Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 11:07 AM

295 posts, read 1,451,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by User24 View Post
..I hate the smell of ladybugs.
Wow! I never knew ladybugs had a smell. I guess I learned something today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 12:16 PM

167 posts, read 214,308 times
Best=Either San Diego or Colorado Springs
Worst=Clarksville, TN

Old 03-06-2008, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 6,871 times
The best area in general is the Panhandle of Florida. From Pensacola with the Naval Station (home to the Blue Angels!), Eglin AFB (the size of Rhode Island!), Hurlburt field, and then to Tyndall AFB in Panama City. The whole part of the emeral coast is beautiful and very supportive of the military. Colorado Springs is also really nice.
I would try to not get stationed to Minot AFB in North Dakota. Cold as hell (-50 anyone??), middle of no where, very few options for shopping, eating, doctors, flights, anything really and the base itself is nothing special. The redeeming quality is the people. Granted the locals may be bit naive (most have never left the state) but they are usually nice. I am not one for small town feelings, but if that's what you dig, then you may like it.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:43 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,622,838 times
Clarksville is pretty bad.

Yes Asian beetles aka lady bugs have a smell.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:17 PM

13,358 posts, read 40,010,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Clarksville is pretty bad.

Yes Asian beetles aka lady bugs have a smell.
You're right on both counts. Clarksville (like most military towns) is pretty dumpy. And Asian beetles most definitely have a smell, particularly when there are a few thousand of them dried up in the vacuum cleaner.

Would Annapolis count as a military town since it's home to the Naval Academy? If so, I think it's the nicest military town.

I also like Anchorage as a military town.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:43 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,383,380 times
Best = Atlanta
Worst = Columbia, SC

Old 07-15-2008, 06:36 AM

32 posts, read 89,146 times
From a Navy point of view:
Best-Jacksonville, FL and Norfolk, VA
Worst-Patuxent River, MD ("Pax River")

Was stationed in Jacksonville and Norfolk between 2000 and 2002, so I things may have changed, but I enjoyed my time in both places. Yes, the traffic around Norfolk is bad, but I lived very close to the base and avoided it.

Pax River--isolated! Most people from Maryland have never even heard of the place unless they live (or have lived) there. You have to drive 45 minutes to get to an okay shopping mall and there really is nothing to do unless you are a boater. It is a pretty place, but I was so happy when we moved.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:02 AM

50,398 posts, read 64,106,567 times
I agree, Ft. Carson in Col Springs and the Presidio are beautiful. Ft. Stewart in Savannah is OK. Ft. Bragg is nice, but Fayetteville itself is pretty much an armpit.
Unfortunately, a military town seems to cater to the lowest common denomonater. The bigger it is the more poluted it becomes with used car dealers, pawn shops, tattoo parlors and strip joints.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:32 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,641,586 times
I would have gnawed my arm off if we had been stationed at Edwards AFB in the desert of California. We just drove x-country and I couldn't believe how depressing it was driving through there. Ick!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:04 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,550,981 times
Default Army Mom

As an Army mom, I can't say what it's like to live on base but as a frequent visitor to a few.....
I liked Columbus Ga(Benning)
Ft Bragg is ok but the jury is still out on Fayetteville, if you stay off Bragg Blvd it's not TOO bad.
Ft Bliss El Paso...I didn't care for this one and the only reason I could come up with is...I need trees and grass. We went there for a cousin's CSM graduation. Wonderful group of people.
Sheffield Barracks....well it's in Hawaii....nuff said. lol

My favorite so far has been Ft Lewis. Lots of towns to choose from if you don't want to live on base. Stunning scenery close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues