Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 09:51 AM

6,206 posts, read 3,414,765 times

Advertisements

I’m very skeptical, and I’ll even go on record that we will still be there beyond Biden’s 9/11 deadline.

First of all, he picked that date in order to make Bush look even worse than he already is. Purely political reason why we are (supposedly) leaving on Sep 11, 2021.

Secondly, a whole fighting season remains between now and September. There are factions on both sides, to include our so called adversaries, who don’t want us to leave.

I agree that a majority of Americans want us out of there, and I also agree that we should’ve left long ago, but since when does the will of the people factor into anything anymore?

Again, I don’t think we will be gone, and I also predict there will be more troops in the entire AOR than there are currently. So us leaving, if we even do that, will not mean anything other than Biden getting to bash Bush for starting this mess.

The situation is destabilizing, it’s not getting more peaceful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 10:40 AM

8,516 posts, read 6,938,310 times
Biden seems determined to implement the September deadline. I wouldn’t be surprised though that there will still still be advisors aka troops around keeping a low profile. And the possibility of continuing money for weapons and training for the locals.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:16 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,434,198 times
Officially sure, but unofficially, we wills till be there.

They will just assign troops under the CIA, not have to list them as being there. They do this constantly to bypass congressional troop limits.

It is going from overt to covert now is all.

And they will just have "advisers and trainers" which political speak for we are there but not there on a combat basis.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:46 PM

The reason I even brought this up is because of Obama’s poor decision to leave Iraq, which ISIS took advantage of, and now we are still there. I guess Biden is ok with us being in Iraq?

But the same thing would happen. The Taliban is gonna retake a large part of the country just like they had pre-2001. They will retake Kabul. Of course, Afghanistan isn’t really a country, so the Taliban will never control the whole country, and they didn’t before.

It’s the same old problem, we shouldn’t be there in the first place, but if we leave it’s gonna turn into a horrible situation. That’s gonna be amazing, seeing the Taliban use former US facilities to wage war against the same clans they’ve been fighting for hundreds of years.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:52 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,434,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
The reason I even brought this up is because of Obama’s poor decision to leave Iraq, which ISIS took advantage of, and now we are still there. I guess Biden is ok with us being in Iraq?

But the same thing would happen. The Taliban is gonna retake a large part of the country just like they had pre-2001. They will retake Kabul. Of course, Afghanistan isn’t really a country, so the Taliban will never control the whole country, and they didn’t before.

It’s the same old problem, we shouldn’t be there in the first place, but if we leave it’s gonna turn into a horrible situation. That’s gonna be amazing, seeing the Taliban use former US facilities to wage war against the same clans they’ve been fighting for hundreds of years.
Bush actually signed the agreement in 2008 to withdraw troops from Iraq by 2012.

I do not care what the situation turns into there. They had 20 years and a trillion dollars to get themselves up to speed, they just do not care, they like living the way they do. What is the US to do, spend another 20 years and trillions of more dollars?

Old 04-15-2021, 05:24 PM

8,516 posts, read 6,938,310 times
So we have a situation in Afghanistan where the the first troops in that country have offspring who are old enough to be in the military and be sent to the same country where their parents fought. That’s a long time. A second Vietnam arguably where for many reasons we could not win and left.

Old 04-16-2021, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Bush actually signed the agreement in 2008 to withdraw troops from Iraq by 2012.

I do not care what the situation turns into there. They had 20 years and a trillion dollars to get themselves up to speed, they just do not care, they like living the way they do. What is the US to do, spend another 20 years and trillions of more dollars?
Who cares what Bush signed, it was Obama’s decision to leave, and then we had to go back in there.

As far as your point about wasting money in AFG, you act like that money won’t be wasted elsewhere if it is reallocated, because it absolutely will.

Like I stated before, we are both in agreement that we shouldn’t be there, but what I am saying is that we aren’t gonna leave, and if I’m wrong and we do, we will just plus up somewhere else in the region. Saving what exactly?

I just think it’s a political stunt at this point. Also, it’s inevitable that the Taliban will regain sort of control of the country. Afghani women thrown out of jobs, girls barred from school, violence against women, etc.

This whole withdraw fiasco will be used politically.

Old 04-16-2021, 06:30 AM

24,756 posts, read 9,549,998 times
There will be a small footprint of counter intelligence, special forces, contractors, and other support. Just like in Iraq, Kuwait, etc.

But we WILL absolutely be leaving by September, NATO too. The Taliban is too powerful to have thousands of troops in that country.

And when the Taliban takes back Afganistan, there won't be anything we can do.

Old 04-16-2021, 06:36 AM

6,717 posts, read 5,965,558 times
What ever happened to the Tajiks and the Northern Alliance? Back in 2002, they overran Kabul and drove out the Pashtun Taliban, with American help of course. Then the Americans insisted on letting the Pashtuns pretty much take over again since they're the majority.

It seems to me if the American military leaves, there will be civil war with at least 3 factions:
1. the regular Afghan army supplied by the U.S. and aided by U.S. advisors & air support
2. the Taliban
3. the anti-Taliban Tajiks and other minorities

Pakistan will host and support the Taliban like they've always done. China will move in, too, not that anyone wants them.

I don't see any good coming from an American withdrawal, especially a sudden pull-out on a symbolic date with emotional significance.

That said, it's been a long and expensive 20 years, many good men killed or badly injured, and for what?

Old 04-16-2021, 06:42 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,004,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Again, I don’t think we will be gone, and I also predict there will be more troops in the entire AOR than there are currently. So us leaving, if we even do that, will not mean anything other than Biden getting to bash Bush for starting this mess.

The situation is destabilizing, it’s not getting more peaceful.
It's very difficult to do. To extricate yourself from a military situation, especially when you aren't winning. That's one of the reasons I was impressed with President Ford. Nixon started the process to get us out of Vietnam, but Ford is the one who got it done. Kudos to him.

--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues