Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2011, 03:46 PM

10 posts, read 36,686 times

Advertisements

Hello we just got orders to Rota Spain and i wanted to know about living on base. Can someone give me information about housing and size and waiting list? How is off base housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 06:20 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Why live on base? Live off base and enjoy Spain...

I lived in Spain for two years while in Moron and went to Rota about every other week for work. The great news is housing is inexpensive, violent crime is almost zero, and the quality of life is high. You will literally be within walking distance to a beach if you choose.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:50 PM

30 posts, read 132,153 times
You are so lucky!!!! Rota is great and the base is pretty nice. I am from Spain and my husband is in the Army. We flight to Spain space A every summer and he LOVES Rota. All Americans living there LOVE it!!! I am from a city near Madrid and I think that Rota is awesome. The beach is great, the people are nice, and the food is wonderful! Also, the weather is really, really nice! If you have children of school age, I would live on post because of the schools. You are soooooo lucky!!!!!

Old 01-09-2012, 06:09 AM

1 posts, read 15,900 times
Default Housing off Base Rota, Spain.

I am considering a transfer with DeCA to Rota, Spain. I do not have a vehicle. Will get one there. I am not active duty so onbase housing is not an option. Anyone know any reliable realtors, or sites for off base housing/apartments?

Old 01-10-2012, 06:17 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
I take it you will be working on the base? Also what type of Base privileges do you have?

My advise is for a vehicle, bring cash and buy a used one on the local economy. You should be able to get a deal. The Spanish economy is in the septic tank, it left the crapper a long time ago and people are shedding 2nd cars and such. You will need insurance for your car, and its about the same as the U.S. I had Mapfre when I lived there. Remember gas is $8 dollars a gallon roughly you don't want to commute long distances.

As for housing, you should be able to find housing at a descent price.. Here is a link....

MIL ANUNCIOS.COM - Alquiler de pisos en Rota.

When renting a house make sure it's for 12 months not 10. Rents will be higher and sometimes the LL will advertise the tenth month rent. The 10 month doesn't include July and August when they can get maximum value for there place which may $3000 a month. Whereas December may be $300.

Features in the home...
1.) Roof top solar hot water heater.... This will save you about $50 to $70 a month in natural gas or electricity for heating water.
2.) Newer windows, 99% of Spanish houses in the South do not have central heat they rely on Space heaters. Having newer windows helps keep in the heat when you do need it.
3.) A/C don't need it in Rota, it may never get above 90 degrees and if it does there's usually a breeze.
4.) Be careful with location, observe the amount of bars, discos, etc... if you like to go to bed early or sleep in. Spaniards love noise, my wife has no concept of noise pollution. The apartment in the middle of it all may be great during the day but at night when there are 2000 people partying outside your window well you get the hint.
5.) Parking in Spain is like parking in a big city try to get a parking spot.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 13,863 times
Hi, I am from Spain but marry to a military so now we live in Virginia.
We have a wonderfull place to rent in EL puerto, it just became available.
Location is great, close from the base and from downtown.
3 bedroom, 2 bath, ac/ heather.
Private garage, comunity pool.
I can sent you an email with pict and all the information.
Rent is negotiable.
We are looking for a good tenant ti take care of our wobderfull place

Old 11-14-2012, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 13,689 times
Default Rental

I am retired miliary and planning to spend some time in rota area in very ear future. is your home still available for rent. we were thinking about a month but could possibly stay longer. please contact me at 682 558 9633 or email [EMAIL="ed4ta43@gmail.com"]ed4ta43@gmail.com[/EMAIL]. we hope to hear from you very soon for planning purposes.
ed fortier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraspain View Post
Hi, I am from Spain but marry to a military so now we live in Virginia.
We have a wonderfull place to rent in EL puerto, it just became available.
Location is great, close from the base and from downtown.
3 bedroom, 2 bath, ac/ heather.
Private garage, comunity pool.
I can sent you an email with pict and all the information.
Rent is negotiable.
We are looking for a good tenant ti take care of our wobderfull place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues