Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 12:15 PM

199 posts, read 543,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Why would someone say that a burglar would more likely stab and rape you in Harper Woods than in Gaylord?
Ok? I need a quote from the person that made this claim because I'm not seeing it. So far you are just putting words in peoples mouths.

Quote:
Is it because Harper Woods has a lot more blacks? It's puzzling to me that if I were to say this burglary happened in Harper Woods, the responses would be Harper Woods is declining, the crime is out of hand, get out while you can, it's unsafe, etc. The same thing happens in Gaylord and we are quick to make excuses.
I really don't think any one in Northern Michigan cares about Harper Woods. I'm sure a few people don't like the Flint or Detroit area because of blacks but I don't think that is the reason for most. I've already explained why people live up here. They usually like nature and wide open spaces and don't need malls or big box stores to have a good time.

For some reason I knew this conversation was going to come down to race. Gaylord has tons of Rednecks and I won't deny that. A few think they are from the south and have confederate flags on their trucks. I grew up with kids that spoke like everyone else but some how caught a southern drawl in High School. Yeah you're a yankee so why do you talk like that? We have a bunch of white eminem wannabes as well. I don't care what race you are, if you look like a clown, weigh 150 pounds but wear XXL shirts and pants around your ankles, the whole town is going to make fun of you.

I could see how it would be hard for a multiracial family to start a family in Gaylord. It didn't stop me from becoming friends with people of a different race but it was probably much harder for them to fit in with the community.

I still think you are focusing too much on the negatives. White flight has nothing to do with my dislike for Harper Woods or any other area near Detroit. I don't like cities and I would rather have 5-10 acres so my dogs can run around. I like riding my bike in the Pigeon river because I usually don't have to follow stupid nanny state leash laws. I don't give a **** about Sams club and I hope that we don't get one for the next 50 years.

My family wouldn't have an issue with your family and I know a bunch of people in Gaylord that wouldn't either. You are making generalizations from your front porch view of Gaylord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 04:26 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I just looked up the story and read it. See I feel it is wrong to even try to compare Gaylord to Harper Woods or any other city down state. Well at least in this case. See the old man and woman were threatened at knife point and tied up with duct tape. Had this happened in Harper Woods or a surrounding city the following would have happened.

The old woman would have been tied up robbed and raped. ( because people are sick)

The Old man would have bee beaten and then stabbed.

Then they would have been robbed and left as they are or maybe had their house set fire too.

Oh and also they would not have caught the criminals.

I'm not knocking Harper Woods but I find it very hard to believe this is a common thing in Gaylord.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialbuddy View Post
Ok? I need a quote from the person that made this claim because I'm not seeing it. So far you are just putting words in peoples mouths.
Pretty straight forward to me.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:51 PM

I have done some thinking and have figured I need to change my attitude. Being friendly and saying hello to my neighbors, waving to people who pass by on the street or smile and nod, or watch out for my neighbors is something they due in Harper Woods but not Gaylord. I understand now Gaylord is different and if I want to fit in I should act and behave like the locals. If a Gaylord resident moved to Harper Woods and started threatening people and being rude, they wouldn't be accepted. From now, I'm going to be rude and start talking in a threatening manner. Next time I see my neighbor I'm going to crack my knuckles and tell him there will be trouble if he plays his music again at 5:45 AM.

Now I have tried this and it works. I saw in the ABC Warehouse they had a netbook for $130. Normally $300. Pretty nice deal. Get there when they open and it's a mob scene. I say forget this and go home. Couple hours later I decided to pop over there and see if had one. As expected they sold out. No big deal. I was trying to decide what the hell is there to do in Gaylord so I figured I'll stop at Walmart. While in Walmart I figured I'll see if they price match. Talk to the lady and she said yea but the sold out. Talked to my dad and he said Houghton Lake Walmart wasn't busy. I figured I'll take a ride there and see. I arrive in Houghton Lake (By the way Houghton Lake has really gotten pathetic looking. Makes me appreciate Gaylord a little more) I stop in Walmart and sure enough they have the computer. I ask about the price match and even though they are the same models, the Walmart one has Windows 7 and the ABC one XP. I figured that was lame but oh well. I started leaving the store and realized I forgot my computer cable. As I go back, I noticed the lady taking the display unit out of the case. She then takes out all the ones in the case. She then takes the label and removes it from the shelf. She then takes everything and walks to the back. That seems strange to me. Why are they hiding the computers after I ask about a price match? Well I head to the service desk. I was polite and explained to them what happened. She kept talking about the OS. I said I understand but that is not what I'm questioning, can I please talk to a manager. She then walked out from behind the counter and started to leave while I was talking to her. This is when it hit me. She is from northern Michigan. Being polite and rational is the approach for Harper Woods. I decided to be rude and threaten. I yelled across the store don't walk away while I'm talking to you, I'm not done. After threatening to do this and that, they sold me the computer for $130. After 2 months I have finally started to grasp how to fit in here. I have a whole new outlook on northern Michigan now.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:54 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,698 times
This whole thing is very sad to me. There must be some nice people in Gaylord who don't spend all their time threatening others.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
This whole thing is very sad to me. There must be some nice people in Gaylord who don't spend all their time threatening others.
Im sure there is. I haven't found them yet.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:16 PM

Why don't you try meeting people in church. I started going to church last year after my dad died, and it's been a tremendous enrichment to my life. If you don't like traditional religion see if there are alternative faiths in the area. Over on the west side of northern Michigan we have druids and celtic shamans. If I remember correctly you're leaving in Jan, but this could make the month of December more tolerable for you.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:32 PM

I don't believe in God so that ruins that. Maybe that's the problem. There are an awful lot of churches in Gaylord.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:52 PM

Well, this is why I mentioned alternatives to traditional religion. You aren't the only person around who doesn't believe in God. I don't follow traditional religion myself yet I fit in at the church I attend. My next suggestion is what about the library? Gaylord must have one. Why not start checking out some books on psychology and put Jung at the head of the list. I pick this subject as it sounds like a good area to get into if you've been threatened by your neighbors. Whatever your interests are I'd just pour myself into them to pass the time until you can leave Gaylord.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:15 PM

199 posts, read 543,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
i have done some thinking and have figured i need to change my attitude. Being friendly and saying hello to my neighbors, waving to people who pass by on the street or smile and nod, or watch out for my neighbors is something they due in harper woods but not gaylord. I understand now gaylord is different and if i want to fit in i should act and behave like the locals. If a gaylord resident moved to harper woods and started threatening people and being rude, they wouldn't be accepted. From now, i'm going to be rude and start talking in a threatening manner. Next time i see my neighbor i'm going to crack my knuckles and tell him there will be trouble if he plays his music again at 5:45 am.

Now i have tried this and it works. I saw in the abc warehouse they had a netbook for $130. Normally $300. Pretty nice deal. Get there when they open and it's a mob scene. I say forget this and go home. Couple hours later i decided to pop over there and see if had one. As expected they sold out. No big deal. I was trying to decide what the hell is there to do in gaylord so i figured i'll stop at walmart. While in walmart i figured i'll see if they price match. Talk to the lady and she said yea but the sold out. Talked to my dad and he said houghton lake walmart wasn't busy. I figured i'll take a ride there and see. I arrive in houghton lake (by the way houghton lake has really gotten pathetic looking. Makes me appreciate gaylord a little more) i stop in walmart and sure enough they have the computer. I ask about the price match and even though they are the same models, the walmart one has windows 7 and the abc one xp. I figured that was lame but oh well. I started leaving the store and realized i forgot my computer cable. As i go back, i noticed the lady taking the display unit out of the case. She then takes out all the ones in the case. She then takes the label and removes it from the shelf. She then takes everything and walks to the back. That seems strange to me. Why are they hiding the computers after i ask about a price match? Well i head to the service desk. I was polite and explained to them what happened. She kept talking about the os. I said i understand but that is not what i'm questioning, can i please talk to a manager. She then walked out from behind the counter and started to leave while i was talking to her. This is when it hit me. She is from northern michigan. Being polite and rational is the approach for harper woods. I decided to be rude and threaten. I yelled across the store don't walk away while i'm talking to you, i'm not done. After threatening to do this and that, they sold me the computer for $130. After 2 months i have finally started to grasp how to fit in here. I have a whole new outlook on northern michigan now.
don't feed the trolls

Old 11-27-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialbuddy View Post
don't feed the trolls

I'm being trolled by people in Houghton Lake now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan