Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2021, 09:22 AM

450 posts, read 284,810 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what the 8 and 4 are for this unit?

https://militaryyearbookproject.org/...t-platoon-7156

I know that when I went to basic training at Ft. Dix, A-1-26 meant Alpha Co. 1st Battalion, 26th Infantry Regiment. I'm not sure of what the 8 and 4 signify in the above unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 10:54 AM

12,393 posts, read 8,170,832 times
8-4 so not a cavalry regiment which would have been 8/4. I don't know about 1972 but a decade later the 4th Training Brigade was the general basic training unit and during summers the R.O.T.C. Basic Camp at Fort Knox where as the 1st Training Brigade took recruits destined for armored and cavalry units. So Echo Company 8th Battalion 4th Training Brigade.

Old 11-21-2021, 12:05 PM

450 posts, read 284,810 times
I was hoping for a few more replies to confirm. Anyway, thank you for your input on this, Taiko!

Old 11-24-2021, 08:18 PM

12,393 posts, read 8,170,832 times
Probably because armored forces are as young as aviation and only the 2nd Armored Division in WWII was in the triangle regimental organization the basic training units at Fort Knox did not carry regimental designations but brigade identity. Thus is different from say the Infantry regiments doing basic training at say Fort Jackson.

The armored forces were mostly independent battalions chopped down to infantry division or when part of the other armored divisions assigned to the brigade like Combat Command (A, B and Reserve) headquarters as the mission dictated.

The Cavalry being much older and historic do carry those regimental distinctions as compared to the modern "armored regiments" as those were set to mirror the rest of the army took their colors from a WWII tank battalions.

Now that armored force training has moved to Fort Benning I think Fort Knox retains the brigade identify but has an even greater percentage of R.O.T.C. training as the Advanced camps have moved for Fort Lewis, Fort Riley and I forgot the other two regions to Fort Knox along with the Basic Camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues