Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 09:06 AM

37,477 posts, read 61,459,729 times

Advertisements

There is a political push to have the military developed a lot of new commands to exclusively focus on investigating sexual harassment complaints.

I have been seeing a few articles about the White House wanting to change how the military investigates sexual harassment incidents.

It seems they want harassment complaints to go to an outside command, that focuses on nothing else but investigating this type of complaint.

I am not sure if I support this idea. I understand that there have been a lot of reports of sexual harassment made from within the military and that each complaint needs to be thoroughly investigated.

I had thought the military was getting 'better' in this regard.

If we set up a thousand additional commands, of exclusively senior desk-jockey personnel, focused on investigating these complaints. The added infrastructure for all of these new commands will be an added burden to the cost of maintaining a standing military.

Is that what we 'need'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 09:37 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,128,504 times
It is needed for those whose reports gave been dismissed, disregarded or buried by the chain of command. It is needed for those who have been transferred or hounded out of the Service as if they were the ones in the wrong.

Complaints need to be taken seriously and investigated by people who are impartial and have not had any previous contact or relationship with any of the parties involved in the incident.

I think it is important for both the accused and the accuser.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:37 AM

8,499 posts, read 6,911,311 times
Don’t know about a special command but it’s a new world with women being fully integrated into every level of the military. Irregardless of gender no military member should be sexually harassment. Things change. I went through Marine Corps boot camp here years ago. Now women recruits train with men but live in separate barracks.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:41 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,022,663 times
The first step to halting sexual harassment/assault cases in the military is to make it so that if the accuser makes a provable false accusation they are automatically dishonorably discharged from the military.

Nearly 10 percent of cases are shown to be false.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:48 AM

6,145 posts, read 3,369,265 times
When I enlisted back in 1990, things were out of control, I readily admit it. Not trying to say that everyone was being raped, because that’s not true, but many things could’ve been handled so much better. Let me put it this way: If I was to advise a female family member on joining the military back then in ‘90, there was no way in hell I would have ever let them enlist back in 1990.

Fast forward 30 years later, and it’s night and day different. I would have zero problems with any female family member joining the military of today. Complaints are heard, and they are taken seriously. I even wonder sometimes if the scales aren’t tipped too much in favor of the accuser nowadays, but I’ll leave that for the JAG or ADC to chime in, if any are on here.

But I’m sure someone who was wronged will jump on here and dispute what I wrote, and sure, there is still probably a case here or there where justice wasn’t done. But I stand by what I wrote: it’s night and day, head and shoulders better than 30 years ago, back in the Tailhook days.

So I’m not convinced that a whole new command needs to be stood up. Each service has its own investigators who have autonomy outside the operational commands. That seems to work pretty well, in my opinion.

Last edited by WK91; 05-04-2021 at 10:58 AM..

Old 05-04-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
When I enlisted back in 1990, things were out of control, I readily admit it. Not trying to say that everyone was being raped, because that’s not true, but many things could’ve been handled so much better. Let me put it this way: If I was to advise a female family member on joining the military back then in ‘90, there was no way in hell I would have ever let them enlist back in 1990.

Fast forward 30 years later, and it’s night and day different. I would have zero problems with any female family member joining the military of today. Complaints are heard, and they are taken seriously. I even wonder sometimes if the scales aren’t tipped too much in favor of the accused nowadays, but I’ll leave that for the JAG or ADC to chime in, if any are on here.

But I’m sure someone who was wronged will jump on here and dispute what I wrote, and sure, there is still probably a case here or there where justice wasn’t done. But I stand by what I wrote: it’s night and day, head and shoulders better than 30 years ago, back in the Tailhook days.
Absolutely.

Old 05-04-2021, 11:04 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,422,665 times
I think things are better now than when I was in, but it is till too hit or miss, with one complaint/command handling everything great, while another dropping the ball every step of the way. If anything, the issue is the lack of consistency.

I have no idea if an entire command needs to be set up though, seems more of a knee jerk reaction to satisfy some vocal politicians, than an actual solution to any issue(s).

They should hold those in the CoC accountable for dropping the ball on complaints the same as they would for anything else, that in my opinion would be the simplest solution. If you are not trusting your CO to carry out a sexual harassment complaint correctly, then why are you trusting the CO to even be in command?

Old 05-04-2021, 11:29 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,023,369 times
No sexual harassment when I served. There were no women..........

Old 05-04-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
No sexual harassment when I served. There were no women..........
Unless you are nearly 90 there were women in the military. Just maybe not where you were stationed.

Old 05-04-2021, 11:42 AM

46,319 posts, read 27,152,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
It is needed for those whose reports gave been dismissed, disregarded or buried by the chain of command. It is needed for those who have been transferred or hounded out of the Service as if they were the ones in the wrong.

Complaints need to be taken seriously and investigated by people who are impartial and have not had any previous contact or relationship with any of the parties involved in the incident.

I think it is important for both the accused and the accuser.
There is no need to have any outside source because there is already an outside source it's called Sexual Assault Response Coordinator (SARC)...every installation has one, and it is completely disjointed from that command, just for that reason....the command won't be doing the investigation.

https://home.army.mil/mccoy/index.ph...evention-sharp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues