Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 01:03 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post

Anyway, it amazed me how open the border area at JSA actually was. Anyone on the tour could’ve briskly walked into North Korea before the Security Battalion could’ve reacted, at least it seemed like it to me. They were overseeing everything, but from where they were standing off to the side, just seemed like someone could’ve went into North Korea if they were determined to do so.

So to me, it’s somewhat surprising that it took this long for some idiot to walk into North Korea just for the thrill of it, which is what I am assuming happened, although it’s not completely clear yet. Of course, now that it’s happened, they will have to completely revamp the tours to ensure it never happens again.
They don't need to watch it closely or be ready to intervene.
Only mentally ill or desperate would willingly run over the border to the NK side.
And when it happens, they aren't going to chase that person and return. In contrary, they will capture such idiot and get as much useful info as they can, then use him for their own agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2023, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
It’s the first we heard about it, wouldn’t doubt it’s happened before but was never made known to the public, I wonder if he was distracted by his phone and earbuds.
You don't read the news, clearly. This story is not only all over national news but pretty much worldwide. Such idiocy doesn't happen every day.
Anyway there is a long thread on PoC if you want to know more:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...korea-how.html

Old 07-21-2023, 03:33 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You don't read the news, clearly. This story is not only all over national news but pretty much worldwide. Such idiocy doesn't happen every day.
Anyway there is a long thread on PoC if you want to know more:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...korea-how.html
Feel better about yourself. Look at what I was responding to. I do know this story made international news. What I was referring to is if any other similar cases has happened in the past almost 70 years since the end of combat in Korea with US troops stationed in South Korea. In the past there wasn’t a culture of everyone carrying a device that could record video and instantly upload the video to an internet easily accessed around the world.

Old 07-21-2023, 11:20 PM

At least five U.S. soldiers are known to have defected to North Korea in the seven decades since an armistice agreement was signed to end the Korean War, creating North and South Korea.
These soldiers were allowed to remain in North Korea and most of them spent the remainder of their lives there.

While Americans who have been held in North Korea have given different accounts of their treatment during their time in captivity, most have ultimately been released safely to return to the United States

Here is a good article about that:
https://www.newsweek.com/us-citizens...s-king-1814240

Last edited by elnina; 07-21-2023 at 11:31 PM..

Old 07-22-2023, 06:51 AM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
At least five U.S. soldiers are known to have defected to North Korea in the seven decades since an armistice agreement was signed to end the Korean War, creating North and South Korea.
These soldiers were allowed to remain in North Korea and most of them spent the remainder of their lives there.

While Americans who have been held in North Korea have given different accounts of their treatment during their time in captivity, most have ultimately been released safely to return to the United States

Here is a good article about that:
https://www.newsweek.com/us-citizens...s-king-1814240
Western media constantly lies and/or gets things wrong when it comes to North Korea. I’m very skeptical of their claim that North Korea “is grappling with Covid”. That’s absurd, and they are likely better off without wide scale deployment of the vaccine. If they are limiting travel, it’s likely due to other factors. But again, you never get the truth from western media about North Korea.

So I don’t think Covid will have any affect on how this kid is treated.

I suspect the Chinese have been consulted on how best to exploit this situation, for both North Korea and China. I also think that they are very glad the kid is an African American. They seen the outpouring of hysterics when it came to Griner in Russia. They also know that the Biden administration will try to win political points from their base by securing his release, so I expect they will give up a lot to get him back. If he was a white conservative, I doubt they’d even care, he’d rot in North Korea.

I’m not sure what the North Koreans want, but unless it’s something too outrageous, they will likely get it.

If it was me, I’d let the North Koreans know that we want him back, but we aren’t going to give up anything to get him back because he willing walked across to avoid a criminal sentence.

But then again, I’m not trying to get African Americans to keep voting for me, either.

Old 07-22-2023, 11:09 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Western media constantly lies and/or gets things wrong when it comes to North Korea. I’m very skeptical of their claim that North Korea “is grappling with Covid”. That’s absurd, and they are likely better off without wide scale deployment of the vaccine. If they are limiting travel, it’s likely due to other factors. But again, you never get the truth from western media about North Korea.

So I don’t think Covid will have any affect on how this kid is treated.

I suspect the Chinese have been consulted on how best to exploit this situation, for both North Korea and China. I also think that they are very glad the kid is an African American. They seen the outpouring of hysterics when it came to Griner in Russia. They also know that the Biden administration will try to win political points from their base by securing his release, so I expect they will give up a lot to get him back. If he was a white conservative, I doubt they’d even care, he’d rot in North Korea.

I’m not sure what the North Koreans want, but unless it’s something too outrageous, they will likely get it.

If it was me, I’d let the North Koreans know that we want him back, but we aren’t going to give up anything to get him back because he willing walked across to avoid a criminal sentence.

But then again, I’m not trying to get African Americans to keep voting for me, either.
I will agree with you about covid but not for your reasons. More like it is more or less has gone through it's cycle because of the closed society it is. It has few citizens that have enough resources to go to other places.

I agree with you on how we approach his incarceration.

Not for anything, something is always exchanged for another.

One point I will say, I do not think that the tours to the border need to anything more than to remind folks of previous encounters with the people on the other side of the border.

I feel real bad for his family.

Old 07-22-2023, 12:23 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
If the U.S. makes it clear that this is a mental illness situation, it will reduce the guy's propaganda value.
I don't think it'll matter as the news that he's mentally unwell won't get to the audience that propaganda is most useful for here (e.g. the North Korean people). In other words, the reality of this guy's mental situation won't make a difference to NK propaganda efforts to portray him as a hostile US soldier infringing on Korean sovereignty, etc.

Old 07-22-2023, 12:31 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
If folks want to know why we're going to probably wait even longer before hearing about this guy's status, consider that he crossed around the same time that the US docked a nuclear-armed submarine in South Korea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAjMMaA1oYw

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com.../101958234.cms

Old 07-22-2023, 03:01 PM

1,462 posts, read 657,996 times
As I've thought about this post, I'm always reminded of the ugly truth of the polarization of this country. I'm not young and remember a time when Americans would unify over something like this and would never remark that the President will try extra hard to get the soldier back to score some votes in the next election. How cynical we have become. And our lack of empathy is really escalating.

The parents of this young soldier have already lost a son. This is a devastating and shattering experience for the family. And of course we'll hear next from all the 'humble braggers' who will not silently count their blessing with their own children but will 'virtue signal' that their child would never ever ever do something like that. That might be the case but just be grateful you're not trying to live with the crushing grief, worry and stress this American family is going through.

Old 07-22-2023, 05:16 PM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
As I've thought about this post, I'm always reminded of the ugly truth of the polarization of this country. I'm not young and remember a time when Americans would unify over something like this and would never remark that the President will try extra hard to get the soldier back to score some votes in the next election. How cynical we have become. And our lack of empathy is really escalating.

The parents of this young soldier have already lost a son. This is a devastating and shattering experience for the family. And of course we'll hear next from all the 'humble braggers' who will not silently count their blessing with their own children but will 'virtue signal' that their child would never ever ever do something like that. That might be the case but just be grateful you're not trying to live with the crushing grief, worry and stress this American family is going through.
He willingly walked across the border because he didn’t want to face disciplinary action. Everything that is happening to him is self inflicted.

How can the country “unify” over this? Was the country “unified” over Bowe Bergdahl?

You act like this kid was minding his own business and got snatched by the North Koreans.

I’m sure his parents are worried about him, but that still doesn’t change the fact that he did this to himself.

Lastly, how do you know that the North Koreans will treat him poorly? They have treated some past defectors fairly decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues