Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 08:47 AM

37,500 posts, read 61,484,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
eta: I just saw where YOU personally knew where the wmd were lol wow, you could have stepping in and been a hero pointing out where they were, you missed your chance RK!
We just keep finding all this WMD, that some still insist does not exist. Even as this guy was sentenced to 15 years in prison for shipping mustard gas into Iraq, which was used against Kurds.

"Mr. Van Anraat shipped chemicals from the United States to Belgium and from Belgium to Iraq ...
He also shipped chemicals from Japan to Italy, and then overland to Iraq. ...
Mr. Van Anraat has acknowledged selling thiodiglycol, a main component of mustard gas, to Iraq ...
Mr. Van Anraat delivered more than 1,000 tonnes of thiodiglycol ... to Iraq and more than 800 tonnes ended up on the battlefield."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto.../International/

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/europe/...m_gets_15_years

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=100...8A&refer=europe

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/1.0/-/2...ope/4555000.stm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?

xml=/news/2005/12/23/uanraat.xml&sSheet=/portal/2005/12/23/ixportaltop.html

http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/b...ds-found-iraq/

The New York Times has admitted in a front page report that thousands of WMDs were found in Iraq since the start of the war: From 2004 to 2011, American ... repeatedly encountered, and on at least six occasions were wounded by, chemical weapons ... In all, ... roughly 5,000 chemical warheads, shells or aviation bombs,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 09:24 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

The New York Times has admitted in a front page report that thousands of WMDs were found in Iraq since the start of the war: From 2004 to 2011, American ... repeatedly encountered, and on at least six occasions were wounded by, chemical weapons ... In all, ... roughly 5,000 chemical warheads, shells or aviation bombs,
You are gaslighting.

The claim by the Bush administration (primarily Cheney and Rumsfeld) was that Iraq had "stockpiles" of ready, usable WMD. "We know where they are," Rumsfeld said. "They can deploy them within twenty minutes," Cheney said.

Both were lying. Flat out lying.

What Iraq had were their old munitions from the 80s that they had buried...because there was no way in the early 90s to destroy them. Even the US had no safe destruction technology for Sarin until the latter 90s.

All the warheads stumbled upon during the Iraq invasion were those old 80s munitions that had been buried. There were no "stockpiles" of ready weapons discovered.

It's unfortunate and even negligent that any American troops were injured by stumbling upon those weapons, because the locations of those burial sites were known...contained in 10-year-old TOP SECRET databases in the Pentagon.

Old 05-27-2021, 10:33 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,318,667 times
I can't comment on the book that was posted, but I read this in grad school; it was a fascinating read:

https://www.amazon.com/Bananas-Unite.../dp/1847671942

Old 05-27-2021, 10:51 AM

37,500 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Links that remain available on the inter-web to this day are few.

I distinctly recall news articles about two mobile bio-chem labs that were found minus the actual WMDs. With most WMDs dump them out on the ground in the desert and a month later there will be no trace of them ever existing.

There was enough evidence at the time to convict a Mr. Van Anraat [a Dutch merchant] for shipping chemical weapons. So as we debate if they existed, he sits in prison.

Old 05-27-2021, 11:25 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,425,664 times
Quote:
We just keep finding all this WMD, that some still insist does not exist. Even as this guy was sentenced to 15 years in prison for shipping mustard gas into Iraq, which was used against Kurds.

"Mr. Van Anraat shipped chemicals from the United States to Belgium and from Belgium to Iraq ...
He also shipped chemicals from Japan to Italy, and then overland to Iraq. ...
Mr. Van Anraat has acknowledged selling thiodiglycol, a main component of mustard gas, to Iraq ...
Mr. Van Anraat delivered more than 1,000 tonnes of thiodiglycol ... to Iraq and more than 800 tonnes ended up on the battlefield."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto.../International/

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/europe/...m_gets_15_years

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=100...8A&refer=europe

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/1.0/-/2...ope/4555000.stm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?

xml=/news/2005/12/23/uanraat.xml&sSheet=/portal/2005/12/23/ixportaltop.html

I think only one of your links worked, Van Anraat was convicted of selling during the Iran-Iraq War, which was way before the topic of discussion which is Iraq's WMD program that was one of the reasons for the Iraq War.

Thousands of WMD's were not found in Iraq, lol. Iraq had no program as was stated, and any munitions found were either inert, parts, etc, but were not functional and certainly not functional in a sense they had a WMD program, and they had the capability of initiating a mass destruction attack at a moments notice, and definitely not to an extent that justified an invasion.

The fact that every person in the chain of command has stated they were incorrect regarding WMD is pretty telling, but it is even better when people like you still want to continue the false mantra of "Iraq had WMD".

Old 05-27-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Links that remain available on the inter-web to this day are few.

I distinctly recall news articles about two mobile bio-chem labs that were found minus the actual WMDs. With most WMDs dump them out on the ground in the desert and a month later there will be no trace of them ever existing.

There was enough evidence at the time to convict a Mr. Van Anraat [a Dutch merchant] for shipping chemical weapons. So as we debate if they existed, he sits in prison.
Again, Van Anraat's conviction was from actions taken in the 1980's, long before the dismantling of Iraq's WMD program.

Old 05-27-2021, 03:33 PM

6,160 posts, read 3,380,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You are gaslighting.

The claim by the Bush administration (primarily Cheney and Rumsfeld) was that Iraq had "stockpiles" of ready, usable WMD. "We know where they are," Rumsfeld said. "They can deploy them within twenty minutes," Cheney said.

Both were lying. Flat out lying.

What Iraq had were their old munitions from the 80s that they had buried...because there was no way in the early 90s to destroy them. Even the US had no safe destruction technology for Sarin until the latter 90s.

All the warheads stumbled upon during the Iraq invasion were those old 80s munitions that had been buried. There were no "stockpiles" of ready weapons discovered.

It's unfortunate and even negligent that any American troops were injured by stumbling upon those weapons, because the locations of those burial sites were known...contained in 10-year-old TOP SECRET databases in the Pentagon.
It seems like you are trying to clarify that they didn’t have “serious” WMD. That’s not the discussion. The media always says over and over that there was no WMD. NONE. That’s what I am refuting.

That’s a lie, because there was definitely WMD. Just because they didn’t have a state of the art distribution platform is beside the point.

Also, I’ve always stated that the nonsense that they had Powell speak about with his mobile labs and such, Im not certain those existed.

So if you want my clarification, here it is:

Hussein gassed the Iranians in the 80’s. That is WMD
Hussein gassed the Kurds in 1991. That is WMD
He kept his WMD during the no fly years. He had WMD
He moved them around like chess pieces to make Hans Blix look like an idiot. He had WMD
When the invasion was imminent, he sent some overland to Syria. Assad may have even used some of it recently. Although I’m not sure if he used any at all, that could just have been the Syrian rebels lying about it so they could get western sympathy to help them topple Assad.

I’m not sure why you are so dead set against it being trucked to Syria. There is plenty of research on this. Is it because you hate Bush and Cheney that you desperately want there to be no trace of WMD in Iraq? I don’t care for either one of them too. But I know better when everyone in the MSM keeps saying there was no WMD.

Old 05-27-2021, 04:08 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
It seems like you are trying to clarify that they didn’t have “serious” WMD. That’s not the discussion. The media always says over and over that there was no WMD. NONE. That’s what I am refuting.

That’s a lie, because there was definitely WMD. Just because they didn’t have a state of the art distribution platform is beside the point.

Also, I’ve always stated that the nonsense that they had Powell speak about with his mobile labs and such, Im not certain those existed.

He moved them around like chess pieces to make Hans Blix look like an idiot. He had WMD
When the invasion was imminent, he sent some overland to Syria. Assad may have even used some of it recently. Although I’m not sure if he used any at all, that could just have been the Syrian rebels lying about it so they could get western sympathy to help them topple Assad.

I’m not sure why you are so dead set against it being trucked to Syria. There is plenty of research on this.
Plenty of Internet jabber. Zero facts or actual evidence.

Quote:
Is it because you hate Bush and Cheney that you desperately want there to be no trace of WMD in Iraq? I don’t care for either one of them too. But I know better when everyone in the MSM keeps saying there was no WMD.
Strawman argument. I explicitly spelled out that there were still warheads buried in Iraq and why: There was no safe way to destroy them. The US didn't even have a safe way to destroy such weapons at the time. They could only be disassembled and buried...which is how the US troops found them.

Moreover, chemical and biological weapons are not like rifles or jeeps that can be smothered in Cosmoline and buried in the sand. Chemical and biological weapons must be stored in temperature and humidity controlled environments and maintained consistently. Otherwise you wind up with something that will fail to function...or just might blow up in your own face.

I will say this for sure: Saddam Hussein certainly wanted a WMD capability, he was playing a shell game in order to retain as much of the program information as he could, and if the international community had ever taken their eyes off of him, he would certainly have restarted his program.

But that international pressure was quite effective in preventing him from doing that, and he did not have "stockpiles" of weapons ready to use.

Old 05-27-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post

I’m not sure why you are so dead set against it being trucked to Syria. There is plenty of research on this. Is it because you hate Bush and Cheney that you desperately want there to be no trace of WMD in Iraq? I don’t care for either one of them too. But I know better when everyone in the MSM keeps saying there was no WMD.
There was no gas attack in 1991.

Iraq had a WMD in the 80's, that is a fact, he used with US assistance, gas attacks against the Kurds due to their siding with Iran.

Iraq's WMD program was dismantled after the Gulf War.

There is no "plenty of research" on anything else you have stated.

I liked Bush and thought he was a great president, however, he was wrong on the WMD and actually admitted so. So if he can admit it, why do you still advocate for such nonsense?

Assad used what amounts to chlorine for his attacks, if it was even him, this is something anyone can make at home, hardly a "WMD program". I mean they were dropping from helicopters in barrels, lol.

Old 05-28-2021, 01:23 AM

6,160 posts, read 3,380,493 times
I think we are at an impasse here, so this will be my last post on this thread.

You can believe what you want, and I’ll believe what I want.

But the main question, I don’t believe war is a racket.

You want to know what is a racket? Our government sending foreign aid to many adversarial countries, which has nothing to do with war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues