer in Gaylord. Eastland Mall is a mess. I'm talking neighbors. My neighbors in Harper Woods don't threaten me. In fact, they invited me over for numerous BBQ's.

Quote:
Ok you complain about the abandoned buildings in Gaylord but want Big Box stores like Sams? That's part of the reason for all of the abandoned buildings. All of the big box stores build new buildings rather then take up the old ones. Gaylord isn't big enough for a Sams Club. Plus, I would take Gaylord over TC anyday. That town is overrated and I don't get the appeal. Small town with the traffic problems of a big town. No thanks.
Didn't complain about them, just stating the fact Gaylord has as much blight (actually more) than Harper Woods.

Quote:
Northern Michigan is great because I can get away from people if I want to. If you want city life then move back to the city. Gaylord doesn't have IKEA, Costco, Malls, or whatever other eyesore that big cities have and that's what makes it great. Breathe in the fresh air and be thankful that you don't have to commute an hour everyday to get to work. Hell be thankful that you have a job at all right now. Most likely I'm going to move half way across the country to a location I hate just so that I can work in my profession.
Air seems the same to me in Gaylord as Harper Woods. I'm looking forward to winter and living in a snow belt. I regret taking the demotion. It was either come to Gaylord for less money or be unemployed. I wish I would've taken unemployment.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:47 PM

Oh I forgot to mention, we don't have drive by or drug related shootings in Harper Woods, but they may not have been reported.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:06 PM

199 posts, read 543,384 times
Quote:
You disagree? really? After you said you never been to Harper Woods? The people in the stores are nicer in Gaylord. Eastland Mall is a mess. I'm talking neighbors. My neighbors in Harper Woods don't threaten me. In fact, they invited me over for numerous BBQ's.
Harper Woods might have the friendliest people in the world. I was just comparing rural people and city people.

I'm sorry if I implied that your old neighborhood had a drug problem or drive-bys. I guess I just wonder why you are comparing the crime of both places when It seems to be minimal. I understand that you don't like it here but complaining about crime or the rare Michaywe incident just seems like you are trying to find reasons to not like it up here. The reason burglaries are a problem up here is because of all the summer homes. They are easy targets during hard times. I still feel safer there then in the city I live in now. Here, they just found a body in the ditch and found out it's drug related. Again, Harper Woods is probably fine but I think you are being nit picky about crime by comparing it to Gaylord.

It's a different way of life in Northern Michigan. People like living in the country here and want few neighbors. Socializing is one of the things that city life has to offer. Country life is totally opposite and a lot of people like spending time with themselves/family. It's nothing against you, just the way of life up here. Chances are you haven't given people in Northern Michigan enough time for friendships to occur. It can take time for sure.

I have my issues with the place too. It took forever for Gaylord to put in some sidewalks between town and some of the shopping centers. They put in a skate park way too late. I've seen some pretty po-dunk towns that have better skate parks then the one in Gaylord. Gaylord's not perfect but I would live there before the Detroit area and I think many tourists from Detroit would agree.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:43 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,277,563 times
Quote:
In 2007 Gaylord had 6 rapes Harper Woods 9. Harper Woods is much larger so Gaylord has a much higher rate in rapes. Each city had 1 murder, so again Gaylord has a much higher rate. Assaults are much higher in Harper Woods so probably the robbed couple would've got slapped around a little.

Now you'll probably say burglaries aren't common in Gaylord. Well up through 2006, Gaylord had double the amount the burglaries of Harper Woods. Oh, and about your arson, Gaylord 1 arson Harper Woods 3. I'll call it a draw.

Lets go across the street to Eastpointe. I think everyone would agree how horrible Eastpointe is. Eastpointe's total crime is lower than Gaylord's yet everyone on here says how bad Eastpointe is.

OK we get it you hate Gaylord. When I see posts like this comparing the crime of a rural town to that of a bigger down state city I question how anyone thinks the two compare by statistics. Growing up in Southfield like I did I'd be willing to bet that when you read the statistics of the two a lot of information gets left out unless you've lived in both. When I read about how many assaults Gaylord has what comes to mind is a couple drunks fighting in a bar or some teenagers fighting over some girl. When I read about assaults in a larger city I feel there are more and far greater chances of assaults from strangers. When I read about auto theft down state I wonder how many were at gun point. When I read about auto theft in Gaylord or a smaller town I wonder if they caught the kids that were taking the car for a joy ride.
Another thing the stats cannot show is why break in's and theft are higher in a rural area. Gaylord has a lot of homes that sit vacant for a good part of the year that are easy targets for break in's. Not just by local kids who are bored and want some new goodies. Ever been snowmobiling and head down trails or two trackers nobody else rides? How many empty homes did ya see? How about canoeing? I can't count how many empty homes there are along the Au Sable river. Easy targets for anyone coming down that river. No neighbors nobody around.
So when you look at stat's I'd suggest you try and look past the simple numbers in front of you and think about what kind and how severe the crimes are your reading about. Personally I'd prefer to raise my kids in Gaylord than just about any city I can think of down state. Main reason being, no matter what those stats say. Gaylord is a very safe city. Statistics just don't tell the whole story for any area. IMO

Old 11-25-2009, 06:41 AM

485 posts, read 966,940 times
Quote:
It was either come to Gaylord for less money or be unemployed. I wish I would've taken unemployment.
So do we. That would have opened up a job for someone who wanted to live/work up there. In fact, it's probably not too late!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan