Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:40 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
Sometimes. I still reach for my cover when I go outside, and I feel funny putting my hands in my pockets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Do you miss it yet?

Many times I do...

Rich
About the only thing I miss is flying, everything else was becoming complete BS....at least in my last division.....2ID....in Korea....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 08:11 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,541,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
About the only thing I miss is flying, everything else was becoming complete BS....at least in my last division.....2ID....in Korea....
We serviced a lot of "Innkeeper" Chinooks when I was at Kwang Ju!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:14 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
We serviced a lot of "Innkeeper" Chinooks when I was at Kwang Ju!

Yes, I may have been there (Innkeeper 99 - 00 and 2005 - 2009).....
They had a GREAT burger at the on post club! One of the best....even compared to what I eat now...

Old 07-29-2011, 11:31 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
I don't miss it because I am on the post daily. I use the gym, the Bowling Alley, PX Commissary, even get an Army Haircut to feel comfortable. I miss having Artillery Firing though

Old 07-30-2011, 12:51 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Agree 100%. Last tour with 2ID was in 1999. Complete waste of time.4 previous tours dating back to 1985. The good old days...

Old 07-30-2011, 08:20 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,468,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredandProud View Post
Stay put. You'll never find this type of retirement in the civilian sector! It is worth it and your wife will appreciate it 10 ears from now!
This is true - and I expect w/ the current budget deficit and debt crisis, the future military retirement compensation program will likely be changed (reduced), possibly making retired active duty members wait until they're 55 years of age or something similar rather than immediately the day after retiring from the military.

PS - don't expect your civilian cohorts/friends to be overly happy for you as they continue to have to work until their 50s, 60s, 70s and beyond while you possibly could not have to work another day in your life after leaving the military.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:28 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,413,164 times
Pardon me for horning in, this is an interesting thread. I just want to say "thank you for your service" to each of you--whether a few years or a whole career.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:32 AM

934 posts, read 1,939,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
This is true - and I expect w/ the current budget deficit and debt crisis, the future military retirement compensation program will likely be changed (reduced), possibly making retired active duty members wait until they're 55 years of age or something similar rather than immediately the day after retiring from the military.

PS - don't expect your civilian cohorts/friends to be overly happy for you as they continue to have to work until their 50s, 60s, 70s and beyond while you possibly could not have to work another day in your life after leaving the military.
Agreed on the upcoming changes...I think military retirement is about to become significantly less generous in the near future, so lock it in while you can.

As far as working, welll......I retired after 24 and while I suppose I could survive on my retirement alone, it would not be a very expansive lifestyle. The big advantage is to be able to start a second career at a relatively young age with a 'baseline' or 'foundation' in the bank.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:20 AM

301 posts, read 804,760 times
My dad only did Marine Reserves/Air National Guard and he stayed in for something like 30 years and retired as an E8.

His civilian job is in Real-Estate.

We rely on his military retirement as it is the only source of income that is stable. Tricare is amazing. Tricare alone was worth him completing 20 years.

He had a heart attack at 59 and we had no insurance at the time. Massive bill that we just couldn't afford. Luckily though, when he turned 60, he was able to start seeing doctors again and getting medications. And my sister has all sorts of medical problems.

His being retired also made two trips to Disney World possible.

To me, there's just something to be said about job security and a stable paycheck... even if it isn't much, it's at least there, no matter what.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:44 AM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
I read only the first page of comments.

I'd say stick it out. Nine years will be gone in a flash.
I have friends who did their two or three years active duty way back when, I can see the wheels turning regarding pensions, Tricare, etc.
Too late now.

I considered exiting the USAR after Desert Storm because of disappointment and disgust in the way so many in our unit, sister units, and the higher commands acted during deployment. Mostly these were the upper ranks, E-7, E-8, O-4 through O-7. Like spoiled children, to put it politely.

I did stick it out, seven years, and finished my 20 (4+ active) and fired off my retirement paperwork the day after my 20 year letter arrived. My wife initially wanted me to stay and perhaps achieve CSM status. I was in an E-8 slot and would have had it in a year or so.

Enough was enough, we're both glad I retired when I did.

While some city and state pensions are looking good now (SF cops and firemen @ $100,000+), many cities and states have mismanaged their funds like the insane persons or criminal entities that they are.
Whether those pensions ever get paid or whether some of those entities eventually collapse is open to conjecture.
I see one city in NJ (I think) has quit paying firefighter pensions, but kept a slew of other gravy-train programs going.
Reneging on those contracts should be go-to-jail IMO, but in the Animal Farm world we're sliding into, nothing has happened so far.

Even taking a pay cut (i.e., no inflation adjustment) the last two years because of the fraudulent CPI index (food and fuel not included), which has amounted to a 6-10% cut, we're still ahead. I have a state pension coming in a few years.

Some of the more vocal and brown-nosing brass want to cut pensions and bennies, but when you're a three or four star general who's going to slide right into a juicy, obvious conflict-of-interest job on the civilian side to supplement your seven to 10 grand/month pension, things look different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues