Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 04:03 AM

6,095 posts, read 3,336,497 times

Advertisements

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/militar...icia-rcna35078

Not many people want to serve anymore. Many different reasons, but I feel that it is civilian leadership in DC that is the main problem. They are an absolute embarrassment and what happened in Afghanistan was also an embarrassment. The Generals who have to take a knee to the politicians in power in order to keep their stars aren’t helping either, if we are honest with ourselves. Allowing CRT in the ranks?

Can you blame a young kid for not wanting to serve under that? A big part of the reason why I joined up and served nearly 25 years is because I believed in the ideals of this country. What are the main ideals of the United States in 2022? To spread LGBT across the globe? To enflame Russia by coercing Ukraine into goading them to war?

But if (when) we elect new leaders in DC, I suspect recruiting will get back on track. Of course, NBC and the rest of the media will never tell you any of this. To them, it’s all obesity, drug use, and criminal activity. But recruiting goals have been met as recently as 2020. What’s changed since then? I think we all know the answer.

Old 06-27-2022, 06:38 AM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post

Not many people want to serve anymore. Many different reasons, but I feel that it is civilian leadership in DC that is the main problem. They are an absolute embarrassment and what happened in Afghanistan was also an embarrassment. The Generals who have to take a knee to the politicians in power in order to keep their stars aren’t helping either, if we are honest with ourselves. Allowing CRT in the ranks?

Can you blame a young kid for not wanting to serve under that? A big part of the reason why I joined up and served nearly 25 years is because I believed in the ideals of this country. What are the main ideals of the United States in 2022? To spread LGBT across the globe? To enflame Russia by coercing Ukraine into goading them to war?

But if (when) we elect new leaders in DC, I suspect recruiting will get back on track. Of course, NBC and the rest of the media will never tell you any of this. To them, it’s all obesity, drug use, and criminal activity. But recruiting goals have been met as recently as 2020. What’s changed since then? I think we all know the answer.
I seriously doubt "civilian leadership in DC" would even rank on a poll of "reasons you haven't volunteered."

The article points out the main reason:

Quote:
The pool of those eligible to join the military continues to shrink, with more young men and women than ever disqualified for obesity, drug use or criminal records. Last month, Army Chief of Staff Gen. James McConville testified before Congress that only 23% of Americans ages 17-24 are qualified to serve without a waiver to join, down from 29% in recent years.
Diagnoses of ADHD in the teen years is a disqualifier, for instance, and we know how freely kids are diagnosed with ADHD these days.

Plus:

Quote:
More than half of the young Americans who answered the survey — about 57% — think they would have emotional or psychological problems after serving in the military. Nearly half think they would have physical problems.
And this:

Quote:
Among Americans surveyed by the Pentagon who were in the target age range for recruiting, only 13% had parents who had served in the military, down from approximately 40% in 1995. The military considers parents one of the biggest influencers for service.
I enlisted in 1973, a bit before the draft officially ended (I had a draft card, but had no worry that my number would ever be called). Enlistments were at their lowest point ever--even compared to today--and those points I just quoted weren't even issues back then.

Eighteen-year-olds are rarely worried about who in particular is running the military at the moment.

Old 06-27-2022, 06:49 AM

4,840 posts, read 3,267,271 times
As a recently retired fella with nearly 40 years of active/contract/civil service time, I'll say all the 'wokeism' going on today absolutely affects recruitment to some degree... and retainability to a much larger degree.

I'd expect a big portion of the targeted survey group wouldn't even know about 'civilian leadership'.

Old 06-27-2022, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
As a recently retired fella with nearly 40 years of active/contract/civil service time, I'll say all the 'wokeism' going on today absolutely affects recruitment to some degree... and retainability to a much larger degree.

I'd expect a big portion of the targeted survey group wouldn't even know about 'civilian leadership'.
Generation Z is "woke" themselves. They're all about "woke."

Old 06-27-2022, 06:52 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post

I joined in 97 and seeing how those idiots Milley and Austin are screwing up our beloved military now, I don't blame kids for not wanting to join. Look at the garbage they're pulling on the Spec Ops commands and trying to force them to allow females in and change the PT requirements for tgem. Those two morons have been watching too much TV ...

Old 06-27-2022, 06:59 AM

12,107 posts, read 23,271,144 times
I would guess 99.9% of potential recruits don't know anything about civilian or military leadership at all.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:03 AM

4,840 posts, read 3,267,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Generation Z is "woke" themselves. They're all about "woke."
A lot of them, yes... but I'm not seeing that in my real life associations with them. They know it's a 'thing' and that's the way it is, but a great many of them are smart enough to know how stupid it is.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
A lot of them, yes... but I'm not seeing that in my real life associations with them. They know it's a 'thing' and that's the way it is, but a great many of them are smart enough to know how stupid it is.
I work with a lot of teens, and I don't know any that aren't as "woke" as the DoD is woke. Remember that the DoD still isn't all that "woke" at all, except in the opinion of a bunch of grizzled retirees from the three generations older than generation Z.

Old 06-27-2022, 09:58 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,081 times
As a retired Air Force Vet and current Civil Service employee, I see the "recruits" that are coming in the military today and just shake my head. They teach them to be "woke" in basic training/boot camp and get catered to so they won't get their little feelings hurt. The old guard is all gone/retired.

Old 06-27-2022, 11:38 AM

737 posts, read 409,146 times
The standards are too high and the potential candidates are too high too. As a government civilian and retired military, I can say this generation is generally weak minded. Also, I sense they don't want to do the little things to eventually win/complete big things. Not all is bad, I am very impressed with some of them with the can-do attitude and smarts...though over the years that percentage is getting lower and lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues