Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 06:56 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,422,470 times

Advertisements

In today's employment world where most corporations have eliminated pensions for 401K plans, a military retirement w/ medical coverage is definitely an incentive to stay to 20-yrs. I nearly left the Army at 10 yrs, but family members talked me into staying. I recently retired at 23 yrs and really appreciate the monthly income - and feel very fortunate. If not for the military retirement incentive, I'd have left the Army years ago and would have to work well into my 60s, for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 01:08 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,640,975 times
I'm not in the military nor have I ever been.. I worked as a contractor for the Navy for the last four years and have seen my share of men, women come and go - via retirement, dishonorable discharge, honorable discharge, medical retirement, etc. You name it, I've got a friend who has been through it. Here are my thoughts. You have 11 years in now. You made it through 11 years of moving around, assignments you either loved or hated, moved your family around, and had jobs you wouldn't give to your worse enemy but....
The fact is, if the Army is like the navy and you have less than 10 years to a 20 year retirement mark why not just do it? Here's the thing. I knew a lot of geo-bachelors who left their families to be in the military and every chance they got to go on leave they did to see their wives and children. It's a hard life being the man of the house and not actually being IN the house but you are working towards securing a future for your family and for yourself.

Our country is going through tragic economic events right now with no light at the end of the tunnel, when you get out yes you'll have leave days, terminal leave and some benefits, you can begin your VA stuff with whatever medical issues you get out with but in five years down the road, will it have been worth it? Just know this, I've seen men in your same position do this and then regret getting out and end up joining as a reservist.
They go through severe withdrawal from not having that schedule, organization, structure, etc. Just be prepared for this.

On the flip side, if you hate your job that much, you feel you have learned enough that you can go to school and fairly easily pick up a degree in a job you will love and be able to make money in and if it's causing this much stress on you and your family then yes, by all means you should get out and live your life.

I just like to see both sides of things and show options from multiple scenarios. Whatever you choose, first thank you for serving and second, good luck with whatever choice you make.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:24 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,247 times
You would be a fool to get out now. I did 25 years in the Navy and love the retired paycheck and especially the TRICARE. You only have 9 years left and that will go very quickly. Stick it out!

Old 06-20-2011, 04:21 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,530,387 times
My military pension helps subsidize the cheap freight I haul... Staying long enough to retire was worth it, though...

Old 06-20-2011, 04:30 PM

40 posts, read 140,837 times
Stay put. You'll never find this type of retirement in the civilian sector! It is worth it and your wife will appreciate it 10 ears from now!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:58 AM

7 posts, read 19,475 times
Hang in there man. Nine years or less is nothing to work for a retirement. I have been retired for over 33 years now and I only served 20. Tri-care for life and a check every month. Daily food and no sleeping in a car or on a park bench. Discuss it with your wife and think about the economy. You will never be sorry if you stay in service. Good Luck.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:36 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,640,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAKKUNNUI View Post
Hang in there man. Nine years or less is nothing to work for a retirement. I have been retired for over 33 years now and I only served 20. Tri-care for life and a check every month. Daily food and no sleeping in a car or on a park bench. Discuss it with your wife and think about the economy. You will never be sorry if you stay in service. Good Luck.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad you're enjoying your well deserved retirement.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:03 PM

934 posts, read 1,938,105 times
I retired this year after 24. It was worth all the pain. I'd advise you to stay in!

Old 07-27-2011, 06:31 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
I retired this year after 24. It was worth all the pain. I'd advise you to stay in!
Do you miss it yet?

Many times I do...

Rich

Old 07-27-2011, 06:58 PM

934 posts, read 1,938,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Do you miss it yet?

Many times I do...

Rich
Sometimes. I still reach for my cover when I go outside, and I feel funny putting my hands in my pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues