Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 11:28 AM

1,131 posts, read 387,178 times

Advertisements

I'm sickened to hear about this label to those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

It kind of reminds me of one of my college professors who laughed at me when I told him I was headed to Officer Basic Course then my first assignment after graduating. He thought I was wasting my education.

After a nearly 23-yr career, that conversation stick sticks with me that this guy thought serving your country wasn't anything but an honorable thing to do.

Anyone else put down for the service you gave to your country?

I'm starting to understand what my father went through after returning from Vietnam and the reception he received.

Old 09-04-2020, 12:00 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
I remember the popular entertainment around the time I went into the service. As represented by Mayo in An Officer and a Gentleman with his "I got no where else to go", Stripes and Gunny Hightower's recon squad. Although Top Gun and Navy SEALS were starting to get some respect from the general culture.

The regulars,the dog faces, have always been seen with some trepidation by Americans

Old 09-04-2020, 12:49 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
During my short time as a civilian employed with the federal gov, I heard and experienced a demeaning attitude towards veterans frequently. I will say federal civilian employees have been by far the worse regarding their attitudes of any place I worked or been around.

Old 09-04-2020, 01:44 PM

6,101 posts, read 3,338,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingItEasy View Post
I'm sickened to hear about this label to those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

It kind of reminds me of one of my college professors who laughed at me when I told him I was headed to Officer Basic Course then my first assignment after graduating. He thought I was wasting my education.

After a nearly 23-yr career, that conversation stick sticks with me that this guy thought serving your country wasn't anything but an honorable thing to do.

Anyone else put down for the service you gave to your country?

I'm starting to understand what my father went through after returning from Vietnam and the reception he received.
First of all, Trump never said that. He has vehemently denied he ever said it, and the media admits they have not corroborated it, just that “unnamed sources” reported it.

The media is dishonest, we all know that, and this is par for the course. If you don’t like Trump’s policies, that’s fine. But don’t fall for this.

The military community is surprisingly a smaller one than we think, and we all talk amongst ourselves. I know a few people who have directly worked with this current White House and they all have a favorable opinion of the President. He is very respectful of the military. That’s why this story is likely 100% fabricated.

President Obama was also very well liked by the troops and he treated us well. George Bush (the younger) wasn’t as well liked as Obama was, but he treated the military with much respect. Bill Clinton also had great respect for the troops and the ones who interacted with him all liked him.

You want to know 2 people who treated the military like garbage? Hillary Clinton and Al Gore. That’s an absolute fact as I had numerous people tell me that who worked in some capacity for the executive branch.

But to answer your question, I joined the military in 1990, retired 25 years later, and I’m now a defense contractor, so that’s nearly 30 years total. Believe it or not, pre 9/11, we were doing a parade in the 90’s, in Texas of all places, and we received some boos. After 9/11, things changed and people had a better opinion of the military and I’ve heard “thank you for your service” thousands of times.

I think it’s fair to say the vast majority of people like and appreciate the military. But I think it’s also a fair thing to say that the pendulum might be swinging back again. This current movement is anti establishment and appears to be gaining momentum.

Old 09-04-2020, 01:56 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
During my short time as a civilian employed with the federal gov, I heard and experienced a demeaning attitude towards veterans frequently. I will say federal civilian employees have been by far the worse regarding their attitudes of any place I worked or been around.
I don't know what branch of the service you worked for, but as a 22+ year federal employee for the Navy, I saw and experienced nothing but pride and camaraderie in the interactions between the civilians, Naval personnel and Marines at our command and other commands where I had dealings. Many (in fact, I'd say the majority) of our male civilian employees were veterans and I appreciated the knowledge and real world experience they brought to supporting the mission.

Old 09-04-2020, 03:26 PM

4,855 posts, read 2,670,979 times
I know he's a dumb ass but he couldn't be that stupid..........could he?..

Old 09-04-2020, 04:05 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
I laugh at those who are so suffering from TDS that they will take anonymous sources (contrary to official on the record statements claiming the contrary) as the gospel truth

Old 09-04-2020, 04:42 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,886,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
I know he's a dumb ass but he couldn't be that stupid..........could he?..
Yep he could. Story continues to unfold.

Old 09-04-2020, 05:54 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,164,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
First of all, Trump never said that. He has vehemently denied he ever said it, and the media admits they have not corroborated it, just that “unnamed sources” reported it.
Trump-friendly Fox News reporter has confirmed that Trump did say it.

https://twitter.com/JenGriffinFNC/st...75321495973889

Old 09-04-2020, 06:45 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I don't know what branch of the service you worked for, but as a 22+ year federal employee for the Navy, I saw and experienced nothing but pride and camaraderie in the interactions between the civilians, Naval personnel and Marines at our command and other commands where I had dealings. Many (in fact, I'd say the majority) of our male civilian employees were veterans and I appreciated the knowledge and real world experience they brought to supporting the mission.
I will just say it was not the DOD or military/national security related agency, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues