Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 07:48 PM

30,616 posts, read 18,198,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
More details:

https://themessenger.com/news/exclus...to-north-korea

Also consideration that the NK might have been contacted and informed about his plans to defect.
And the plot thickens. Given that I'd imagine that the NKs would shoot any regular person running across the DMZ, I think it's a pretty good chance that they knew about his plans beforehand. But there was a van waiting for the guy on the other side apparently by the looks of that article

Probably trying to assess what kind of propaganda value they can gain from this before making any public announcement.

I just hope to god that he didn't have knowledge of any serious classified materials that he's able to share with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 08:01 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I’m sure his parents are worried about him, but that still doesn’t change the fact that he did this to himself.

Ten bucks says his parents are used to him pulling this kind of shizit, and they came up with the boohoo over a 7yo cousin just to make it seem less insidious than what the truth probably is, that this kid has been a problem child for awhile. As a parent, I might actually even think to myself briefly, "Well, he's done it now, and we can't do a damn thing to help him this time. Fnck around and find out there Junior." I'd still be worried but maybe this time the kid will learn a lesson.

Old 07-24-2023, 08:35 AM

6,092 posts, read 3,332,788 times
Quote:
More details:

https://themessenger.com/news/exclus...to-north-korea

Also consideration that the NK might have been contacted and informed about his plans to defect.
In my opinion, there is about a 0.0% chance that a 20 year old Private in the US Army would be able to contact anyone in the North Korean military from South Korea.

However, since things are different over the last decade as far as social media is concerned, I guess it is slightly feasible that a nK operative who is in the South might’ve made contact with him while he was being confined and convinced him to defect.

But why would they do that? Of what benefit would a kid like this be to them?

If there was such an operation going on in South Korea, you’d think the North Koreans would’ve chosen someone higher in rank, someone in a critical MOS or AFSC, and tried to turn that much more valuable asset.

Again, I’m having a really hard time buying this thing was pre-coordinated with nK.

Old 07-24-2023, 09:14 AM

735 posts, read 407,850 times
I don't think any of the deserters had a stellar career or were promising to be productive citizens anyways. Don't allow him to come back and let him distribute his DNA there. Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.

Old 07-25-2023, 03:44 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,254,683 times
Quote:
In my opinion, there is about a 0.0% chance that a 20 year old Private in the US Army would be able to contact anyone in the North Korean military from South Korea.

However, since things are different over the last decade as far as social media is concerned, I guess it is slightly feasible that a nK operative who is in the South might’ve made contact with him while he was being confined and convinced him to defect.

If there was such an operation going on in South Korea, you’d think the North Koreans would’ve chosen someone higher in rank, someone in a critical MOS or AFSC, and tried to turn that much more valuable asset.

Again, I’m having a really hard time buying this thing was pre-coordinated with nK.
I can see where thy can dream up a tale of a mistreated black from the racist USA crossing over and how well they treat him. Just to make the USA look bad.

Old 07-26-2023, 05:02 PM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Ten bucks says his parents are used to him pulling this kind of shizit, and they came up with the boohoo over a 7yo cousin just to make it seem less insidious than what the truth probably is, that this kid has been a problem child for awhile. As a parent, I might actually even think to myself briefly, "Well, he's done it now, and we can't do a damn thing to help him this time. Fnck around and find out there Junior." I'd still be worried but maybe this time the kid will learn a lesson.

He isn't even listed on that child obituary.
https://www.morrisfamilyservices.com...ies/king-gates

Old 07-26-2023, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Not that they have selection of high ranking US officers who want to defect. I guess they take what they get, since no one from the military defected since the 60s.
They will use him in many ways and since he is desperate, he probably comply.

Old 07-27-2023, 06:32 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
He isn't even listed on that child obituary.
https://www.morrisfamilyservices.com...ies/king-gates

The obit is...unusual to say the least. I've never seen one where they go into such detail on the disease of the deceased.

Old 08-02-2023, 11:33 PM

North Korea has responded to requests for information about the whereabouts of US soldier Travis King for the first time since he crossed into the country, the UN Command has confirmed.
The UN Command refused to give further details "in order not to interfere with our efforts to get him home".

However, the reply indicates Pyongyang could be ready to start negotiating.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-...mpaign=KARANGA

Old 08-03-2023, 07:42 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,079,726 times
Quote:
North Korea has responded to requests for information about the whereabouts of US soldier Travis King for the first time since he crossed into the country, the UN Command has confirmed.
The UN Command refused to give further details "in order not to interfere with our efforts to get him home".

However, the reply indicates Pyongyang could be ready to start negotiating.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-...mpaign=KARANGA
Maybe the U.S. can trade a Costco sized toilet package for his return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues