Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 08:39 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,858,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I am older than James Mackenzie Fallows who was born August 2, 1949.

I served 20+ years continuous active duty in the U.S. Military.

Fallows served 0 (zero) time in any military...

Early in his career, Fallows wrote an article called "What Did You Do in the Class War, Daddy?" (Washington Monthly, October 1975). It described the "draft physical" day at the Boston Navy Yard in 1970, in which Fallows and his Harvard and MIT classmates overwhelmingly produced reasons for medical exemptions, while the white working-class men of Chelsea, Massachusetts were approved for service...

I wonder about Fallows "realities"....
I, too am older than Fallows and I passed my preinduction physical and was drafted and put in my time and got out. You were free to make your choice, I was not. I hold no grudge for those who used every method to avoid doing time while politicians, chasing votes and supporting big business, sent my brothers and yours to their deaths while keeping their own kids home. As one famous objector stated "I Ain’t Got No Quarrel With Them Vietcong." I didn't then, still don't today and respect the decision that any young man made in those times. It's the American way.

Last edited by kokonutty; 08-23-2019 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 08:49 PM

949 posts, read 574,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Look at US Government leaders as the problem, not the military. Clueless leaders in the White House and Congress setting limits on the military inhibit their ability to complete victory.
So hundreds of billions of dollars was not enough money spent to obtain victory recently. Okay.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:00 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,067,063 times
Years ago, I remember taking the elevator down from our floor and there was several others on it. Two guys worked for us. One was the GM who ran an operation for us. The other was an agent on one of the teams.

Both guys were pushing 60 and at least 10 years older than me. One lost his hand in Vietnam, the other avoided the draft.

When the doors opened, the GM wished us both a good weekend and went on his way. The other guy turned to me and said, “When that mother****er was chasing tail in college, we were in Vietnam trying to survive. Now look at him....he probably make 4 times what I make.”

I hadn’t heard someone express it in those terms before but it made me wonder about my service’s impact on my career. Life isn’t linear - my outcomes would have been different had I not served. I’m lucky - in the second half of the 70’s, there was no appetite for war so I came out mentally and physically intact. The best I can do now is vote my conscience and try to take care of those who weren’t as lucky.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:11 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,815,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I, too am older than Fallows and I passed my preinduction physical and was drafted and put in my time and got out. You were free to make your choice, I was not. I hold no grudge for those who used every method to avoid doing time while politicians, chasing votes and supporting big business, sent my brothers and yours to their deaths while keeping their own kids home. As one famous objector stated "I Ain’t Got No Quarrel With Them Vietcong." I didn't then, still don't today and respect the decision that any young man made in those times. It's the American way.
I was drafted, May 3, 1968.... I decided to stay in. Look at post #3, https://www.city-data.com/forum/55983702-post3.html

Old 08-23-2019, 10:38 PM

17,638 posts, read 17,743,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
So hundreds of billions of dollars was not enough money spent to obtain victory recently. Okay.
It’s not about the budget. It’s about rules of engagement and limits on when and where to engage the enemy in the field. Congress and the stars in the Pentagon waste boatloads of cash. Seen examples of this first hand. That is Congress. What I’m talking about is a committee of politicians setting limits on how the military can combat the enemy. Setting such limits emboldens the enemy and prolongs the war/combat. Complete victory over the enemy brings an end to combat. Gee, it’s almost as if some members of Congress are profiting off continued combat operations.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:50 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,010,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
It’s not about the budget. It’s about rules of engagement and limits on when and where to engage the enemy in the field. Congress and the stars in the Pentagon waste boatloads of cash. Seen examples of this first hand. That is Congress. What I’m talking about is a committee of politicians setting limits on how the military can combat the enemy. Setting such limits emboldens the enemy and prolongs the war/combat. Complete victory over the enemy brings an end to combat. Gee, it’s almost as if some members of Congress are profiting off continued combat operations.
It's not nearly that simple. Do you think our generations greatest military scholars didn't think of that? The enemy gets a vote. Sometimes limited wars need to be conducted. And sometimes, the enemy will not give in.

And giving military leaders a free pass to do what they want will be a disaster. See McArthur in Korea for an example.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:38 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,858,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I was drafted, May 3, 1968.... I decided to stay in. Look at post #3, https://www.city-data.com/forum/55983702-post3.html
Do you believe that your 22 years in the military, my two years, or Fallows' zero years gives any of us more of a right to voice his opinion than the others?

Old 08-24-2019, 06:24 AM

27,236 posts, read 13,527,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Lingering Word War II strategy. All those billion dollar aircraft carriers , submarines and F 35 fighters will never defeat small cells of religious fanatics armed with assault rifles and suicide bomb vests.
TBF - the US has very good special forces and intelligence gathering agencies, and has invested heavily in drones and cyber warfare.

Furthermore the US has been succesful in keeping the peace since WW2, as all those conventional and nuclear forces mean that few countries would want to go to war with the US.

In terms of Vietnam, it was the unpopularity of the war at home and the Vietnamese peoples ability to take extremely heavy losses, whilst the middle east is a no win situation, as are countries like Afghanistan, and it's best not to be drawn in to ground wars in such areas.

Britain had to fight a lot of wars after leaving Empire, some were more succesful than others, although one of the most striking succeses was during the Malayan Emergency when large numbers of civilians were put in to 'new villages' with barbed wire around them and special crack forces including the Royal Marines and King's African Rifles and headed by the SAS were sent in to hunt down and kill the Communist Guerillas and to use the very same irregular warfare tactics againt the communist forces.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:12 AM

949 posts, read 574,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
It's not nearly that simple. Do you think our generations greatest military scholars didn't think of that? The enemy gets a vote. Sometimes limited wars need to be conducted. And sometimes, the enemy will not give in.

And giving military leaders a free pass to do what they want will be a disaster. See McArthur in Korea for an example.
Don’t forget Westmoreland in Vietnam. Dumb as a box of rocks.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:11 AM

39,257 posts, read 27,661,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
TBF - the US has very good special forces and intelligence gathering agencies, and has invested heavily in drones and cyber warfare.

Furthermore the US has been succesful in keeping the peace since WW2, as all those conventional and nuclear forces mean that few countries would want to go to war with the US.

In terms of Vietnam, it was the unpopularity of the war at home and the Vietnamese peoples ability to take extremely heavy losses, whilst the middle east is a no win situation, as are countries like Afghanistan, and it's best not to be drawn in to ground wars in such areas.

Britain had to fight a lot of wars after leaving Empire, some were more succesful than others, although one of the most striking succeses was during the Malayan Emergency when large numbers of civilians were put in to 'new villages' with barbed wire around them and special crack forces including the Royal Marines and King's African Rifles and headed by the SAS were sent in to hunt down and kill the Communist Guerillas and to use the very same irregular warfare tactics againt the communist forces.
I agree with this.

Plus, If by “wars” people mean protracted, asymmetrical counter-insurgency operations like Afghanistan, I don’t think the US (or any other conventional force) has a good enough track record of winning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues