Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 10:01 AM

8,494 posts, read 6,902,842 times

Advertisements

Has there ever been a war where innocent civilians were not killed ? This whole Afghan business has been a tragedy from the get go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2021, 11:53 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,532,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Probably going to see more of this… when it gets as impersonal as seeing everything through a camera lens and using drones. The small amount of humanity left when it is a real time in your face scenario…….is almost gone. When I was a door gunner in Vietnam we had free fire zones…..you could literally shoot anything in that area was considered an enemy…….I saw a guy jump up from behind some brush one day and run……he had no weapon……my personal code was not to shoot anyone not armed…….
I appreciate that you answered the country's call to service. I hope you have more good memories than bad ones of your time in uniform.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:58 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,532,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
The timing of it all makes me really suspicious of the Biden administration and their intent, and possibly taking a great risk on hitting a target that wasn’t fully vetted.
Bingo!

This was joe's equivalent of a half court shot with time running out, hoping to make a 10 point basket. You know it's not going to work. But you figure to give it a try just the same.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:22 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
If this attack on civilians occurred with our troops and intelligence agencies on the ground at the nearby airport, how will future “over the horizon” attacks be more “confirmatory” on intelligence when we have minimal to nobody on the ground?
There is relatively little, if any, interagency coordination between whatever intelligence might have been on the ground (frankly, it would be a mistake to presume there was any) and the surveillance intelligence being collected every day by the drone operators themselves.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:26 PM

3,430 posts, read 1,846,084 times
Quote:
You do know you wandered into the Military forum? Strange there is only a week long statue-of-limitations. Maybe we can get a waiver to discuss topics older than a week in this forum.
That individual is just trolling you.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:53 PM

6,587 posts, read 7,095,508 times
Quote:
You do know you wandered into the Military forum? Strange there is only a week long statue-of-limitations. Maybe we can get a waiver to discuss topics older than a week in this forum.
He does. He is the moderator and admin here.

Old 09-19-2021, 07:17 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
He does. He is the moderator and admin here.
If you're talking about me, I'm not a moderator or admin, but I've been around here a good while and I've been walking around with a military ID card since middle school and collecting DoD paychecks for over fifty years since high school.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:12 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,358,943 times
Quote:
This wasn’t a friendly fire attack. As WK said above, there were likely a string of events that resulted in civilians, who weren’t just possibly helping terrorists, misguided, etc., but aid workers, with kids, transporting water. Absolutely tragic.

And the initial response by general Milley and the pentagon spokesman was assurances that this was a “righteous attack” and they confirmed secondary explosions from the van being attacked. Completed false, and the pentagon spokesman hasn’t said he either lied or what information he received that was wrong. Hard to believe this was originally an honest mistake that turned horribly wrong.

It’s natural to think that the narrative on the “two bombers” that were attacked the next day (following the deaths of 13 service members) in a remote region even occurred or if that too was a errant missle strike:
https://dailycaller.com/2021/08/28/p...e-one-wounded/. The names of those two “high profile” ISIS-K have not been identified.

If this attack on civilians occurred with our troops and intelligence agencies on the ground at the nearby airport, how will future “over the horizon” attacks be more “confirmatory” on intelligence when we have minimal to nobody on the ground?
Good point about Milley. His initial statement ended up being patently absurd. He was so wrong, that it makes me believe they straight up fabricated it. You don’t say there were secondary explosions when there were none there.

The whole thing was rushed, and they put out a statement that they hoped was true. There was a chance it could be terrorists, and they took action. That’s best case scenario.

Worst case scenario is that they randomly chose a vehicle, hit it, and then purposefully fabricated a story.

The truth is usually somewhere between the two extremes.

Old 09-20-2021, 03:34 AM

10 posts, read 4,494 times
The drone strike was just a mistake. Mistakes in war happen often. If Afghanistan was a decent Christian country there would be no wars there. Islam is evil and un-American. Only Jesus saves, but those wicked Afghan Muslims reject God. I wish America would just bomb evil Afghanistan out of existence, and the world would then be a better place.
God bless America.

Old 09-20-2021, 04:52 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,096,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Good point about Milley. His initial statement ended up being patently absurd. He was so wrong, that it makes me believe they straight up fabricated it. You don’t say there were secondary explosions when there were none there.

The whole thing was rushed, and they put out a statement that they hoped was true. There was a chance it could be terrorists, and they took action. That’s best case scenario.

Worst case scenario is that they randomly chose a vehicle, hit it, and then purposefully fabricated a story.

The truth is usually somewhere between the two extremes.
There should also be a renewed push for the Pentagon to release the names of the “high profile bomb facilitators “. https://cnsnews.com/article/internat...profile-isis-k

The names of the deceased are usually quickly released by the Pentagon.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/02/o...gen/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues