Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 06:00 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times

Advertisements

My choices were East, West, Overseas. (USMC)
The Marines use the Navy for all medical. He could easily be humping a 50# pack, carrying a rifle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 07:02 AM

1,069 posts, read 746,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
As an HM he has the very real possibility of being attached to a US Marine unit (I believe as an E-5 or above) then he'll be in the thick of combat.
Navy Corpsmen in pay grades E-1 through E-9 are assigned to Fleet Marine Force combat units and support battalions. However, the majority of Corpsmen assigned to Marine rifle companies are junior personnel E-1 through E-4 with an occasional E-5 (HM2). Unless they're qualified as Marine Raiders, Force Recon or Navy SEALs more senior Corpsmen are seldom in the "thick of combat". This is a list of the Navy Corpsman that have been awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. The majority were junior Corpsman when they received the Congressional Medal of Honor..

Pre-World War I
  • Hospital Apprentice Robert H. Stanley, USN (Boxer Rebellion)
  • Hospital Apprentice First Class William Zuiderveld, USN (Veracruz Incursion)
  • Hospital Apprentice Fred McGuire, USN (Philippine Insurrection)
  • Hospital Steward William S. Shacklette, USN (Boiler Explosion in San Diego)
World War I
  • Pharmacist's Mate First Class John H. Balch, USN
  • Hospital Apprentice First Class David E. Hayden, USN
World War II
Vietnam War
Afghanistan War

Old 01-11-2022, 07:40 AM

3,269 posts, read 1,748,688 times
I'm just a dumb E-4 one and done SeaBee But I sure as hell wouldn't want to depend on a non-rate (E-1 /E-3) for critical medical care.

Old 01-11-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
I'm just a dumb E-4 one and done SeaBee But I sure as hell wouldn't want to depend on a non-rate (E-1 /E-3) for critical medical care.
You'd be surprised what those young Corpsman can do with regard to critical trauma and wound care in the field. There's a reason that the survival rate for wounded Americans in Afghanistan and Iraq was 92%. It began with well trained and brave young Corpsman who are dedicated to the Marines that they serve with. Just ask any Marine that's served in combat with their Devil Doc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9isWbfmjbg

Old 01-11-2022, 08:21 AM

All Navy Corpsman attend training at Field Medical Training Battalion at either Camp Pendleton, CA or Camp LeJeune, NC prior to serving their first tour with the Fleet Marine Force. This video is a down and dirty overview of the ten week training program. Their training continues once that their in the fleet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IExZuF3Z_Q

Old 01-11-2022, 08:24 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
I need some context for that video: are the corpsman arriving after those buildings have been cleared by other soldiers and simply collecting the injured? Or are the corpsman clearing the buildings on their own?

Old 01-11-2022, 09:09 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcopper View Post
You'd be surprised what those young Corpsman can do with regard to critical trauma and wound care in the field. There's a reason that the survival rate for wounded Americans in Afghanistan and Iraq was 92%. It began with well trained and brave young Corpsman who are dedicated to the Marines that they serve with. Just ask any Marine that's served in combat with their Devil Doc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9isWbfmjbg
Yep. They've proven themselves time and time again.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I need some context for that video: are the corpsman arriving after those buildings have been cleared by other soldiers and simply collecting the injured? Or are the corpsman clearing the buildings on their own?
What Soldiers? Navy Corpsmen provide combat medical support to the Marines not the Army. In the training scenario the Corpsman are clearing the buildings themselves. In combat the FMF Corpsman will be serving with his Marine platoon with one or two other Corpsman. They currently qualify with the M-4 carbine and M-9 or 1911 pistol. It's also common for Corpsmen to carry the 870 shotgun. Their role is to respond immediately to wounded or injured Marines rather than "simply collect the injured". FMF Corpsman are trained in infantry squad tactics as well as to engage they enemy along side their Marines. That includes clearing buildings, setting up ambushes, establishing a field of fire, the use of the Claymore mine, calling in medevacs and doing what ever is necessary to fight the enemy. There's a reason that over the years Navy Corpsmen have received the following combat awards for heroism:

Congressional Medal of Honor: 23
Navy Cross: 179
Distinguished Service Cross: 31
Silver Star Medal: 959
Bronze Star Medal with Combat "V" for heroism: 1,600

Last edited by irishcopper; 01-11-2022 at 10:34 AM..

Old 01-11-2022, 11:21 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Serious question; isn't submarine service one of those where folks opt-in? And doesn't it bring with it better pay since the nature of living on the sub is more difficult?

In any case...there are 350K people in the Navy, from all walks of life, from the best and brightest nuclear physics students to recruits from far more humble backgrounds, and they seem to handle living on a ship just fine.
In my time Submarine Service was all volunteers and there was Hazardous Duty Pay. I assume it is the same but I do not know the amount of Hazardous Duty Pay. About 20% of a class at Sub School did not make it to the end.

Old 01-11-2022, 12:20 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Don't mind the what soldiers we are Marines comments, in today's environment he could be helping soldiers, SEALs airmen regular sailors as well as Marines and soldier is both a specific as well as a generic descriptor.

The general comments is that no matter what the job you go where your unit goes and the enemy might shoot at your unit. And anyone with that unit should have a basic ideal of what is going on in the unit. That is why as a nation we give benefits to veterans who have signed up or were conscripted and forced into the service. And we don't ask to see a Combat Infantryman badge before we do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues