Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:24 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,239 times

Advertisements

I liked San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 09:15 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
to support other opinions in here, i must agree that san diego is the best military town/city. all branches of the military are stationed here including huge military jurisdictions including camp pendleton (mostly army), miramar (mostly air force), coronado (a mix of marines/navy/air force), national city (mostly navy/marines/army), point loma (navy/marines), etc.

as for the worst, i would say any small town in the middle of nowhere!
I have to agree that San Diego is a great military town.

But I have to correct something.

Camp Pendleton, Marines.
Miramar, Marines.
Coronado, Navy.
North Island, Navy.
National city 32nd st. Navy.
Point Loma, Navy.

There are no Army, nor Air Force stationed in that area. Except a few recruiters (maybe 20).

Old 09-27-2007, 09:53 AM

793 posts, read 3,121,780 times
Worst would have to be Groton, CT. Even the local dancers need some serious dental work.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:48 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
I forgot to mention the worst Military town. It would have to be a military town that is no more. Link Hunters Point, San Francisco. Or maybe Long Beach, Ca.

Was never stationed on the East Coast so didn't see them while they were going strong.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:20 PM

4 posts, read 21,277 times
I think Norfolk/Virginia Beach is nice. My sister has been stationed there for 7 years and really loves it. Houses are pretty expensive though. Virginia Beach has a lot of good schools and there is a lot to do around there.

San Diego seems nice too. My husband is from there, dad is retired navy. Expensive too, but from what I've seen I like it.

Currently we are stationed at Ft. Hood. I must say I really like it here. Although, it is really freakin hot in Texas. We live in Copperas Cove which is one of the towns right outside of the base and next to Killeen. I guess Killeen would be considered the big military town. I hear some negative things about Killeen but I think it's alright. I guess if you don't like a lot of single military people out partying on the weekends then you shouldn't live there. Don't a lot of young single people party on the weekends? No big deal. Kind of reminds me of a college town atmosphere. Seems alright though.

Before Texas, we were at Ft. LeonardWood, Mo. I liked it because I'm from St. Louis so it was close to home. Also my mom lives near Branson and she was about 2 1/2 hours away. As for the towns itself, St. Robert and Waynesville, I must admit there is nothing to do there. I probably went to Wal-Mart about a thousand times. It is pretty safe and quiet there, but boring. Unless that is, you drive to Springfield, St. Louis, or Branson. I definitely liked the base Ft. LeonardWood though.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:14 PM

718 posts, read 2,687,874 times
San diego by far.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:49 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,530,387 times
I'm gonna throw out a "curveball"; My experience is that "attitude is everything" when it comes to surviving and thriving in a military town. Some of my best assignments were to Air Force bases that ranked poorly because of the local area outside the gate. I actually loved being at Laughlin AFB, TX (near Del Rio, 150 miles W of San Antonio) and Mountain Home, AFB, ID (at Mountain Home, 50 miles E of Boise) Places like Hampton Roads and Sacramento have a lot to offer, but I'll have to say I enjoyed places where the base and the townfolk pretty much had just each other to depend on.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:30 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,165,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
San diego by far.
Do you consider it the best or worst?

Old 09-30-2007, 06:39 PM

261 posts, read 621,593 times
From my travels and opinions of friends:

Best: San Diego/Colorado Springs/San Antonio/Monterrey
Worse: El Paso/Abilene/Grand Forks

Old 10-01-2007, 09:49 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,271,285 times
We really enjoyed Alamogordo New Mexico,the town outside
of Holloman AFB. It was very supportive of the military,which I feel
is a big plus. It was a small town, but we like small. Now we reside in
Lompoc CA, and its ok.Its home to Vandenberg AFB. I wouldnt even say its a military town. I dont
like the stupid protestors outside the base every so often. But thats
CA for ya. I miss NM. sigh.........

Deb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues